SPORTING .22 RF OPEN SIGHTS RIFLE SILHOUETTE

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: SPORTING .22 RF OPEN SIGHTS RIFLE SILHOUETTE

Post by psteiger »

I'm gonna go get more popcorn. And yes, you shoot that good a-hole. I spotted several 39's for you and yes, I left out John, and a few other people, Laura, Susan, Luke.......Jerry, that old phart, Massey, Eric, but you'll notice only few of them are posting here....
Last edited by psteiger on Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The class Tony is proposing is especially good for the little kids who want to shoot and cannot shoot standing with the typical silhouette rifles.
Small, lower price range rifles without scopes really cut down on the overall weight for the little ones and the 1/2 scale targets allow them to hit some. Win. Win.
Now put some real rules in place that limit the rule stretching people that will inevitably push the limit of the rules and whine to have the rules expanded.
How about no weight added in any way?
How about no trigger jobs?
How about no vests of any kind? (People will say they need a vest to carry their stuff, well use a skeet bag or similar bag on a belt around your waist).
(Better put some rules on that belt.)
How about at the "above local" matches a provided spec "as in cheap" ammo that every single competitor shoots or a certain maximum price level ammo that everybody shoots or a list of approved ammo?
How about no spotting scopes or binoculars? Only the naked eye for spotting.
How about no barrel lining?
Tony, this is not meant to be negative but to just stop the expansion of expense and tinkering before it starts.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

atomicbrh wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:41 pm The class Tony is proposing is especially good for the little kids who want to shoot and cannot shoot standing with the typical silhouette rifles.
Small, lower price range rifles without scopes really cut down on the overall weight for the little ones and the 1/2 scale targets allow them to hit some. Win. Win.
Now put some real rules in place that limit the rule stretching people that will inevitably push the limit of the rules and whine to have the rules expanded.
How about no weight added in any way?
How about no trigger jobs?
How about no vests of any kind? (People will say they need a vest to carry their stuff, well use a skeet bag or similar bag on a belt around your waist).
(Better put some rules on that belt.)
How about at the "above local" matches a provided spec "as in cheap" ammo that every single competitor shoots or a certain maximum price level ammo that everybody shoots or a list of approved ammo?
How about no spotting scopes or binoculars? Only the naked eye for spotting.
How about no barrel lining?
Tony, this is not meant to be negative but to just stop the expansion of expense and tinkering before it starts.
Thank you for the input and the concern!
I understand what you are saying and most of the things that you are suggesting make sense to me but I can tell you that in the years that my friends have practiced the discipline all along the border towns they have not had the need to change the rules. I wanted to introduce the sport to you guys hoping to resuscitate our dying sport. I know that in a few parts of the country the sport, specially SB rifle silhouette is thriving but as a whole the sport is nothing compared to what it was in the 80's and 90's. The Hunting Rifle Class in the early 2000 allowed for the use of custom rifles and that did not help the situation because in my opinion when new shooters were introduced to the sport they found out how much money we were spending on our rifles and decided it was not for them. It is my hope that all of you that run or help run SB Lever Action matches would introduce the new sport at your matches using the very same rules and do not let it become an equipment race.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Yesterday I called the program director at the WC in Raton, NM to inquire about requirement to hold an introductory match before or after the Western Nationals in 2023. What I heard discouraged me because the first thing they wanted from me was a 1 million dollars liability insurance policy and I had to sign a contract with WC.

Then I replied to an Email Jim Luke had sent me the day before and I asked him if it would be possible to make the introductory Sporting Open Sights Rifle Silhouette match be part of his program and I was very happy when I read that he agreed to run the match on July 3, one day before the Western Nationals. He figured that charging $50 would just about cover the entry, lunch and insurance. He told me that running matches at the WC is not cheap.

Depending on how many people wanted to attend the match we could possibly do one 60 or two 40 round matches that day, we are going to reset our own targets to keep the cost of the match as low as possible, by not paying for the use of target setters. I am not making a dime on the money paid to shoot the match. What I want is a show of interest to see how many people would be willing to participate because if I do not get a decent amount of people interested I will not have Jim Luke spend the money needed to increase the liability insurance to run the match, since I would be responsible to pay for the liability insurance for that day.
Rbutler426
Unclassified Poster

Post by Rbutler426 »

Tony, my wife and I were planning on shooting the western nationals this year and if the event was the happen on the 3rd, we were already going to take that day off from work, we would both shoot it. Sounds like fun and another excuse for me to buy a gun!

Robert and stacy butler
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Elaine and I would pay the entry fee.

lone ringers posted rules seemed straight forward to me but seem to be drawing some concern for more rules.

“The rifle requires the use of an unaltered Sporting .22 RF rifle with open sights as it came from the factory (MAYOR MANUFACTURER only) and no one of a kind rifle, all types of rifles included (single shot, bolt action, lever action, pump action and semi-auto). Not allowed: custom rifles, target rifles, bull barrels, thumb hole stocks and other items used in target/match rifle competition).”

Does something along these lines suit folks better:

Rifle Description - any non-magnum .22 caliber rifle produced in quantity by a commercial manufacturer. No custom rifles. Rifle can weigh no more than 7 pounds.
Permitted alterations or additions to rifle as originally produced - None
Open Sights - provided as original equipment on the rifle
Trigger - the factory trigger may be adjusted or tuned but not replaced by an aftermarket option.
* The spirit of this competition is to compete with common sporting .22 rifles excluding rifles built specifically for target sports.

I randomly selected the weight, it may not be the logical choice. If we are looking at rifles that had to come from a commercial manufacturer equipped with open sights and set a weight limit, that excludes most target rifles and goes a long way to narrow the options that wouldn’t fit the spirit of the game.

To me it seems like we want this sport to be open to lots of folks already owning common sporting rifles. If they came from the factory with open sights and weigh less than XX pounds what the barrel or stock profile is seems no concern to me. Vest , no vest, spotting scope, binoculars or naked eye, k-mart ammo or Midus, I don’t care how that shakes out. We will shoot by the rule of the day and have a great time. Shoot that simple old .22 and have fun. The more shooters the better no matter how they dress or spot targets.
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

I must say, I like this concept, sounds like pure fun. I would definitely shoot these matches if they come near me. Durham county wildlife has been shooting 1/2 scale with scopes, called the plinking class, for several years. It shouldn't be much trouble to get them to go along with this platform.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

375Short wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:42 pm Elaine and I would pay the entry fee.

lone ringers posted rules seemed straight forward to me but seem to be drawing some concern for more rules.

“The rifle requires the use of an unaltered Sporting .22 RF rifle with open sights as it came from the factory (MAYOR MANUFACTURER only) and no one of a kind rifle, all types of rifles included (single shot, bolt action, lever action, pump action and semi-auto). Not allowed: custom rifles, target rifles, bull barrels, thumb hole stocks and other items used in target/match rifle competition).”

Does something along these lines suit folks better:

Rifle Description - any non-magnum .22 caliber rifle produced in quantity by a commercial manufacturer. No custom rifles. Rifle can weigh no more than 7 pounds.
Permitted alterations or additions to rifle as originally produced - None
Open Sights - provided as original equipment on the rifle
Trigger - the factory trigger may be adjusted or tuned but not replaced by an aftermarket option.
* The spirit of this competition is to compete with common sporting .22 rifles excluding rifles built specifically for target sports.

I randomly selected the weight, it may not be the logical choice. If we are looking at rifles that had to come from a commercial manufacturer equipped with open sights and set a weight limit, that excludes most target rifles and goes a long way to narrow the options that wouldn’t fit the spirit of the game.

To me it seems like we want this sport to be open to lots of folks already owning common sporting rifles. If they came from the factory with open sights and weigh less than XX pounds what the barrel or stock profile is seems no concern to me. Vest , no vest, spotting scope, binoculars or naked eye, k-mart ammo or Midus, I don’t care how that shakes out. We will shoot by the rule of the day and have a great time. Shoot that simple old .22 and have fun. The more shooters the better no matter how they dress or spot targets.
Sorry for taking so long to reply but I was out of town and I can't log inn this forum with my cell phone (can't remember my password). At any rate 375short I like what you wrote and will be using most of your ideas when I make up the program for the match. I don't want to have a technical inspection or carry a scale or weight to measure rifles and triggers. If someone shows up with a rifle that the jury (there will be a jury at the match) deems not legal, they are going to have the final word. The more detailed the rules are the more chances for the lawyer types to go around and push the envelope, so this Sport's rules are going to be simple. No external alterations or additions, no aftermarket triggers, no spotting scopes, binoculars are allowed as long as they are not attached to tripods, shooting vests are allowed as long as they are not worn tight specially the heavy canvas and leather ones (we will have the 4" PVC pipe available for the shooters to check their own vests) I will not be checking peoples vests, although if someone is and gets protested and the JURY decides that the person protested did not check his/hers vest and it is too tight, it will be their decision to disqualify that person. I want the match to be fun and free of controversy regarding rules, that is why I want to keep them simple. Thank you so much for the input and please don't wait for the Western Lever Action Nationals next year. Start your own matches alongside the SB Lever Action matches if you can. Spread the word, I saw it happen in Mexico already, lots of new shooters, women and kids among them.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

chickenhater wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:48 pm I must say, I like this concept, sounds like pure fun. I would definitely shoot these matches if they come near me. Durham county wildlife has been shooting 1/2 scale with scopes, called the plinking class, for several years. It shouldn't be much trouble to get them to go along with this platform.
I would say don't wait for the matches to come near you. Make it happen! If you don't have the metal targets there is a source for paper targets that cost as little as 10 cents. I will provide the link if asked.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

As I mentioned before I was out of town for a week and did not make any posting regarding this new discipline.
I did contact Ashley, the WC shooting program director and she sent me a contract I have to fill and sign.

I also emailed Adam Braverman and he put me in touch with Ryan Neal, Capstone marketing mgr. in charge of sponsorship of matches and events and filled an application form asking the Capstone group for whatever they could donate for our match. I will be contacting other companies for donations as well.

By the way if anybody shares my passion for the rifle silhouette shooting sports and wants to help me so I don't have to do it by myself. I welcome all the help I can get.

I am operating under the premise that IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME. So as far as I am concerned there will be an introductory match at the WC in Raton, NM on July 3 of 2023.
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

lone ringer wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:40 am
chickenhater wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:48 pm I must say, I like this concept, sounds like pure fun. I would definitely shoot these matches if they come near me. Durham county wildlife has been shooting 1/2 scale with scopes, called the plinking class, for several years. It shouldn't be much trouble to get them to go along with this platform.
I would say don't wait for the matches to come near you. Make it happen! If you don't have the metal targets there is a source for paper targets that cost as little as 10 cents. I will provide the link if asked.
I would appreciate that link to the paper targets.
Thank you!
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

H.Plummer wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:04 am
lone ringer wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:40 am
I would appreciate that link to the paper targets.
Thank you!
www.outdoorproductsplus.com
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Thank you sir! Unfortunately, every one of their 1/2 scale targets is marked "sold out".
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

H.Plummer wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:38 am Thank you sir! Unfortunately, every one of their 1/2 scale targets is marked "sold out".
H.Plummer, or anyone else, if you send me your information as to how many you would like, I can make some targets for you.

Being a printer, this is easy to make, the hard part for me is the packaging and mailing.

Thanks, Dennis O.
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

I’m looking forward to this new game.When your a master and have grand slam for 22 Leveraction there is nothing to gain shooting a monthly match.
So if any club will allow it that’s what I’ll try there.I have a cz open sight gathering dust to use.
Also I’ve thought about using the 22BPCR rifle also.I know it’s got the bull barrel but the challenge is it’s single loading and still 2 minutes for 5 shots,and standing offhand.
Great idea.