SPORTING .22 RF OPEN SIGHTS RIFLE SILHOUETTE

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: SPORTING .22 RF OPEN SIGHTS RIFLE SILHOUETTE

Post by lone ringer »

Jim Luke and I are planning on hosting the Western Open Sights Smallbore Hunting Silhouette Championship next year, just before the Western Lever Gun Championship.
Notice the change to the match name. It was necessary so that it would be under the responsibility of Jim's Western Lever Gun Championship for insurance purposes.
The match is going to be a two day 120 round (2X60) championship. We will reset our own targets to keep the cost of the match low. We are planning on having a dinner at the WC cafeteria on the second day to give away trophies and door prices we are able to get from vendors. Jim Luke is going to ask a couple of fire arms makers to donate a rifle for our match.
If any of you have connections and would like to help us get merchandise to be given away at this match, it would help us tremendously.
I can't give a precise date for the match, although the Western Lever Gun Championship has been held the first week in July the last three years.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

This is fantastic news. Barring any unfortunate circumstances we will be there and I am betting it will be bigger next year by far... If you are planning to attend the Western Nationals, you are doing YOURSELF a disservice by not shooting this as well. It's great fun!
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Here are the tentative dates for the Western Sporting Rifle Championship in 2024 at the Whittington Center.

June 29 & 30 with set up and practice on the 28th.

This match was such a success this year we are expanding it to two days next year. It is the most fun of any match I've ever shot. Come try it. You will like it, too.

This match will be followed by the Western Lever Gun Championship on July 2-6.

Remember, all these dates are TENTATIVE at this time. We will know for sure when the contracts are let in October.

Jim Luke
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Nothing to do with an "equipment race", but is anybody using, or contemplating getting, a CZ457 Jaguar?
Why, you might ask.
Well, it's got a 28 inch barrel, and more sight radius has got to be better, right?
Just askin'.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

No1_49er wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:33 pm Nothing to do with an "equipment race", but is anybody using, or contemplating getting, a CZ457 Jaguar?
Why, you might ask.
Well, it's got a 28 inch barrel, and more sight radius has got to be better, right?
Just askin'.
CZ sold a bunch just because of this match... I prefer my 452 Ultra Lux that I have had forever and that is apparently one of the favored rifle in Mexico for this game... It's probably the perfect gun other than you get good sights with very arbitrary adjustments which may or may not perfectly line up with your normal sight picture/aiming point.

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Hosspower
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hosspower »

I bought a 457 Lux. The front sight on the lux and jaguar are adjustable for elevation so you can kind of dial in to your ammo speed to match up to the rear sight markings. I ran the tangent sight all the way up and was able to hit 200 meter rams with eley force and a 6 o'clock hold.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

No1_49er wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:33 pm Nothing to do with an "equipment race", but is anybody using, or contemplating getting, a CZ457 Jaguar?
Why, you might ask.
Just askin'.
Not worried about becoming an equipment race.
A lot of my Mexican friends use the 457 including the Jaguar and also the 452, 453, 455 Lux, De lux and Ultra lux models all with longer than normal barrels.
At our match Jerry Boydston won the master class using a Browning semiautomatic rifle with a 52X60.
It's not the rifle it's the shooter that makes the difference.