NRA Lever Gun Rifle Rules

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Re: NRA Lever Gun Rifle Rules

Post by PAndy »

You lay out quite a scenario, SqH! I am pleased to say that I have never been limited to the two options of either a shot out old deer rifle or a $3000 collectable Winchester.
Bret888
Unclassified Poster

Post by Bret888 »

SqHunter wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:10 am
PAndy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:01 am I've only been shooting silhouette for a few years so I don't have any historical perspective to offer. My immediate reaction to the idea of allowing re-barreling rifles is negative. Swapping barrels from another Winchester or Marlin or Henry, etc. would not bother me at all and I'm sure people do it, but aftermarket barrels seem to be a departure from the spirit of the event. There are plenty of arguments for and against this of course, but I don't understand how this rule change would help grow the game. ?

Phil Anderson
Phil, Rebarreling allows you to purchase an inexpensive, worn out, non-collector rifle and fix it well enough to shoot silhouette. This saves many thousands of dollars when comparing to collector grade Winchesters. Rebarreling simply means more rifles would be available to be used, at a cheaper price, than what is currently available.
I don't see many "collector grade " Winchesters on the line, but if you bought a non collector grade, which won't be cheap, rebarrelled, and refinished it, you might as well have bought a collector grade gun. Almost all non collector grade guns are abused and worn in finish, with decent bores. The average deer rifle didn't see 10k rounds. I have seen pitted barrels from the corrosive priming era that shoot well within the 3 MOA someone mentioned. Whoever mentioned the same guys winning anyway is probably right, but I vote leave the rule as it is.
Hosspower
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hosspower »

Building a lever rifle under the guise of resurrecting and old worn out gun is BS.

Henry and Winchester are making guns every day that can be used.

The guys on here are here that want the rebarrelled lever guns are just used to building a gun for every other discipline they shoot. At lever matches they can’t talk about all the money and work they put into the gun.
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

Hosspower wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:03 am Building a lever rifle under the guise of resurrecting and old worn out gun is BS.

Henry and Winchester are making guns every day that can be used.

The guys on here are here that want the rebarrelled lever guns are just used to building a gun for every other discipline they shoot. At lever matches they can’t talk about all the money and work they put into the gun.
What Winchester?
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

$1,600 to $2,200 for a nice Winchester or a Cimarron in the Deluxe Sporter with a 24" barrel.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

So you can use a modern produced factory gun, made on cnc equipment with 100+ years of technology and materials improvements, but a new barrel is not allowed.

Makes as much sense as allowing electronically stabilized binoculars (because you know those existed in the 1800's) but not allowing spotting scopes that are used in all other shooting sports, making the precious new shooter buy more equipment
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

thauglor wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:25 am So you can use a modern produced factory gun, made on cnc equipment with 100+ years of technology and materials improvements, but a new barrel is not allowed.

Makes as much sense as allowing electronically stabilized binoculars (because you know those existed in the 1800's) but not allowing spotting scopes that are used in all other shooting sports, making the precious new shooter buy more equipment
Absolutely !

I bought 4 - 39As and 2 - 57s before I got a nice shooter. If I could have bought a new barrel i could have made it a lot easier to get where I wanted to be.

Whether you spend $2,200 plus the accoutrements on a new Winchester or put a Shilen on an old 39A you still can't buy a Master's card.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

I see the same arguments repeated by the same people as new posts come in. Not judgmental. Just an observation.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

thauglor wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:25 am So you can use a modern produced factory gun, made on cnc equipment with 100+ years of technology and materials improvements, but a new barrel is not allowed.

Again… Shhhh… we don’t use logic here… strictly feels… the entire world is being run on it…. (Same people will tell you the old 700 actions were way better though they had to be trued and have the lugs timed, talking to actual smiths that spin on barrels the RR prefix actions, built on CNC machines are actually pretty straight out of the box requiring way less work) =))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Sporty wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:56 am I see the same arguments repeated by the same people as new posts come in. Not judgmental. Just an observation.
(Read, sure would be nice if this subject would just fade away…)

Don’t worry, unless match directors wanted to get to get together to flaunt rules there is no worries that the “rules” are going to be changed in any time frame that would matter. There is barely a competition department and there is no silhouette committee so the rules are “static”.

And I can give example of that where when the committee took away lenses in the rear aperture several matches wrote programs specifically saying they would allow them….

Odd. When they originally wrote the rules for the game they didn’t mention allowing lenses in apertures? Why should they be allowed now?

Strange. :-B
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Nope. You have an unlimited number of tries/replies to get my meaning but let's not hijack this thread on the meaning of my observation, please.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

cedestech wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:15 pm Don’t worry, unless match directors wanted to get to get together to flaunt rules there is no worries that the “rules” are going to be changed in any time frame that would matter. There is barely a competition department and there is no silhouette committee so the rules are “static”.

And I can give example of that where when the committee took away lenses in the rear aperture several matches wrote programs specifically saying they would allow them….
I had a long #grumpymarsh post asking if the move from production class to the 'equipment race' class really made people switch to lever. With PRS and NRL centerfire and rimfire guys spending over $3k on just a scope, seems to me that there are bolt gun shooters out there. It's just that scoped silhouette is really hard, there's no marketing, it's not tacticool, etc. And even if lever is easier, you still have to stand up to shoot...which is hard. If someone wants to spend their $$ on a rebarrel of a lever gun fine by me. I don't know how many animals that would actually buy. If someone shows up at the TSRA high power match and needs to sit down or has a rifle that is a bit too heavy or whatever, I'm not going to tell them they can't shoot. I just won't submit their score or give them an award...unless it's a #paperplate award of some type.
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

After reading through this discussion, I am grateful the .22 Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Association (.22 BRCRA) distanced itself from the NRA.
Joaquin B
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I started shooting 22 BPCR last year and LOVE IT. Will start BPCR as soon as CPA is done with my rifle.

Again, they seem to not have anything resembling a “equipment race”. They have “formula rules”. Certain actions types, weights, exposed hammer, acceptable shooting positions. Easy Peasy. I’ve see everything from a few hundred dollar rifles to several thousand dollar rifles, antiques to one off custom built (and by one off/custom, that means that before the rifle was commissioned, it was nothing more then a steel billet).

They seem to be doing alright….

8)