Unconventional reticles

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Unconventional reticles

Post by Grantmac »

I shot a silhouette match on Sunday using my NRL22 optic. This is a FFP with "Christmas tree" reticle. Not something usually used for silhouette. However this particular one has a rather large floating center dot. The lines don't connect with it at all and the gap is about the size of most animals.

I'm only just now getting back to AA scores after 5+ years away and my rifle doesn't struggle to make weight, but I was very surprised at how easily this aimed despite being a "busy" reticle. That floating dot was easier to use then duplex and honestly didn't feel any different than my Sightron SIIB.

Thoughts?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Unconventional reticles

Post by acorneau »

Grantmac wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:46 am Thoughts?
Whatever works for you, do that.

I was just mentioning to Dodaddy at the Shamrock Shoot that I would probably be ok with a standard crosshair without a dot as my eyes/brain pays more attention to the crosshair than the dot anyway, but that's just me.

8-}
Allen Corneau
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

I find with a cross hair that I tend to want to hold on an edge rather than the middle of the target.
Honestly what I really want is a thick circle with nothing in the middle, perhaps around 2-3moa center hole. That's how my freestyle archery equipment is setup. I tend to look at the dot when I use one with a bow but less so with a rifle.

Brains are weird.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

acorneau wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:41 pm
Grantmac wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:46 am Thoughts?
Whatever works for you, do that.

I was just mentioning to Dodaddy at the Shamrock Shoot that I would probably be ok with a standard crosshair without a dot as my eyes/brain pays more attention to the crosshair than the dot anyway, but that's just me.

8-}
I think the less attention the reticle needs, the better for our type shooting. A plain crosshair is about as simple as it gets. Maybe I should try that again, but coming up in the sport I found myself wanting to be too precise with my trigger breaks because I could be with the crosshairs and that was a downhill roll for me personally.

I've got a duplex reticled Bushnell I can trade you for one of your dotted scopes..... Image

Grantmac wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:20 pm I find with a cross hair that I tend to want to hold on an edge rather than the middle of the target.
Honestly what I really want is a thick circle with nothing in the middle, perhaps around 2-3moa center hole. That's how my freestyle archery equipment is setup. I tend to look at the dot when I use one with a bow but less so with a rifle.

Brains are weird.
This is the closest I've seen to a reticle like you're describing. It's not exact and not likely in your desired power range, but it's at least something. Maybe you can sweet talk Hawke into putting it in a scope more to your liking. Or maybe you like a 1-6 idk.

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/reticle-info ... circle-dot
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

That circle dot would be about perfect in a 6-24.

The one I'm playing with is this:
https://images.app.goo.gl/tfosz83EPXKEJPFd6

A cheap scope that I got on sale but it seems to track very well and the reticle kind of brackets the animal with the dot in the middle.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I’d really like to try both reticles, but not to buy them to find out.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Grantmac wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:00 am That circle dot would be about perfect in a 6-24.

The one I'm playing with is this:
https://images.app.goo.gl/tfosz83EPXKEJPFd6

A cheap scope that I got on sale but it seems to track very well and the reticle kind of brackets the animal with the dot in the middle.
This one would bracket the animal in a similar way without the rest of the hashmarks from the christmas tree and is available in a 6-24. That dot is .625MOA

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/reticle-info ... lr-dot-16x

I've never shot a Hawke scope or knowingly even seen one in person so I'm not advocating for them directly, though I do always read good things on them. I happen to flip through a product brochure for a while at the Shamrock shoot so their reticle information is fresh in my memory lol.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Hawke scopes are very well regarded by the air rifle crowd.

In this case I'm trying to do double duty for NRL22 which definitely needs the christmas tree reticle. So far it seems successful.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Grantmac wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:34 pm Hawke scopes are very well regarded by the air rifle crowd.

In this case I'm trying to do double duty for NRL22 which definitely needs the christmas tree reticle. So far it seems successful.
Oh absolutely that reticle is crucial for NRL/PSL. If you can shoot silhouette with it, by all means that's fantastic for you.
gunnut00
Unclassified Poster

Post by gunnut00 »

I've been using a Athlon APRS3 reticle, it has a tiny dot with 0.2 mil of clear space around it. I don't notice the busy christmas tree part while shooting silhouette.