Taper

This is what we do.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Taper

Post by cedestech »

375Short wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:05 pm Looks very tapered to me. Many rifles with tapered barrels start with a cylindrical section, I’m no engineer but seems like a reasonable way to add more support to the chamber area, maybe some options if you want to cut the barrel back and choose a new chambering on down the road. It’s definitely tapered from the Breech end to the muzzle and looks like a barrel commonly recognized as a tapered barrel.
(It was supposed to be a joke. Sorry.)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Should be the perfect choice for the open sight match before next years levergun National. I have the factory barrel version with factory sights siting by the Back door. Many of the local skunk population and one coyote have briefly realized tapered barrels should have been avoided.
mshelton
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mshelton »

I guess I have to ask. What about a sight band that's part of the barrel, I have a few old sporter 22s like this where the barrel does taper from chamber to muzzle but the last inch or two of the barrel is flared out larger for sight mounting. Are these type barrels out of spec for hunter class?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

mshelton wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:32 am I guess I have to ask. What about a sight band that's part of the barrel, I have a few old sporter 22s like this where the barrel does taper from chamber to muzzle but the last inch or two of the barrel is flared out larger for sight mounting. Are these type barrels out of spec for hunter class?
There is NO reasonable match director that I know about who are going to turn you away from a club match for having a rifle that is out of spec.

ESPECIALLY if you are just starting out. Go shoot. If you like shooting silhouette, you will acquire the normal, proper equipment.

State match/Regional match... depends.... same thing though, worse case, you'll shoot and your score will not be eligible for awards BUT you'll have fun.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

There are a number members that are match directors with the field experience to more accurately answer the question and a picture of the barrel(s) in question may help them. My layman’s thought is, if you have a tapered barrel and the manufacturer used there artistic flare to make a slightly flared area at the muzzle for a sight, like on a number of Rugers , probably no big deal. If on the other hand we are talking the larger flare that’s on some models of Anschutz target rifle barrels I would say that’s a NO go for Hunter class. That design is more likely meant to provide a muzzle heavy weight balance effect and to my knowledge is more common on target rifle barrels than sporter / hunting rifles. That is my opinion and may not actually reflect the interpretation or application of the rule and thus not really much value. What would be of great value is a cleaning up of the verbiage contained in the rule that has led to page three of this topic and I’m sure posts in the past. In the mean time we keep shooting and having fun.

To any new shooters interested in shooting silhouette bring what you got to your local matches and start enjoying this challenging, family friendly sport. If the rifle isn’t legal enough to pass muster at a championship match your new shooting friends will share their knowledge to help you in the right direction. Don’t get stressed over the equipment rules and talk yourself out of participation. Please Don’t be put off by what are discussions of one rule or another on this forum, in writing they can sound like petty arguments, in live human face to face time you would likely see they where a discussion or debate among friends that will help you in a hart beat with a broken rifle, ammo shortage or even problems with a vehicle or camper. These conversations often lead to little things that creat positive change and keep our sport current. Great sport, great people.