State Silhouette Matches

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

State Silhouette Matches

Post by TheBugFather »

How many of you guys have a State Association sponsored State Silhouette Match in your state?

Any discipline, Highpower, Pistol, Air gun, Lever, smalbore ...etc

Thanks, Dennis Ostler
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: State Silhouette Matches

Post by dustinflint »

Louisiana has highpower, Smallbore, air rifle and lever action.

Dustin
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

All our state wants is money for the match. I had a discussion about it a long time ago. If they wanted to reimburse us for the cost of our state trophies we will comply with them. We have $10000 worth of them. Never heard back. We just have a registered match.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

Define sponsored...In my previous life sponsored meant 1. free stuff/gear or 2. free stuff + bonus or salary. In return, you provided some visibility, were a good steward/representative, and hopefully some wins or podiums.

Our state association has championships for lever action, smallbore, and highpower. Sometimes pistol I think, and I don't know about air rifle.

Based on my 2 definitions above, none of the matches are sponsored.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

jbmarshtx wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:02 am Define sponsored...In my previous life sponsored meant 1. free stuff/gear or 2. free stuff + bonus or salary. In return, you provided some visibility, were a good steward/representative, and hopefully some wins or podiums.

Our state association has championships for lever action, smallbore, and highpower. Sometimes pistol I think, and I don't know about air rifle.

Based on my 2 definitions above, none of the matches are sponsored.
Our California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA) provides one 3 gun aggregate trophy and 3 individual trophy for each of the lever gun matches (Rifle, Pistol and Smallbore) and some times a plaque for High Lady, Senior and Junior.

They currently require you to be a member if you are from California.
If you are not from California you need to pay them $20 for a 3 day membership and you are not allowed to win the State Championship.

NRA does not require you to be a member, but they need the approval of the state association to call it a state match.

Please keep the responses coming!

Dennis
The Bug Father
rogersptl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by rogersptl »

Wyoming State Shooting Association helps with trophies; gives caps to each of the 4 rifle divisions. WSSA also receive $5 from each shooter that does not carry membership in their state association and $5 from each shooter. So yes they get more than they give. At present none of the lever gun silhouette shooters fire a WY Championship.
Close only counts with grenades and horseshoes.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

What Brandon said…. As someone who in a previous life participated in a different sport…. “Sponsored” indicates an quid pro quo agreement…. Most states matches have a “authorized” or “approved” relationship with their rifle association. Like you have with the city that you are supposed to get permit from to work on your own house…

I applaud the Wyoming State Rifle Association and California’s, It’s nice to see some participation…
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

So, I count California, Texas, Wyoming and Arizona as the only States to have state silhouette matches, is that correct?

This presents a question, should the NRA consider no longer requiring the state associations approval to host a state match, in regards to silhouette?

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

dwostler wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:55 pm So, I count California, Texas, Wyoming and Arizona as the only States to have state silhouette matches, is that correct?
That is not correct. Just off the top of my head I can think of the following states that have silhouette state championships of some kind: Louisiana, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan, Washington, Tennessee, Montana, Florida, Colorado, New Hampshire (i think).

I would not use SteelChickens to do any type of survey. Almost no one uses this website anymore. Facebook is a much better place to get responses from a much wider range of silhouette Shooters.

Dustin
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Long ago December 7,2013 PG 24 Clubhouse this topic was discussed.
Nothing has changed much except most likely more regional matches.
Dustin is correct more folks are attuned to Facebook.
I am content here on Steelchickens.The upcoming matches,match results,photos and various silhouette topics
address my needs.
Thank you all for this great sport.
Hermit5
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

I have hosted the NC Smallbore Silhouette Rifle & Smallbore Silhouette Hunting Rifle Championship Tournament for the past several years in Asheville, NC.
The North Carolina Rifle & Pistol Association - controls the look of all "State Champion" Plaques. They charge us full price for the 2 Smallbore Silhouette plaques we award, which turns out to be $127 for the 2 of them last year!
I ask permission to hold the match, then send them the Titles of the State Champs (and dates of the matches), and pay for the plaques - which are very nice looking by the way, just very expensive! Would be nice if I just received a reduction in price for the plaques as my support!!
They do nothing else to "help" - no promotion, no listing of match(es), no attendance to show their "support" or to "officially" give out the awards, etc.

No really complaining, because I read where other states charge other monies for the privilege to, do all the work, to hold the match.

If you don't hear from GA State folks, they have it pretty good - for their Smallbore Silhouette State Championships! They actually get monetary support from GSSA!!! It helps when the President is also the Match Director (or one of the MDs) - Carol Rosenqvist.

ShootingStar - Greg Chandler
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Thank you for the reply

Dennis
The Bug Father
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

New Mexico State Small bore Championship

Hobbs New Mexico: High-Lonesome Silhouette Club
September 2, 3 and 4th, 2022

https://highlonesomesc.org/nm-state-competition

This is the first in a decade, or so, as far as we know. The club is excited to host what we hope will be an annual event for years to come.