Target Color

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Target Color

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I thought I would throw out a question about what color targets you prefer to shoot at in both SB & HP. Here in CO. we shoot at white targets at the four SB ranges in the Denver area. At CRC we shoot white SB and both white and black HP targets. At the range in Grand Junction black is the color of SB & HP. Most of our HP shooters claim they can see their hits better on white. Personally, I prefer flat black for both, but only get my way a couple of times a year for HP. They can be seen easily in most any light conditions, and contrast well with our light colored soil berms. As a spotter I have no trouble seeing a silver splash on black. The scope dot is still quite visible against black and this is the color used for HP at Raton. So, what color targets do you shoot at , what do you prefer and why?
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Here in the south I prefer white due to fact of green grass and many of the ranges have trees hanging over the target banks. Shot in Zwolle LA. last month, and they had black targets on some banks was difficult to see the black dot in the scope. The great thing about this sport is every one gets the same conditions no matter what they are.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

In Central Florida and now in Chattanooga, we are using fluorescent orange (Krylon). It is visible in most any conditions and works really well if you put a white undercoat on before spraying the orange.
Gator
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

We only shoot white targets at my local range, and they can very hard to see against the light-colored dirt of the berm on dry days, especially for cowboy matches using sights. I've painted a few black just to test visibility and they stand out against the berm well but scope dots and sights were much harder to see against the black targets. I haven't tried another color like fluorescent orange yet, but I intend to do that sometime soon. Until I can find something that will work for both wet and dry days, I'm not going to submit the idea to the silhouette committee for approval.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

HOT PINK!!!!! :shock:
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

SHakes, if you can get the guys at Tacoma to paint the targets hot pink for a match, I'll definitely show up to it. :)
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

HEY THERE EASY TO SEE, PROVIDE EXCELLENT CONTRAST FOR YOUR DOT, AND THE GIRLS LOVE EM :lol:
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Let's see if Shawn will let us paint the targets hot pink on the next informal shoot day then. Could be fun to have them in various fluorescent colors like pink, orange, green, etc. :)
Pete
A Poster
A Poster

Target Color

Post by Pete »

Some years ago we shot fluorescent orange targets at our club in SW Washington until a club board member got mad stating that he taught hunter ed. and that shooting at something orange violated some safety rule. Go figure. Pete
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

White works really for me, but hey, so long as I get to shoot and everyone shoots the same target, it's a good day!
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

+1 to that!

One range I shoot SB at here in the valley has the animals black, the othr has white.
Both have black for HP.

Being desert brown everywhere, both show nicely against there background.
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

We shoot our all white at the local ranges here, except for SB Cowboy where we started using fluorescent orange on the chickens. With the light colored back ground the white ones were almost impossible to see.

That said, it brings up another question. At one of the SB Cowboy matches everyone was shooting at the fluorescent orange chicken targets, but one individual liked white so the range officer let him shoot at white ones. I thought this was against the rules as everyone else was shooting at one color and on equal ground as we would say. It just so happened that the shooter also got 10 in a row that round.

So it begs two questions:
1) Can the range office allow a shooter to change the color of the targets on a specific bank of animals to suit their preference during a match and

2) Do ALL the targets on all banks have to be of the same color or can different banks be colored differently as long as all the shooters are shooting at the same color?
Last edited by Bob259 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I prefer to shoot white (seems bigger and clearer), but at our matches on Staten Island, CPT have dark backgrounds and th Rams have a light background when the sun hits. I've received many complaints about the Rams being too hard to see.

At a recent falling plate match, we tried yellow. It stood out against the light berm, and should be good agains the brown CPT background. I,m going to try it next year. Ideall would be white CPT and black R but they must all be the same color.

Ken
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Target Color

Post by Gator »

Pete wrote:Some years ago we shot fluorescent orange targets at our club in SW Washington until a club board member got mad stating that he taught hunter ed. and that shooting at something orange violated some safety rule. Go figure. Pete
Probably the same guy that spent the weekend shooting IDPA at B-27 (human torso) targets and playing paintball shooting at real people.
Gator
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Bob259 wrote:
So it begs two questions:
1) Can the range office allow a shooter to change the color of the targets on a specific bank of animals to suit their preference during a match and

2) Do ALL the targets on all banks have to be of the same color or can different banks be colored differently as long as all the shooters are shooting at the same color?
#1...This should not be allowed. It would be disruptive to running a smooth match. ..#2... I think that targets can be painted any color (mixed) to suit the visibility needs of a particular range. All would be shooting at the same targets.