Silhouette Stock Questions: Will wooster stock made for Anschutz 1710 fit on a 1712?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Silhouette Stock Questions: Will wooster stock made for Anschutz 1710 fit on a 1712?

Post by CoolArrowMarksman »

I’m looking at buying a used Wooster Hunter class silhouette stock, but I am weighing my options of getting a used 1712 in the original factory wood stock to get started.

What sort of questions should I be asking about the stock fit?

What custom measurements should I be concerned about when looking at If I get my own custom stock made?

Specific to the used stock purchase:

I'm pondering a purchase of a Pharr/Wooster hybrid stock that was a made for a 1710.

Is the receiver and everything the same that I could put it on a 1712?
Last edited by CoolArrowMarksman on Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Silhouette Stock Questions: Will wooster stock made for Anschutz 1710 fit on a 1712?

Post by Merlin »

Yes it will fit. Questions... Length of Pull and what barrel channel. Taller guys need a longer LoP ... If it was set up for a 1710 the barrel channel may be a little wider and the gap between the insides of the barrel channel and barrel may be a bit more with the slightly smaller barrel of the 1712. If you are working with a gunsmith they can usually make about anything look good and work for you.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Silhouette Stock Questions: Will wooster stock made for Anschutz 1710 fit on a 1712?

Merlin wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:45 am Yes it will fit. Questions... Length of Pull and what barrel channel. Taller guys need a longer LoP ... If it was set up for a 1710 the barrel channel may be a little wider and the gap between the insides of the barrel channel and barrel may be a bit more with the slightly smaller barrel of the 1712. If you are working with a gunsmith they can usually make about anything look good and work for you.
Thank you!
I'm about average height I think 5'10 - short legs, long torso haha. I guess I just need to find out how close the seller is to my measurements since it was custom made for him.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Do you already have the 1712 or 1710? The stock won't hold you back, especially if you are new to the sport. If you can, I would buy a Wooster stocked complete gun as a first choice, a factory stocked 1712 second.

Didn't someone recently win a smallbore nationals with a factory stocked gun?
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

thauglor wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:51 pm Do you already have the 1712 or 1710? The stock won't hold you back, especially if you are new to the sport. If you can, I would buy a Wooster stocked complete gun as a first choice, a factory stocked 1712 second.

Didn't someone recently win a smallbore nationals with a factory stocked gun?
No, I have a solid 10/22 in a 13 3/4 LOP Boyd's stock.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

thauglor wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:51 pm Didn't someone recently win a smallbore nationals with a factory stocked gun?
Yes, last year Luke Johnson won the Standard rifle championship with his factory wood-stocked Anschutz 1710 DKL (with iron sights).

To the original questions: Length of Pull (LOP) is a big one. Length of grip to trigger blade is another factor. The weight distribution can be a thing to consider as some like a front-heavy balance and some do not.

In the end the only question is "do you like the fit of the rifle", but you won't really know the answer until you get to hold it and shoot it for a bit.

Good luck!
Allen Corneau
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

acorneau wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:14 pm
Yes, last year Luke Johnson won the Standard rifle championship with his factory wood-stocked Anschutz 1710 DKL (with iron sights).
Thanks Allen, I remember reading about that last year. That proves it is the indian and not the arrow
CoolArrowMarksman wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:00 pm
No, I have a solid 10/22 in a 13 3/4 LOP Boyd's stock.
A rifle or two pop up on these forums almost every month it looks like. You can have even more luck at your local matches if you ask around. Good luck and welcome to the game, it is all I shoot now except for the occasional prone match just to justify having the other rifles around
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Wonder what it would take to whack a little off the back of a Wooster stock? Doesn’t Steve post here some? Wonder if it can be done.
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

Been busy and haven't looked here l Iately. I use a band saw to cut my stocks off. Or just use a hack saw. Just mark a line all the way around and try to follow it. Then I use 5 minute epoxy and glue pad on.