Took the leap

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Took the leap

Post by Grantmac »

Just sent off a check for a used TX200 HC .177

No air rifle silhouette around here but I'm hoping to maybe start changing that, or at least working on getting an air gun area at the range next to the archery where we can keep steel targets without having someone blast them with a center-fire.

At the very least it should be a good yard gun once I put a 12fpe spring in it. Might go so far as the lighter/reduced diameter piston mod.

-Grant
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Took the leap

Post by dustinflint »

Great! Post up here if you need any advice on getting an air rifle silhouette program going in your area.

Dustin
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Grantmac,
Post what area you are in - if you don't mind.
You never know, there could be plenty of like-minded people around who can help with getting started!

ShootingStar
aka - Greg Chandler
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Currently Vancouver Island BC Canada, but about to take a 4 year gig at Whidbey Island NAS in Washington. Hopefully find a place with enough space to shoot AG in the yard there, can just squeeze in 30yds right now.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

We are one of the few clubs that run airgun silhouette and I always like to see people wanting to do the same. It is a great silo discipline even though ignored by many. The great advantage is that the range is easy to set up and only needs 45 yards max. and backstops are not as big an issue as for firearms. Air pistol is even easier needing only 18 yards max.
Rick B. FTRPA
Richard
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Yup, we run air rifle matches year-round here as well.

Also don't understand why more silhouette shooters won't get into it. It's so much fun!
Allen Corneau
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Do any of you run it on an archery range? I'm trying to pitch that to the local club because our membership is so huge that booking the entire rifle range like we do for smallbore takes isn't going to be possible.
The archery folks seem concerned about airgunners shooting up their targets but honestly a lead pellet doesn't offer much damage to an arrow, nothing like when someone leaves a point behind (I'm also a competitive archer).

Ideally I'd like to get some resettable targets we can leave out 24-7. Which wouldn't be possible on our rifle range for obvious reasons.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Grantmac wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:55 pm Ideally I'd like to get some resettable targets we can leave out 24-7. Which wouldn't be possible on our rifle range for obvious reasons.
Shawn Curliss makes resettable tenth scale targets. This is his group post on Facebook with his contact information. I believe you're a member of the Metallic Silhouette Shooters Society group so you should see the post there.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Sporty wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:10 am
Grantmac wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:55 pm Ideally I'd like to get some resettable targets we can leave out 24-7. Which wouldn't be possible on our rifle range for obvious reasons.
Shawn Curliss makes resettable tenth scale targets. This is his group post on Facebook with his contact information. I believe you're a member of the Metallic Silhouette Shooters Society group so you should see the post there.
Oh excellent thanks!
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

You're welcome!
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Is anyone running a tune on these? Specifically for carbine length to make it easier to cock?
I don't have the gun in hand and already spending more money.

-Grant
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Lower power spring for sure.

I tried a Delrin tuning kit from Tinbum (in the UK) but my rifle chewed up the washer and broke the spring guide in about a month, so I replaced those with the original metal parts again. The top-hat is still the Delrin part from Tinbum, so we'll see how long that lasts.

Other than that, just picking what pellets your rifles likes and setting up the trigger to your liking is about all you need to do. Then you just have to learn how to shoot it well (which is the hard part).
Allen Corneau
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Already planning on the 12fpe spring and possibly even a 6-7fpe for the yard depending on noise. Can machine my own parts if wanted as well.

Lots of folks running that lower power level seem to like reduced piston diameter kits in the UK but that definitely becomes expensive (+250$).
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by joemo »

I'm not sure what was done to my TX 200, but the tune did make a big difference. Also had an HW 77 tuned with similar results. They were good before but even better now. Enjoy the rifle. Air rifle silhouette is a lot of fun. There is a target on line with air rifle targets scaled for 10 meters. It is a great way to practice in your basement or other confined space.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

I should have stated it earlier in the tread, but better late than never. . .

At Asheville Rifle & Pistol Club - near Asheville, NC - we hold our Monthly Air Rifle Silhouette Match before our Smallbore Silhouette Matches.
We shoot them on the 2nd Saturday March - November (except in June, when we host the NC Smallbore Silhouette Championship Tournament on the 1st Weekend).
If you (or anyone else) is in the area at that time, come shoot with us!
I know it's a looooong way from you Grantmac, but you never know what the future holds!

Also let you know that a neighboring club (Piedmont Gun Club) offers additional Silhouette Matches on the 1st Sat (Smallbore Rifle) & 3rd Sat (Smallbore Lever Action & Pistol Cartridge Lever Action) - so you can make an extended vacation out of it!!!

ShootingStar aka Greg Chandler
Match Director - and seller of the best Ductile Cast Iron 1/5 scale Silhouette Targets!