Scopes are coming!

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Scopes are coming!

Post by ter »

Scope arrived today. I mounted it on an air rifle for indoor shooting. It was a ton of focus past 30 feet. Probably crisp at 20X at 15 feet. I usually need a 50 foot adapter for 28 feet (local matches). New scope position in the rings is about 1/2 inch forward of the older 6x20efr to obtain eye relief.
First 6x20 EFR I ever had that did not come with sun shield. That is BS on a 800 dollar target scope.
Knob on the range dial is nice.
I can see through the diamond, and my first impression with a 1/2 moa dot for comparison, the dot is easier to see. Again that is my first look indoor, so outside may be different. Glass is very bright.
I think it looks good, but I'll need some range time to make a better judgment.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

MOTO VITA wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:38 am
Emietenkorte wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:17 pm
ter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:02 pm I ordered a new diamond efr. Curious if I can see any difference between the last series.
I did a comparison of the new HD and the old vx-3i when I got one back in April. You can watch it here https://youtu.be/1KOBEwcZ2jg

You will be able to see through both of them side by side. I can definitely see a difference between the two, with the new one being much brighter and clearer.
That video is very informative, thanks. Seeing the two reticles side by side I must say I prefer the dot over the diamond. I'm wondering if a scope shop can put a large dot over the diamond which would keep the tapered crosshairs, which I also prefer and I believe is a Leupold exclusive.
My initial reaction was similar... change is difficult for me sometimes but after shooting it for a while I have to say I really like the diamond. Either way I'm happy that there is something available for silhouette shooters to use and for Leupold to also reach other markets as well.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

Forgot to add that they do not come with wider target knobs. Just knobs under the covers. So just like ice cream containers getting smaller, now no sun shield or spare target knobs.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

ter wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:17 pm Forgot to add that they do not come with wider target knobs. Just knobs under the covers. So just like ice cream containers getting smaller, now no sun shield or spare target knobs.
The wider target knobs have been gone before the Vx3i version, probably went away in the vx3 series. I got mine Saturday, not sure it is much brighter than my vx3i when i tested it indoors looking into the kitchen, but it focuses down nicely and at least it is a dot shaped reticle
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by CoolArrowMarksman »

for new shooters in to the sport this is a huge relief to see come out and have available in stores.

It's tough finding an adequate parallax scope that ALSO has a fatter than 3/8 dot. Telling my friend to keep an eye out for a good deal on a 6.5-20 EFR with the tiny dot wasn't a great intro to the sport.
and then telling her if she wanted a fatter dot, the 3/8 minute is just plain tiny for our bad eyesight, it would be $226 and a 4 month wait from Ackerman again doesn't encourage people.

Having this flat $800 option, WITH a half minute diamond that's better in my eyes than the tiny 3/8 dot, is much simpler.
"Buy a good rifle, buy the Leupold 6.5-20x with a diamond, slap it on the rifle, go shoot.

jumping through all these hoops convinced me that lever action silhouette was the easiest way to introduce people to the sport.
I even picked up a spare 39a so i could loan it to friends who are willing to come shoot a match with me
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

ter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:02 pm I ordered a new diamond efr. Curious if I can see any difference between the last series.
I did a comparison of the new HD and the old vx-3i when I got one back in April. You can watch it here https://youtu.be/1KOBEwcZ2jg

You will be able to see through both of them side by side. I can definitely see a difference between the two, with the new one being much brighter and clearer.
That video is very informative, thanks. Seeing the two reticles side by side I must say I prefer the dot over the diamond. I'm wondering if a scope shop can put a large dot over the diamond which would keep the tapered crosshairs, which I also prefer and I believe is a Leupold exclusive.
Ackerman looks like it's the last game in town now that the Leupold Custom Shop is closed.
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Ackerman looks like it's the last game in town now that the Leupold Custom Shop is closed. from what Evelio was telling me they have a special ink that they apply to the glass for their dots.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

For more information about these new scopes, the why behind the diamond, what is coming in the future and the status of the custom shop check out this video. Also on the channel is the comparison of the old scope with the new!

https://youtu.be/bRTpxbA0O2w
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

What sources have the diamond in stock?

The larger knobs may seem convenient, but putting the covers over the smaller ones reduces the chances of your sight settings being knocked off. It’s whatever you prefer.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

The last time I spoke with someone at Leupold they were working remotely with the exception of one person working alone in the repair shop. The custom shop is closed indefinitely, but not “discontinued”.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

There are currently 3 appropriate silhouette scopes for sale on Accurate Shooters forum... a 6.5-20, a straight 24 and a boosted 6.5X20....

They have been for sale for a bit and very fair prices... 2 are still warrantable by Leupold.

The fact that they aren't snatched up immediately shows there is a lack of demand in the market place and why Leupold has been slow to not really all that interested in bringing silhouette specific scopes back to market.

Life makes way more sense if you understand basic economics, it applies to all facets of human interaction at almost all levels.

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Economics- ... 419&sr=8-6
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

I agree about the “urgency”/priority issue, but will observe that this scope is an updated version of an existing product which, except, perhaps, for the matter of reticles, is not really a silhouette specific product.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I hope to find someone with the diamond reticle so I can look through it. I have a pair of FX-3 25x40 with the 1/2 minute dot and I can’t say that I am a fan of those scopes. I am currently using a VX3i in 6.5-20 and the duplex reticle; I like this set-up much better! I think the 25 power was too much scope for me and getting the eye relief was tricky.

A brighter 6.5-20 sounds good but that diamond reticle is big unknown for me and on a $800 scope I like to have at least look through it.

Still, I am very happy to see the 6.5-20 remain in the line-up.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

DavidABQ wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:16 am I hope to find someone with the diamond reticle so I can look through it. I have a pair of FX-3 25x40 with the 1/2 minute dot and I can’t say that I am a fan of those scopes. I am currently using a VX3i in 6.5-20 and the duplex reticle; I like this set-up much better! I think the 25 power was too much scope for me and getting the eye relief was tricky.

A brighter 6.5-20 sounds good but that diamond reticle is big unknown for me and on a $800 scope I like to have at least look through it.

Still, I am very happy to see the 6.5-20 remain in the line-up.
This video should give you a good idea of what it looks like. In the video I actually give you the view through both the old VX-3i with a half-minute dot and the new diamond reticle. Hope that helps.

Erich

https://youtu.be/1KOBEwcZ2jg
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

Where are the new scopes available?