SPORTING .22 RF OPEN SIGHTS RIFLE SILHOUETTE

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: SPORTING .22 RF OPEN SIGHTS RIFLE SILHOUETTE

Post by lone ringer »

To make sure everyone understands the description of the Sporting .22 RF Open Sights rifle silhouette. I will try to explain the difference between peep sights and open sights on rifles that come with them from the factory. I already had questions on two different models of rifles that come from the factory with peep sights (round aperture sight) installed. One is the Mossberg 46B and the other is a Winchester model 62. Their owners argued that the rifles are Sporters (not target) and came with the iron sights (peep sights) installed from the factory. Both brands and models were also offered with open sights. I am not insensitive to their situations wanting to use equipment they already own, the only thing is that I am not going willing to open a can of worms by allowing equipment that do not meet the rifle's description 100%. Not knowing all of the makes and models made and own by you guys, please let me know if the rifle you want may be questionable. If the description of the rifle called for iron sights instead of open sights I would not have a problem with them using them. Open sight are usually attached to the barrel, rather than the action. If the open sight attaches to the action's groves, it better be a Sporting (hunting) rifle with an open sight installed originally at the factory. All of these requirements are going to be included in the program. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible but what is clear in my mind may not be so clear to yours.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Lone ringer,I understand your rules for this match at Raton.I would abide by whatever is decided upon.
I’m referring to more local matches and would shoot out of competition if any equipment issues arises.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

hermit5 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:04 pm Lone ringer,I understand your rules for this match at Raton.I would abide by whatever is decided upon.
I’m referring to more local matches and would shoot out of competition if any equipment issues arises.
Hermit5, my comment was not directed to anybody in particular. I am certain that in many parts of the country shooters are having fun using rifles with iron sights. One rifle club near me once a month holds an iron sight match shooting 1/2 targets. Granted the distances maybe a little off than official distances but nobody cares. As far as equipment is concerned shooters show up with full fledge target rifles, lever action, hunting rifles with target sights, etc. The rules are for .22RF rifles with iron sights and even the time is not officially kept, they give a load and fire command and the shooting stops when the last shooter finishes. Awards? some time pins, most of the time nothing is given. They charge $15 and that is because the club officials tell the match director what to charge. Another club I go too charges $10 and the for record shooting starts around 9:30 and goes on for a few hours, around 1:00 or so when people are done shooting the long range we help put the targets away. What do we shoot at? Targets for all three lever action disciplines and 1/5 size targets for those shooters that want to shoot scoped rifles. The match director calls the line and we reset our own targets every two relays when ten targets are shot at. He does not care what kind of equipment we use, all he cares is that we do it in a safely manner. We have fun at his match and that is why we keep going back. On the other hand serious competition calls for official rules so every other places does it the same way once we hopefully start having state, regional and national matches.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Open sights….

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Factory peep sights generally adjust with far more precision than open sights. Seems like a can of worms to me.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

For me using peep sights is not a matter of better adjusting it’s a vision issue. I had cataract surgery a few years ago and had blended lenses installed. The lens in my right eye is for distance vision and the factory leaf sight on the Remington 512 I shot when I was a kid is extremely blurry.
I have a Winchester 69A that came from the factory with a rear peep sight. If I could use the Winchester I could play the game; Otherwise it seems pointless.

I get the whole keep it simple premise, but there are going to be a lot of older shooters excluded due to their vision.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

One solution to the aging eyes and open sights problem is to use a Merit disc that has a suction cup which attaches to the lens on your glasses.

I used one for years in muzzleloading and there was no problem seeing open sights.

I assume this device would be legal for the open sight lever gun match.

Jim Luke
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

I think one of the main reasons for the match is to reduce barriers and attract more girls and boys and younger shooters to the sport as a whole. What Jim is suggesting seems very helpful for those of us having more difficulty.
Al, I have that same rifle

Dennis
Last edited by TheBugFather on Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

You allow one exception and next thing you know it's match rifles with diopters.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Grantmac wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:54 pm You allow one exception and next thing you know it's match rifles with diopters.
Ah, the good ol' "slippery slope" argument.

:-?
Allen Corneau
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Grantmac wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:54 pm You allow one exception and next thing you know it's match rifles with diopters.
Sweet! 3P rifles on 1/2 scale targets and scopes on lever guns! I’m in!
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

I'm a letter of the law guy when it comes to rules that actually affect performance.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

JohnHenry wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:19 pm One solution to the aging eyes and open sights problem is to use a Merit disc that has a suction cup which attaches to the lens on your glasses.

I used one for years in muzzleloading and there was no problem seeing open sights.

I assume this device would be legal for the open sight lever gun match.

Jim Luke
Anything that is attached to your glasses and not the rifle will be allowed, Jim.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Grantmac wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:34 pm I'm a letter of the law guy when it comes to rules that actually affect performance.
I was being sarcastic... Completely agree that open sights are... open sights. That is the way they shoot it in Mexico.

The stick on aperture on glasses does help for open sights and should be allowed.

If we make it to Raton this year I'm looking forward to this match.

Is there going to be any prizes besides bragging rights?
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

Ok, I bought my rifle for this, where do I sign up?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.