Regulator installation, Benjamin Marauder

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Regulator installation, Benjamin Marauder

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Got me a Benjamin Marauder Gen 2 ,177 air rifle for indoor practice... And I love shooting the thing, but my shot count is fairly low, at about thirty before the air runs too low for accuracy. So I am thinking of installing a Huma regulator in it. Anyone done it? How hard is it to do, and was it worth $120?
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Regulator installation, Benjamin Marauder

Post by richard »

I also had a marauder and yes, about thirty shots is what I got as well. I did put a reg in it but for me it did not change anything. Still got around 30 shots with reg in. The reg is not difficult to install but the gun was accurate without it. I have heard that others do better with the shot count. I did not care for the rifle generally so I moved it along but we have guys in our club that shoot them in Field Target with and without regs. Those guns are really great shooters if set up properly.
My gun was shooting above 20 FT LBs when I got it so I had to reduce it to under 20 Ft lbs energy. If you reduce power to around 12 FT LBs you might up your shot count. Power adjustment is covered in the manual but you would need a chrono to evaluate what you do.
I don't like to tinker but if you do a Marauder is great for that.
Rick b.
Richard
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Thank you very much.... but unless I can get the shot count better, I am gonna move to the TX200. I have an old RWS Model 75 which I bought in 1984 (!) and which still shoots beautifully. I got the Marauder as a back up for when the 75 coughs it up .... might not have been the right move..
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

The guns you mentioned are fine for practice( or competition for that matter). I mostly use piston guns for practice too(ProSport and HW97) just because it's easy and gives me some exercise. If you are all about shot count in a PCP you can always go to a 10 meter gun. My Anschutz 8002 gets over 200 shots per fill and I have two air cylinders so never an issue running out of air.
Rick b.
Richard
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

The regulator only gives more shot count at lower power. Thankfully 12fpe really is plenty.

I'm looking at either an Air Venturi Avenger or an Artemis M16 as a practice gun for my small bore. Either one should adjust down to ~12fpe and give at least 40 quiet shots for yard practice. I can only shoot 30m at home anyway.

That said a 10m PCP can be a great option if you find one. Although not longer very similar to a hunter class rifle at all.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I keep thinking that I should have bought the TX200. I have a generation 2 Benjamin Marauder with a Lothar Walther barrel and a synthetic stock. And I know it's me, but I can't shoot it (indoors at 40') as well as I can shoot my old RWS Model 75. Also, I am topping it up with a hand pump, which is a PIA after only thirty shots. I need a compressor everyone tells me, but .... man ... for the price of one of those, I could buy two or three TX200s...... Anybody wanna trade their TX200 for my Benjamin?
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

6-7fpe is LOTS at 40', turn that gun way down.

Also compressor prices have gone way down. Under $400 no problem.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I do like shooting the Benjamin, and our club president and match director just bought a compressor and just told me he'd air up my old SCUBA tank whenever I needed it. That means I can shoot the gun in our 50 shot indoor winter league this winter. It's a 4 position .22 league, but I'm so old and stiff I can't get in the positions and so they let me shoot it all standing with an air gun. Good practice for silhouette..... I'll stick with my Marauder a bit longer..