Bullets

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Bullets

Post by sdwooster »

I have question. I am out of bullets that are legal for shooting in my 30-30. I have had a drop shipment on order for a year and a half, with no luck. They only bullets I have found is the Hornady bullets designed for the 30-30. I don't understand why these bullets aren't legal to shoot in our game. So I guess I quit shooting my 30-30? I hope Aaron Farmer sees this post. In order to keep people shooting we need this rule changed.
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Bullets

Post by krgriggs »

Graf & Sons have 30-30 bullets that are legal in stock
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

As you didn't specify what Hornady bullets for for the 30WCF are illegal for LAR Silhouette I will make an educated guess.

The first reason for the bullets to not be allowed would be target damage. A bullet that will not deform enough transfers its energy to a much smaller area on the target.
The second reason would be ricochet . A bullet that does not deform, mushroom or disintegrate will continue to travel a dangerous distance after deflecting off of the target.

That is my guess. If these are the reasons then the rule will not change.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

The main reason for the flat or round bullet rule is to avoid setting off a primer in the rounds loaded in a tubular magazine. If only one cartridge was initially loaded into the magazine then there's no such danger.

There's extensive research with shooting steel targets but I won't go into the details here. I'll just say armored piercing and steel bullets are most likely to ricochet and cause target damage.
-Charlie Meli
Match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Might be time to try a gas checked cast bullet. You can get as many of those as you want.
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

Never used them. What powder charge do you use? And what bullet?
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

There have been quite a few places that have the hornady interlock round nose 150gr in stock lately. It's been off and on, but you can find those.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

The Sierra 125gr FNHP is harder to buy than primers
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Last edited by Doodaddy on Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

I will check my notes and get bock to you for powder info. Most 30-30's will shoot a .309 dia bullet fairly well. if you have an odd size bore, or are shooting an import, you may want to slug your barrel before ordering any bullets, but as i said, a .309 usually works pretty well. There are a lot of cast bullet outlets, but I tend to stick with Montana Bullet Works. They make a great bullet and are friendly folks to deal with.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Zander shot a 35 Wednesday using a home brewed gas checked cast bullet. Use the same powder you’d use for your jacketed bullets but keep the velocity at or below 2000 fps. Lyman book has loads for cast bullets.
- Joe
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

If the original post is speaking of the rubbery flex tip Hornady bullet (or any other brand that comes along) specifically designed to safely sit nose to primer in a lever action magazine then why should it not be okay? I would only guess the designation of round nose or flat tip in the rules is to meet common since and safe loading practice in magazines that place bullets nose to primer. The rubbery tip is designed to meet the same safe standard. It’s a bullet designed to hunt at 30-30 velocity, I can’t imagine it doing anymore damage to a target at 30-30 velocity than any other bullet, if that proves not to be the case we all except not using bullets that cause target damage.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Oh dear. Rules.
3.1.3 (c) "All bullets must be round or flat nosed suitable for tubular magazine use".
Until and unless that specific wording is changed to permit the new "jelly tip" projectile, we are stuck with those words. Never mind that Hornady came along with a new-fangled thingy which precludes the possibility of a magazine detonation.
Go to the Nationals, engage with your fellows at the shooters meeting and seek a rule change. If you don't ask, you don't get.
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

Planning on having someone do that. I won't be there, due to the NRA changing the match. I made plans last for the Western Nationals and Ridgeway in August this year. I won't go into my opinions competitor meetings, been going to them since 2000.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

There's nothing in the rules that would particularly ban coated bullets. Cheycast.com has 165 gr fp coated bullets in .309 diameter for something like 55 per 500. or just to try them to see if you your rifle will get along with them 12& for a 2 lb sample pack