Scopes are coming!

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Scopes are coming!

Post by cedestech »

When they come out I’m buying one even if it sits in a box on the shelf. Same as I bought several 24” Henry rifles in 22 and 22mag when they came out. It’s a financial “thank you” for trying to fill a niche that customers requested…

:ymhug:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Correct me if I'm wrong but a 30mm tube could get a higher effective scope height since that's measured from the bottom of the scope.
Then again most folks can't get a good cheek weld with max height rings anyway.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Grantmac wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:31 pm Correct me if I'm wrong but a 30mm tube could get a higher effective scope height since that's measured from the bottom of the scope.
Then again most folks can't get a good cheek weld with max height rings anyway.
Yes and yes.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Emietenkorte wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:57 pm They're not going to make everyone happy, however this scope fills one of the most important roles that our sport needs right now... equipment for new shooters! We have to remember that these companies have to make a product that will reach a wide range of disciplines and shooters. It's easy to be upset and complain if we only think about ourselves. They are working on an 8.5-25 with the target diamond but had to make it with a 30mm tube to allow for more reticle travel for other disciplines besides silhouette. Only problem is with a larger tube comes more weight. There is only so much they can do and I think it's important to recognize the effort they are making to assist silhouette shooters.
I don't think anyone expects everyone to be made happy with a single scope and that wasn't my point.

The greater idea to my post is that since the scope is limited in its appeal, I expect the sales to be less than impressive. Low sales will lead to an inevitable discontinuation and Leupold saying "well the silhouette market isn't big enough to justify a dedicated scope" leaving us where we have been for the last couple of years when the fault was that they threw too small of a net. Scopes that aren't perfectly ideal for silhouette are all over the market as it is. New shooters can buy those too. A wider range of magnification allows the scope to be appealing to more shooters in a wide range of disciplines. I'm not upset nor am I complaining. I'm pointing out a flaw in their approach and by my saying that it should have been appealing to a larger crowd, I'm literally thinking of everyone rather than only myself. If I only cared about myself I would have said "make a fixed 25 power scope with a half MOA dot" which is what they did in the past and discontinued because I think it was limited in its appeal by being fixed power.

The 8.5-25 is a much stronger option to bring to market. Let's hope it follows the 6.5EFR fast enough to not fall victim to any decisions made based off of sales of the 6.5, because while cedestech is my hero in all regards, I don't feel as he does. I don't feel I owe Leupold anything to the point of buying a scope as a "thank you", because why would I thank them for making something that is useless to me? I'll buy the Bergara BMR as a thank you just as I bought the Henry 24" Frontier as a thank you, because those items were what I think the shooters asking for. The 6.5-20EFR is almost what I think the shooters were asking for.

I'm happy Leupold is responding to shooters. I'm just very concerned that this could potentially end up hurting us by the scope potentially not being appealing enough for shooters to buy in mass, Leupold will discontinue and not try again in the future pointing to poor sales when it was their fault in the first place.

I don't have my finger on the pulse of brand loyalty within silhouette because I think there is a degree of "buying what's available regardless of b rand" (though I do think Leupold reigns king for the most part), but Sightron had a 6-24power scope with a 7/16MOA dot, 1/4MOA clicks, and was light. A perfect, wide appealing scope in all regards, but I've seen very few of them on the line outside of the ones I've had and it was discontinued a few years back. Was it because most shooters only want to shoot Leupold or will the market not respond to new scopes regardless of the specs? I hope it's the former rather than the latter for our sake today.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbzeus »

I see a reference to a diamond reticle for this new 6.5-20. Anyone know what that looks like?
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

jbzeus wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:21 pm I see a reference to a diamond reticle for this new 6.5-20. Anyone know what that looks like?
This is a picture of the reticle. It is very zoomed in but you can get an idea. It's the best compromise between the old target dot and the need for ease of manufacturing. I don't know the technical engineering behind it but looking through it it is very comparable to the 1/2 min dot. Hope that helps!
Erich

thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Well there is a duplex version of the new 6.5-20 on their webiste: https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-6-5-20x4 ... ine-duplex

I also second all that Doodaddy said, good wisdom in that post
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

Leupold still not in any retailer as far as I could search.
I just ordered a Meopta 4-20X with a dot centered in a hash reticle. It has focus to 10M, one inch tube, and looks like nice turrets. I opted for the one with the lit reticle, just to see what that is like. Naturally it has some negative attributes. A 50mm objective, and it was a bit heavy at 23.5 oz.
For me I would like a wider field of view that the 50mm has, and weight is not issue because it is going on a 54MSR that has weight to spare.
That model could have a 44mm objective, but they are out of stock. I don't think the reticle can be lit in the smaller objective. That one is 21.5 oz.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

When billion dollar companies are struggling to make things I am not surprised Leupold has issues. I'm sure they would love to have these on the market but we don't know what is going on behind their doors
danthebulldog
B Poster
B Poster

Post by danthebulldog »

I won one of those new scopes, this weekend at Pe Ell. I’m excited to see what’s it’s like with the new crosshairs and the scope does feel a bit heavy not bad. I should be able to mount this cool scope this weekend and shoot on Sunday. I will keep you all posted on what I think.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Two of these new Leupold scopes were given away at the Match in Pe Ell this past weekend. They were 6.5-20 with 50MM objective lens and the diamond reticule. Very impressive.
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

danthebulldog wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:40 am I won one of those new scopes, this weekend at Pe Ell. I’m excited to see what’s it’s like with the new crosshairs and the scope does feel a bit heavy not bad. I should be able to mount this cool scope this weekend and shoot on Sunday. I will keep you all posted on what I think.
congrats!
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Hey everyone! As you may have read, silhouette shooters were able to check out the new VX-3HD 6.5-20x40 EFR with target diamond reticle this past weekend at the Conard Bernhardt Silhouette Championship. Thanks to Leupold for coming to the match and showing their support for silhouette shooters! I was able to do an interview for The Rifle Silhouette Channel on YouTube and ask some questions regarding the scope and about a few other things we can expect from Leupold for silhouette. Check it out here https://youtu.be/bRTpxbA0O2w

I was also provided with a target diamond reticle scope and duplex reticle scope and did a comparison between the new VX-3HD and the previous model VX-3i which includes a look through the scope as well! You can check that out here https://youtu.be/1KOBEwcZ2jg
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by CoolArrowMarksman »

Very interested in getting one of these.
Would an SKU/UPC/Leupold part number when someone finds one. My indoor range is a Leupold dealer and said they'd be happy to try to order one for me when they're out, just need to know the model.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Erich- I enjoyed your Leupold interview, thanks for that.

A really big thing for silhouette, maybe the biggest thing, is how the scope tracks. The innards as related to tracking is never mentioned in any Leupold literature. Most scope manufacturers don’t. Weaver used to make a big deal of it though and Sightron has too. I would like to know more about it in the Leupolds.

Also, does this scope have a one turn parallax ring? I had a Leupold 24x br scope. Very nice scope but heck it was multiple turns and I never could get the objective adjusted in a short time. I really like the way my weavers work in this restpect, one turn and graduated for 40,60,77, and 100m.