Small bore vs. Target thickness

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
olympian
B Poster
B Poster

Small bore vs. Target thickness

Post by olympian »

Hi everyone,
I am looking for some help and realize this is a little out of the norm. I am trying to see if I can get away with a single set of targets for 22lr and 9mm.

With a standard velocity load out to 100, will a 22lr pistol knock down a 3/8 scale, 3/8” thick set of PTR targets?

Thanks
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Small bore vs. Target thickness

Post by Merlin »

Maybe, Maybe and I don't think so. Or probably, probably and I doubt it. We shoot the pistol cartridge targets C,P & T and thinner Ram targets and the nearly always fall with any solid hit - with rimfire rifles. I would paint between strings and count any solid hit on the Rams as a downed target - IF you need to use one set of the heavier targets...... Being able to play the game is the most important thing, IMO anyway...
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

Not unless you set them very light, and then you'll probably have some blow over.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

Shooting 22lr lever action silhouette one day the pistol caliber pigs were unintentionally set up on one bank. Using SK High Velocity ammo from a 20in barrel turned 6 pigs in a row. I know that these are 1/2 scale and not 3/8 targets. But this is what I saw 1st hand and is probably a clue to your query.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

sometimes i will use a 10 inch barrel thompson center contender in the hunter pistol match. i use 22 lr hv ammo, mostly cci mini mags. i ring 80% of the rams. also i will ring and/or turn pigs.
olympian
B Poster
B Poster

Post by olympian »

Thanks everyone. The message is quite clear my hope was not likely to work very well.