Marlin 57 Extractor Differences over the years????

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Marlin 57 Extractor Differences over the years????

Post by Jetmugg »

I recently purchased a Marlin 57, and I'm trying to work out some extraction difficulties. Date code on the barrel indicates the rifle was manufactured in January of 1965.

I'm experiencing some difficulty with failures to extract a fired cartridge. The right-side extractor installed in the bolt when I purchased the rifle looked "OK", but not great, so I purchased a new one.

When I went to install the new one into the bolt, the new extractor looked nothing like the one I removed.

All the pics I've seen on the internet show the Model 57 right side extractor should look like the one I purchased. The one that's installed in the bolt looks much more like a Marlin Model 60 extractor.

The extractor in the upper portion of the photo shows what's currently installed. The photo in the lower portion of the pic shows what I purchased as a Model 57 extractor. The design and hole locations are completely different, and there's no way for the lower one to take the place of the upper one.

Pic of the underside of bolt shows the pin positions.

Pic of the upper side of the bolt confirms the relative positions of the pin holes for extractors.

This really has me scratching my head. Any wisdom from experience Marlin folks would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Marlin 57 Extractor Differences over the years????

Post by No1_49er »

I can't help with your query, and depending on whether or not you get your answer here, you could also consider asking on a couple other forums that are Marlin orientated.
https://marlin-collectors.com and
https://www.marlinowners.com
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

Thank you. I also posted on the Marlin Rifles FaceBook group, asking for any guidance.

I suspect that in the mid-60's, Marlin must have done some mixing and matching of parts.

Steve
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Right side (Ejecting side)
IMG_7661-500x500.jpg
Left side
IMG_7660-500x500.jpg
The purpose of the right is to extract, the left holds the case rim in place

I have never seen that other style.

You can get these from several sources, JackFirstinc.com, is who these pictures are from, they sell and make many parts.

Dennis O.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TheBugFather on Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I’ve had the best luck finding obsolete parts on eBay. I’ve bought M57 firing pins for a buddy there.
- Joe
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

TheBugFather wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:18 pm Right side (Ejecting side)
IMG_7661-500x500.jpg

Left side
IMG_7660-500x500.jpg

The purpose of the right is to extract, the left holds the case rim in place

I have never seen that other style.

You can get these from several sources, JackFirstinc.com, is who these pictures are from, they sell and make many parts.

Dennis O.

Dennis: What you have pictured is exactly what I've seen online, also. However, when disassembling the "new to me" rifle, the right side ejector is the one I've depicted in the original post. The style you show, which is the style I purchased as a right side ejector, absolutely, positively will not fit in the bolt. The pivot locations are completely different, and there is no evidence on the bolt that it's been modified or had a second set of holes drilled to accomodate the different pivot location.

Still scratching my head over this issue. I purchased a Marlin Model 60 right-side extractor from Ebay, but haven't received it yet. The Model 60 extractor looks like the right side extractor in my Model 57, but I won't be able to confirm until it's in my hands.

Steve
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Why not buy the marlin 57 extractor on eBay. There’s a right side listed for $9. Theres also a firing pin for $25.
- Joe
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Steve, I've never seen this.

Who knows, maybe you are right and they just used what they had at the factory.

Let me know when you get the part.

Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

edgehit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:45 pm Why not buy the marlin 57 extractor on eBay. There’s a right side listed for $9. Theres also a firing pin for $25.
Edgehit:

I did purchase a Marlin 57 extractor set from ebay, but the right side extractor wouldn't fit my bolt. The hole in the bolt and the hole in the extractor could not be made to line up. (not even close). The right side extractor to fit a Marlin 57 as seen on Ebay (and every other online source) don't look anything like the right side extractor on the "new to me" rifle.

I've ordered and now received a right side extractor from a Marlin model 60 that "looks" like the one that's in my rifle, but I haven't tried to install it yet. It's hard to know what might have transpired between the time when this rifle was manufactured and today, but I'm left wondering whether Marlin made some design changes late in the production run of model 57's as the company was phasing the levermatic out, and focusing on Model 60 production.

Steve
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

The RH extractor shown at the top of this pic is what's in my rifle now. It works better now, after some careful filing/deburring.

However, I'd sure like to have a replacement, and the normal Model 57 RH extractor shown in the lower position of this pic simply will not fit.