6.5mm Grendel

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

6.5mm Grendel

Post by TheBugFather »

Just some thoughts that I responded to a guy asking me about my Grendel.
He is getting his young son started with this cartridge, someone else might find it useful.
I’m killing time waiting for my son to get out of auto shop class.

My load is:
107gr Sierra Matchkings
130gr Norma Golden Match

107's for first three and 130's for Rams

I use 27.0gr of IMR 8208 XBR powder and CCI 450m primers, very insensitive to temp changes.

My OAL for 107's is 2.350" and 130's is 2.450", smaller cartridges require more careful reloading.

Of course your chamber is probably different from mine.

My bolt's firing pin is "Bushed" which is they turn down the firing pin and close up the firing pin hole for a tighter fit.
This is to prevent primer flow into the firing pin hole.

This load works for me, but you should start at around 23-24 grains and slowly work up.

The Grendel doesn't like bullets heavier than 130's, you will only be disappointed.

I don't have any trouble with the first three animals, and have very good luck with the rams.

The key is to find a ram bullet that is very tough, thick jacket and as streamlined as possible.

The guys using the 6br’s normally drive the bullet too fast and they don't push the target over, they just blow up on impact.
No need to drive anything hard, the key is to keep the bullet in contact with the target for as long as possible, to PUSH it over.
I'm not a very good shooter, I only get to shoot this maybe 1 or 2 times a year, but I get this from my observations and plain old physics.

I would start them off with 107's for all four distances, then work your way up.

The idea is to start hitting them first.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Re: 6.5mm Grendel

Post by jbmarshtx »

Is your chamber a standard SAAMI chamber? I shoot a grendel as well, and someone ask me a few questions about it for silhouette. It sounds like the same gentleman. I've got a new barrel just sitting, and i was thinking of getting it chambered a bit longer than normal. Based on your OAL, I am assuming that you're rifle is chambered to hand a bit more OAL.

I shoot H4895, 108s and Berger 130s. My load for the bergers seems a bit hotter than yours, but similar to you I have had decent results on the rams I hit. I loaded up some 139s with VV140 and their book max load that took down the few I shot off the bench just to see.

The biggest drawback that I see with it is the bolt head size. But, with a few manufacturers chambering factory rifles in the 6.5 grendel now, that is less of an issue unless you want a remington 700. Custom actions less of an issue.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 6.5mm Grendel

Post by TheBugFather »

The 6.5 Grendel was developed by Alexander Arms and Lapua back in 2003. I had my reamer made by Pacific Tool & Gauge in 2004, based off of the original Alexander Arms drawings. Just a few weeks later, Alexander Arms told Pacific Tool to no longer offer it for sale. I only tightened the specs a little to be better suited to a bolt action rifle and not a semi-auto. It was not until 2010 that SAAMI had certified it. I still use the original Alexander Arms brass made by Lapua. My friend, who chambered my rifle, still has my reamer and go/no go set. He still uses it for the occasional handgun silhouette shooter who is looking for a 6.5 Grendel.

I run mine in a Rem Model Seven action, which is the same as an XP-100 or a XR-100 action. Only difference is with or without a solid bottom single shot magazine. I've been meaning to put it in my XR-100 action for a long time, but it shoots so well, I just don't want to mess up things. And like I said, I'm not a very good shot and only get a chance to shoot it maybe once or twice a year. Not as many 500 meter rifle ranges here in California, like in the past.

I built mine to comply with the then Hunter Rifle requirement for a factory loaded cartridge, and because I'm recoil sensitive. I had my bolt "bushed" and the bolt head diameter reduced with a popular back then, SAKO extractor installed.

Below is what I think would be the ultimate Ram bullet for the Grendel, if it ever becomes available, thick heavy jacket and ballistically efficient.

Thanks for feeding my need to boast about my rifle. :lol:

Dennis O.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.