Leupold scope broken?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
paulnevers
Unclassified Poster

Leupold scope broken?

Post by paulnevers »

Hi all, I ran into a problem with a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x EFR. Originally the scope was on a benchrest type .243 rifle I acquired, shot it out to 600 yards worked great. Ended up switching the scope on that rifle so figured I would put the Leupold on my smallbore silhouette rifle. While sighting it in I couldn't get the elevation high enough for rams. Turkeys sighted in at 8.75moa (4 revolutions) at around 12.5 it is 2 inches low for rams. After 12.5 and up with 7moa more of turret travel the impact never changes, still 2 inches low.

Guessing there is an issue since I am not getting an impact change with the last 7-8moa of adjustment. Bad spring?

Thought I would ask if anyone has experienced this or knew any tricks to free the movement up so I can at least test the scope out at a match or two. Hold high I guess :lol: then send it in for repair...

-Paul
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Leupold scope broken?

Post by xpilot »

Shim up the rear ring. easy peasy. Scope is probably fine.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Is your scope centered left/ right? The more to the extremes you are on either direction, the less adjustment range you have in the perpendicular direction. Otherwise get a warranty work order
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Shim bottom of rear ring.
Cut a small section of plastic milk jug or soda can.
It is a common thing.
paulnevers
Unclassified Poster

Post by paulnevers »

The part that had me weirded out was that my Weaver with the same rings is able to get on rams. I checked and it too is at the top of its elevation adjustment but it makes it with some to spare so I expected the Leupold to work without issues. Either way shimming seems like a quick and easy way to get on target. Thanks for the suggestions!

thauglor wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:05 am Is your scope centered left/ right? The more to the extremes you are on either direction, the less adjustment range you have in the perpendicular direction. Otherwise get a warranty work order
Good thinking, checked and windage is closely centered.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I have the same problem with my Anschutz 1712. I am using a DIP 20 MOA scope rail to be able to reach out to Rams. BTW: I am using SK STD. Plus if you are interested.
paulnevers
Unclassified Poster

Post by paulnevers »

DavidABQ wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:21 pm I have the same problem with my Anschutz 1712. I am using a DIP 20 MOA scope rail to be able to reach out to Rams. BTW: I am using SK STD. Plus if you are interested.
Good to hear its not just me, guess I am just one of the lucky ones. I vaguely remember reading somewhere about shimming the scope but as a "good idea" to keep the adjustments centered not because it was needed to get on target or at least that's what it took from it. Will get it shimmed and see what shooting with a dot larger then 1/8 on animals is like. Thanks.

If I ever get around to it I might test a tall target to see what amount of elevation adjustment I really do get for fun. Be interesting to see exactly what I am working with.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

IMO definitely Something wrong with the scope. I've had several on various rifles and 100 yards is no problem with adjustment room to spare.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Merlin wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:29 am IMO definitely Something wrong with the scope. I've had several on various rifles and 100 yards is no problem with adjustment room to spare.
Your statement is true providing that the scope attachment point, top of the receiver with the dovetails and the centerline of the bore. If they are not parallel with each other, as I suspect in my case, then you can easily run out of elevation.

BTW: I have had a few different Leupold scopes on my rifle because, like you , I thought that I had a scope issue.
Last edited by DavidABQ on Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The shimming is not just some kind of hack.
Years ago factory printed scope instructions included information on when to shim and how to shim.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

In all the rings I have sold there have been a few occasions where a particular rifle wouldn't zero at 100 yds or 100 m. This has been on a few cz's. Other cz's do zero at these distances. I agree with DavidABQ. Sometimes the tolerances of things just add up in an unfavorable way and this happens. We assume the bores of barrels are perfectly straight and concentric with everything else on a rifle but I think this is never so and in some cases rifles just naturally shoot a little low with respect to the scope mounting. Shimming is a good solution, also bedding the rings with a little shim in there to get it right is a nice way to go.
BlackestBart
B Poster
B Poster

Post by BlackestBart »

The Leupold variables have fewer minutes of elevation adjustment than straight power scopes. When installed, your working range for your purposes should place your zeroing range just above the 2 on the vertical post and on the windage too. This assures that the scope springs are in the middle of their working range and will track to the best of their ability. Shimming under the back base allows the elevation to be brought into line but the windage can be taken care of by various manufacturers of rings. I have used three versions of rings for these purposes. The Redfield and Weaver Sure-Grip Windage Adjustable take care of windage only. The Burris Signature Zee Rings set allows changing inserts that are of various thicknesses to adjust for both windage and elevation for up to 20 minutes at 100 yards. There is a good Youtube video from Burris that describes how they work. The use of one of these products can assure you that you are working in the middle range of your scopes available adjustments.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

The burris rings do have this unique ability that lots of people like. To me they’re squooshy ( imprecise plastic molded inserts that squoosh into the rings) chicom junk. I’d shim or better yet bed my rings first.