Another stock question

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Another stock question

Post by Grantmac »

Would you consider the Tikka CTR stock legal for hunter class:
https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t ... ical-rifle
I believe the cheek piece is permanently attached although molded separately.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Another stock question

Post by cslcAl »

Yes
Team Sierra Member
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Yup I would consider it legal too
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

I have one coming for my T1X, was very cheap on ebay and ticks most of the boxes I need so long as it'll be legal. Then again my local shoots seem to focus mainly on the spirit of the rules over pedantic interpretations.

As a aside I'm really enjoying the T1X after having had a 1416 and a Weihrauch. I may still get a 2 stage trigger for it but not until I figure out if it's really a shooter. So far poor visibility has only let me shoot 20m but the fit seems much better for me.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

I have a T1X as a back up. It shoots eley really well, less than 1 moa at 100m if I use team/match. It also does well with sk.

I have the Timney 2 stage, but it is barely 2 pounds. If you sell your single stage, I might be interested.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

I'm going to need the single stage to shoot PRS production class. They come up on ebay pretty regularly.
I'm surprised the Timney doesn't hit 2#, they are supposed to?
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I have had a couple timneys on my t3x and t1x, hit 2 lbs easy and had enough over travel adjustment to get it out of the way to not be an issue for standing
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Finally had it out to shoot in it's original stock, CTR arrives next week, this thing is a shooter! I think I might have a more active shot using a single stage rather than a two stage. Unsure but this is working which is what matters.
Easily keeping everything inside 3/4" at 50m with CCI SV and Eley Contact, so a cheap date at my skill level.

The plastic stock is light enough that even with the thin barrel the balance is quite far forward.
The added 1" LOP and grippy rubber butt plate on the CTR should help the fit. I'm finding the trigger guard hold is just a little too compressed but hand in front of the mag perhaps a touch far. Currently having a slightly floating cheek weld with medium/high rings so the CTR stock should get that settled nicely.
I should have almost 1/2# of weight available to play with ballast depending on the optic combo I settle on.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

Grantmac wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:20 am Would you consider the Tikka CTR stock legal for hunter class:
I think the stock would be okay, but there might be an problem with the magazine if you use it for support. You might want to see if they have a magazine that sits flush with the stock or you may have to modify one. Does the barrel have any taper at all, even if you have to measure it with a dial caliper?
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

RBriscoe wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pm
Grantmac wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:20 am Would you consider the Tikka CTR stock legal for hunter class:
I think the stock would be okay, but there might be an problem with the magazine if you use it for support. You might want to see if they have a magazine that sits flush with the stock or you may have to modify one. Does the barrel have any taper at all, even if you have to measure it with a dial caliper?
The CTR stock added 1" to the LOP and now the trigger guard hold is about right.
There are aftermarket mag base plates available. Personally I'd rather have the full 10 for ORPS.
Lots of taper in the barrel, it's a rather thin barrel. I'd rather it was thicker.