NRA Lever Gun Nationals Disappointing

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
DesertShooter
B Poster
B Poster

NRA Lever Gun Nationals Disappointing

Post by DesertShooter »

The NRA Lever Gun Nationals was very disappointing from the moment we checked in. The "packet" contained score cards, a hat pin (mine actually was a NRA Regional pin), ECI with your name on it. We were given a tee-shirt (mine was a left over from 2019) and a cap. For $212 we got no name tags, no banquet, no door prizes, just four days of shooting. The medals for second (silver) and third (bronze) were not even on site to be handed out, hence no photo op when receiving your award. Second and third place names were called out followed by "it's in the mail", at least is was that way during the rifle cartridge match. There was a tie for third in the .22 match that was over-looked, not seen, missed or whatever term you want to use, but the shooters were not given the chance for a shoot off, because the targets were already put away (the turkey count was used for tie breaker). Really!!! This was a NATIONAL match, GET IT, A NATIONAL MATCH. Truly a black-eye for the NRA!!!!!!!!!!
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: NRA Lever Gun Nationals Disappointing

Post by richard »

Sorry to see your post and hear of your experience. I find that the older we get the more disappointment we encounter. Things just aren't like they used to be. It is a shame.
Rick B.
Richard
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

When the 2023 Nation Match is at Ridgeway it will be a very different story.
The folks there are passionate about this game and will make sure that you are treated as a welcome guest.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

DAVIDMAGNUM wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:06 am When the 2023 Nation Match is at Ridgeway it will be a very different story.
The folks there are passionate about this game and will make sure that you are treated as a welcome guest.
Odd… I don’t remember seeing anybody not being treated as a “welcome guest”….

Must have missed something.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I’d like to make something clear about the 2022 Lever Gun Nationals that were held at Raton this year. It shouldn’t have to be said but I’m going to say it because apparently people can’t or don’t want to look any farther then what they see in front of them.

The problems came from much higher up in the food chain then the people who were present running the match.

The people who showed up and made the match go did everything in their power to make the match work with the resources they were given. That included some impromptu awards that were fashioned to honor the top shooters spotter and the people who came in at the bottom of the standings….

If you want to cast shade, you need to aim a bit higher…

I shot both matches, Luke did a fantastic job, he also had way more resources and support and the liberty to use them.

Ridgeway will do a fantastic job in ‘23. They have much deeper pocket of local support and passion to supplement the show.

This is all IMHO and YMMV. I do know what I know and will not fault ANYONE who steps up to run a match, club to National. Every one wants to eat, almost no one wants to cook and no one wants to do the dishes…

My name is at the bottom of this post. If you have a problem with what I typed I am real easy to get ahold of.

:ymhug:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Emmett I wish we had a "Like" button....
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
IHMSA53393
B Poster
B Poster

Post by IHMSA53393 »

Anyone have a pic of the scores or know what the attendance was?
judylee
B Poster
B Poster

Post by judylee »

WOW Desert Shooter .... I'm sorry that you were so disappointed in the Nationals this year. I wish you had voiced your disappointment at the time. We worked really hard to give everyone a great match and you can tell by my shooting that it suffered because I thought more of the competitors than I did of myself.

I hope you have a better, less disappointing time at the next Nationals.

-- Judy Lee (Deputy Match Director)
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by stsbuyer »

This post and comments I heard in Raton are why I will never waste my time to drive 850 miles each way and take a full week of my vacation to call a match.
I could not agree with Emmett more, I will no longer cook or wash dishes for this group any longer. I know this does not apply to everyone that attended but after 45 years of silhouette and most of that helping or running a match enough is enough.
Like Emmett I am not hard to get in touch with.

Paul Freeman
Paul Freeman
Alvin, Tx
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

********EDITED WITH A COOLER HEAD********

I was a little sharp-tongued with my earlier reply, and for that I apologize.

While I agree with the majority of the original post, just wish it had not been posted on a public forum. I don't expect anyone to kiss my ass, but I also don't expect them to kick it, and that is what reading that post felt like.

it is extremely difficult to try to put on a good match with so little support from the NRA, so I share in the disappointment felt by the shooters. I do not know the answer, but do know I am tired of trying.

********END OF EDIT********

Your memory of the shootoff situation is different than mine. It was third place AA. The shooters were given a sincere apology and explanation and given the choice of shooting off, reverse animal, or flip a coin. The shooters made the choice, not me and not the NRA. Sorry it was such a disappointing experience.

My understanding of your complaint is that you didn't get "stuff," such as door prizes and your free T-shirt is from '19. We had nothing donated this year to give away. So I surmise YOU didn't donate anything. Did it ocvur to you to do so? I doubt it. You just chose to complain on a public forum, after glad-handing me and others who worked our butts off so YOU would have a match to shoot. Nice.

You are but one example of the reason I will never put on another match, either at the club, regional, or national level. I have ran matches for 14 years and enjoy doing it. But it is simply exhausting to plan and execute matches only to find out it was so disappointing that you didn't get any swag or a dinner.

Please know that those of us who were working SO HARD so YOU could have a match to shoot paid THE SAME MATCH FEE as you, and our scores suffered because of it.

I sincerely apologize to Judy Lee, Tim Lee, Paul Freeman, Steve Henry, Stan Henry, Lana Medlin, Glenn Ring, and Sebastian Wright for subjecting you to these complaints. Believe me, I will never ask you to do it again.

Perhaps Mr. Baker will step up and put on the next national match in Raton. Lol. Nah. It's far easier to bitch and second guess.

PS, your medallion and chicken pin, that I will take from the pins I have personally won, will be in the mail this week. They are being mailed on my dime and my time. I hope this alleviates some of your disappointment.
Last edited by lijeboy on Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by krgriggs »

The Ring and Lee team did a great job! I attended the bpcr silhouette nationals and was really impressed by the running of the match! Alot of awards given out and looked very nice!
jbs4570
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbs4570 »

I guess I'm not very smart. I paid and entered the matches to shoot. And shoot a lot. And hopefully do well.

If anybody ever enters any match any where to get pins and door prizes has entered for the wrong reasons.

Windage and Elevation,
Joe
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Thanks, Joe. Always good to see you and Carol.

Tappan Hill in September?

Looking forward to that match!
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by CoolArrowMarksman »

It's sad that complainers are pushing burnt out match directors out of the game when it takes so much planning.
I'm just getting in to the game and was looking forward to Western Nationals next year since I'm in Texas and it would be easier to just drive up to the Whittington Center than it would be to fly to Ridgeway multiple times a year/
hondayamaha
B Poster
B Poster

Post by hondayamaha »

Jeanne I'm so sorry that 1 or 2 people muddy up the water for those who appriciate all the hard work you all have done. Will really miss you in ok city now i understand why. Thanks for the good times and effort you allowed me and us to have it hasn't gone unnoticed .Rich R. Ark.