AA Poster

6.5 Creedmoor

Post by dwl »

Whaddya think?
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Looks like a slightly different version of the 6.5X47. Major difference is in case capacity, and primer size and flash hole??....Always room for 'nother good cartridge. Be interesting to see how it performs when it gets into the hands of reloaders

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Just what I don't need another decision to make :-) Glad I went with the 6.5x47.
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Seems to have been an explosion of new 6.5 rounds lately, not surprising at all due to the good downrange performance of the 6.5 VLD bullets. The major differences in all seem to be long action vs short action (where applicable) and case capacity and operating pressure Lapua gained ground by going to a smaller primer and smaller flash hole to get more brass in the head area to allow higher pressures thus allowing the bullet to be driven faster safely, perhaps at the expense of barrel life....only time and experience will tell. I enjoy the fact that dedicated folks continue to develop new rounds for us to play with.....Makes for interesting reading anyway.

IMHO, among all the popular high power silhouette rounds in 6.5 (6.5X55, 260, 6.5X47 etc feel free to add your favorite in here) there isn't a stinker in the bunch. It's just real hard to go wrong with most any of the current offerings.

Kitty
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Looks like choosing which has the cheapest high quality brass available and good load info published. Of course, either of those can be gotten around. :)
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

either of those can be gotten around.
In the case of working around the expensive brass (assume you mean forming the brass from another round) always a good idea to compare actual specs the mfg has for the brass you're trying to make...Take into account case capacity, small vs large primer and flash hole size. In the case of the 6.5X47 Lapua I suspect that the smaller primer pocket and small flash hole contribute significantly to the ability of the case to handle the pressures it's currently being loaded to.

And even expensive brass (Lapua) is reasonably priced when you consider the actual cost per loading. Divide the # of expected loadings of a piece of brass into its cost and you have only a few cents difference between the most expensive and the cheapest brass.....And given that you often will get more loadings in a piece of "expensive" brass vs a piece of "cheap" brass the actual cost involved is often lower than you think....At least that's the logic I use with my wife when I explain why those empty bullets cost so much.........

Kitty
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Well I was mostly talking about the loading data more than the brass, as most of my silhouette loads come from other silhouette shootsers and usually I don't mess with brass more than something like squeezing 308 to 7-08 or something. Even after thinning my gun herd a lot to make the brass easier to remember which gun it goes to, lately I've started just buying good brand brass in the caliber I want so I never have to look at a piece of brass and wonder if the headstamp is still correct. I think as I get older I try to pinch fewer pennies every chance I can and just go for what's less trouble. :)
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

I just thought is was fascinating that we had yet another 6.5 of moderate capacity. In deciding which cartridge to commit to I read as much as I could. It that the 260 Remington is a bit more than necessary since everyone down loads it and the Benchrest cartridges were just on the marginal side. My own cartridge choice appears to cause narcolepsy (it couldn
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

I'm being lazy and asking instead of looking it up. Will it fit in a short action 700 rem? Looks capable of high enough velocities to work well with 140 class bullets for Rams and a U Pick em of 107's and up for C,P,T's. I load my 6.5X47 to less than max and it works very well....Have found the 6.5X47 Lapua to be the least picky of powder charge/bullet weight combinations of nearly anything I have loaded for. Wonder how the 6.5 Creedmore will run on the high and low end of the velocity range.....

Kitty
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

This is a great topic and I would like to spin this thread a little further. I was looking at some of the 6.5 offerings. These round seem very similar and I was wondering if someone could comment on the differences.

6.5 x 47
6.5 BR
6.5 gendel

and any others that someone can chime in with. All the sizes listed above visually seem to be the same.
tim
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

See, it's true! Mention the 6.5-250 and everyone falls asleep! Maybe if I write 260 Bobcat?

Tim, the Grendel is based on a PPC .440 case head. The BR is shorter than the 6.5X47 which is shorter than the 260 Rem, all of which are based on the .470 case head.

My calipers tell me that 6.5 Creedmoor appears to be similar to the 6.5-250 aka 260 Bobcat except in the shoulder diameter. I don't have the 300 Savage dimensions at my fingertips but it might be close. This would make the Creedmoor very close to the 6.5 IHMSA. Lone Ringer would have information on other 6.5s (Dasher, TNT?).

My question is what is Hornady using for powder? Can it really take 10 more grains than my 6.5-250 which is maxed out at 32 grains for the 142 MK?
Hoser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hoser »

dwl wrote:My question is what is Hornady using for powder?
H4350.

McMillan sent out a new 6.5 Creedmoore barrel for my Tubb2000. I installed it and gave/lent my T2K to a local gunwriter. He should be shooting some long range with it this week.

I will report back with what he finds.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Dave, one of the most popular with silhouette shooters is the 6.5 TKS basically a 6.5 mm BR Improved cartridge designed by Dan Theodore another popular cartridge at least with a small group of shooters in my area is the 6.5 Viking another 6.5 BR improved.

Agustin Sanchez tied his own National record of 39X40 with a 6.5 Viking in 2005 at the HP Nationals. All those 6.5mm wildcat cartridges based on the 6mm BR Lapua brass are a little bit short in case capacity for the ram loads and unless you bush the bolt if you are using a Rem 700 action you will be limited to the amount of powder you can safely use. Because of that fact I say that the 6.5X47, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5 IHMSA, 6.5-250 Savage, etc would be safer cartridges in the long run specially if used with Lapua brass.

I like extreme powders for obvious reasons and would use H4198, Benchmark, Varget and H4350 for any of those cartridges. And if limited to two of the powders I would use Benchmark or Varget for everything to turkeys and maybe H4350 for rams. My favorite being Varget which I use for my 260, 6.5 Viking, 7mm BR and 30-30 Winchester
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Tim
I have to agree with Loneringer the 6.5 is an excellent round for High Power, but the smaller cases based on the BR are terminal on the rams.
I am presently using Vargett 36.00 gr. on both my 6.5x55 and 6.5x47 with the 107 gr. and Reloader 22 at the rams, 45.5gr. in the 55 and 39.0gr. in the 47 with 142gr. bullets. The reloader 22 seems to be almost like 4350, they look practically the same.
If you shoot the new 6.5x47 Lapua no matter what kind of pressure you are running, you will always have signs of primer cratering. I am assuming that is due to the small primers, rather than large, I always heard that the small primers are thinner than the large ones. A couple of friends had their Remington bolts firing pin bushed, and the cratering went away. I am planning on doing the same to mine.
Evelio.
Evelio
Hoser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hoser »

I got my Tubb200 back last week and I took it out yesterday for a few hours. I shot it at 400, 600, 900 and 1,000 yards with factory ammo off sandbags and prone with a sling. The scope was a Nightforce 12-42. The barrel appears to be an 8 twist. Not sure if its a McMillan or a Schneider. The target was a steel LaRue resetting target set very heavy to simulate a Ram.

The factory 140gn ammo easily knocked the target over at all distances. More important than that, .75-1.0 MOA accuracy was held past 600 yards. At 400 yards prone, I put 5 rounds in just over 2 inches. However it was dead calm out.

Bolt lift was easy and the cases showed no signs of pressure.

Now that I have some brass to play with, I am going to try reloading and tweaking for a bit better accuracy. I have lots of Sierra 107s, 120s and 142s and an 8 pounder or two of H4350.

I am guessing the 6.5 Creedmoor will be much easier on barrels than a 6.5-284 or 260 Ackley. After dinner tonight I am going to mic the brass for quality. I never would have put Hornady brass up there with Norma or Lapua brass, but I might have to.

Here is an older pic when it was a 6XC with a Nightforce 8-32.