Length of pull testing

This is what we do.
crsteven
B Poster
B Poster

Length of pull testing

Post by crsteven »

Anyone play with LOP for improved hold and what were the results? Correct one best or better with short or long LOP? Gun is 2 inches short now and have time to play.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Length of pull testing

Post by acorneau »

Absolutely.

I had settled on a LOP of 14.5" for my various rifles, but not long ago I had to borrow a smallbore rifle from a friend. Unexpectedly, his LOP was much longer than mine, closer to 15.5", even though he's not any taller than I am. I actually liked it quite a bit and it made me reconsider the LOP on my own rifle.

I've since added an additional slip-on butt-pad that adds a good 3/4" to bring it to about 15.25" and I can't believe that it took me this long to discover that I should have done that adjustment a long time ago.

The point is do not be afraid to try something just because you aren't sure if you will like or not. Everything should be up for reconsideration if you aren't 100% sure it's exactly how you want it.

:-bd
Allen Corneau
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I have many different gun brands and each one has a unique 'hold'. I try to make all the length of pull dimensions the same but there is another variable that shouldn't be overlooked. That's the distance from where your trigger hand (palm portion) rest on the grip and the dimension from the grip to the trigger shoe. This can make a big difference on how you feel the shot. Too much finger or to little finger on the trigger makes a difference.
ppkny
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

My experience with length of pull testing is the opposite of Allan's. I have used a 14" pull for years, but recently tried a friend's rifle that is 13.5".
That 1/2" makes a big difference for me. The rifle is much more comfortable for trigger finger location and location of my eye to the sights.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I had the same experience as Jim. I started with a 15” LOP but reduced it to move the center of gravity back towards my torso. All I need on a rifle is enough distance between my thumb knuckle and face to be comfortable. The LOP is most critical on a shotgun. Not so much on a rifle.
- Joe