Silhouette "feet"

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Hawkeye7br
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Silhouette "feet"

Post by Hawkeye7br »

Just trying to think of downstream consequences of such a finite rule....if the welded foot placement becomes a hard and fast rule, will that create a premise for a shooter to protest with a claim that a turned (not fallen) target is out of spec and therefore deserving of an alibi?

asking for a friend....
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

"But, NOBODY wants to engage in discussion on the appalling quality of an NRA document (which one must therefore assume is an official publication) that is cross-referenced from the Rule Book but which contains outdated information and is in dire need of updating.
C'mon guys. Doesn't anybody care?"

True dat.............Let's just shoot and enjoy the day ;)
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

We attend the local Friends of the NRA banquet every year.
This year's banquet was last week.
At one time, it was routine to have our Governor. Lt. Governor and other statewide elected officials speak.
None of those people think it is important to show up now. Only our commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce attends now.
In the past 6 or so years, there has been a steady decline in attendance.
I would say it was at 1/10 or less of room capacity.
From my perspective the NRA will eventually cease to exist as evidenced from the failure of their present fund raising efforts and unwise use of their
past revenue.
Metallic Silhouette is very low on the NRA's list of problems.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

dustinflint wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:32 am We always ask the targets and let them decide what’s most comfortable for them.

Dustin
That is very considerate of you. Well done. :D
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

acorneau wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:20 pm
No1_49er wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:31 pm But, NOBODY wants to engage in discussion on the appalling quality of an NRA document (which one must therefore assume is an official publication) that is cross-referenced from the Rule Book but which contains outdated information and is in dire need of updating.
C'mon guys. Doesn't anybody care?
No one is surprised that the NRA isn't keeping up with an official document for a silly little sport they don't really care about. Are you?

Should it be updated? Of course. Are you going to step up and volunteer to do it? ........... :-??
Thanks Allen, but no, I will not be updating it.

However, it would seem that there is a recognition that (a) the document is not readily available, and (b) it is in need of updating.
This, from an email from Aaron Farmer (quote) "It definitely needs to be redone. We only started sending this out to folks who asked for the txt info once we found this document again. I agree once I can get it updated it would be a good idea to get it posted as it is not currently out there." (end quote)

Attached to that email was a scanned copy of the NRA Silhouette Handbook.

Perhaps the fraternity can apply a bit of "leverage" by asking for the document and commenting on its somewhat aged format? It is, after all, the official place referred to for silhouette sizes, amongst other things.

If you don't ask, you don't get.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

No1_49er wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:04 pm
acorneau wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:20 pm
No1_49er wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:31 pm But, NOBODY wants to engage in discussion on the appalling quality of an NRA document (which one must therefore assume is an official publication) that is cross-referenced from the Rule Book but which contains outdated information and is in dire need of updating.
C'mon guys. Doesn't anybody care?
No one is surprised that the NRA isn't keeping up with an official document for a silly little sport they don't really care about. Are you?

Should it be updated? Of course. Are you going to step up and volunteer to do it? ........... :-??
Thanks Allen, but no, I will not be updating it.

However, it would seem that there is a recognition that (a) the document is not readily available, and (b) it is in need of updating.
This, from an email from Aaron Farmer (quote) "It definitely needs to be redone. We only started sending this out to folks who asked for the txt info once we found this document again. I agree once I can get it updated it would be a good idea to get it posted as it is not currently out there." (end quote)

Attached to that email was a scanned copy of the NRA Silhouette Handbook.

Perhaps the fraternity can apply a bit of "leverage" by asking for the document and commenting on its somewhat aged format? It is, after all, the official place referred to for silhouette sizes, amongst other things.

If you don't ask, you don't get.
The NRA let go virtually the entire Competitions Division staff. Don't expect much, if anything, to happen any time soon regarding matters such as this.

As I recall it, the handbook specifies the size of the feet for each animal, but the lateral placement was not specifically addressed. Generally speaking, it seems that the feet are generally centered on the leg of the animal. The one possible exception is the turkey. I've seen them centered on the leg, but that tends to make them inclined to tip over to the head side of the animal. It seems more common, in practice at least, to center the foot on the turkey's center of gravity, a bit toward the head side of the target. As far as shooters protesting goes, it's the same for everyone. Live with it. Turkeys get turned. It's a fact of life. If you hit them in the tip of the tail I think it more likely to be turned, but not knocked over than if you hit them on the edge of the breast, but that happens too. If someone protests I don't think the typical protest committee is likely to be terribly sympathetic.