Got a rude awakening, along with my scope settings today!!

This is what we do.
Diamond Paul
B Poster
B Poster

Got a rude awakening, along with my scope settings today!!

Post by Diamond Paul »

:shock: Wow! I didn't realize how freaking small those silhouette animals really are! I went out to get scope settings today for the shoot in Benton, Arkansas next weekend. I was happy that the Burris Signature rings with +20 in back and -5 in front (inserts) gave me plenty of vertical adjustment. However, getting my scope settings woke me up about how inconsistent my ammo really is (Wolf Match Target). Might need to start grading it? After getting my settings, I tried shooting the metallic animals (my friend has a set). Good Lord!! They aren't nearly as big as I thought; the ram looks like an ant, even through 24X. To make things worse, the wind was howling (about 25mph gusts, steady 15). I hardly strike fear into Olympic shooters with my holding ability, anyway. I was able to ring up the chicken and the hog consistently, but it took me 6 shots to hit the ram, and that was probably luck. I have made some serious revisions in my expectations for next weekend: if I hit 20, I'll be pretty happy. Before, I figured I'd hit at least half of 'em. LOL, wake up, Paul. :roll: :roll: Anyway, I still look forward to shooting.
"Learn to shoot on your hind legs, like a man."

WIND!!!!

Post by Guest »

Man, I THOUGHT about shooting smallbore yesterday after the (2) cowboy sb matches. I thought better after looking at the turkey swinger for about 30 seconds through my scope. If you can hit 20/60 in wind like this weekend, you'll be good to go for the 30/60 in better conditions...

Next Sat. forcast is a little iffy ...LOL

High = 54*
Precip = 60% chance
Wind = 9mph from the east...

That could be some good shooting conditions...might not be ...LOL
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Just a few comments...
You can't test .22 ammo in gusting wind. Well, you can, but unless you're a fantastic benchrest shooter with lots of windflags, you can't learn anything about the grouping ability of the ammo.
Just remember: "They're not hard to hit but they're easy to miss."
It is very unusual for a first-time shooter without competition experience to hit 25% of the silhouette targets. One of the best "field" (hunting) shots I ever knew hit 4 out of forty in his first, and last, smallbore match. Don't come with any score expectations. Come to steep yourself in the experience, participate in the most challenging of the shooting sports, and meet Chicken George.
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

There was a match at Coolidge, TX yesterday.

Don't know what the winds there were but the DFW area was well into the 30s.

The morning sb was won with a 17. (A state champion level shooter, who shall be nameless here, ;-) turned in a 14.)

THEN IT GOT A LITTLE WINDY; hp targets wouldn't stay on the rails long enough to paint them -- let alone shoot at them. So hp cancelled.

Ain't it fun dealing with Mother Nature...? lol
E Kuney
Diamond Paul
B Poster
B Poster

Wind is my friend!!!

Post by Diamond Paul »

Hey, I love shooting in the wind; when I miss, I have a good reason! lol :lol: Not discouraged, but it sure opened my eyes. Hey, I love to shoot, even when I miss. Ain't giving up, fellas! See ya'll in Benton. :D
nobade
Unclassified Poster

Post by nobade »

Heck, here in NM we can't shoot if the wind's not blowing. There's nothing to lean on! But seriously, if you want to learn how to deal with wind drift try a match like we run here in Albuquerque - use the 1/5th scale silhouettes at 50,100, 150, and 200M and shoot them off the bench with rimfire rifles. (and pistols) it'll really help you read the wind and deal with it. 22's at 200 are about like a .260 at 1000.

Post by Guest »

Insanity! :P
Diamond Paul
B Poster
B Poster

Insanity! I second that!

Post by Diamond Paul »

Wow! :shock: 200 yards with a .22? What you got, about 30 clicks of wind on the sight? Does your sight have enough wind clicks? Insanity for real! :shock: