How Heavy Is Too Heavy?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
rolltide
B Poster
B Poster

How Heavy Is Too Heavy?

Post by rolltide »

Since there doesn't appear to be an ideal scope in production right now I'm looking at lots of different options.

Scoping a 1712, how heavy is too heavy? The Zeiss that's on there now is 19.75 ounces.

The Leupold 6.5-20 EFR weighs in at 17.8 ounces.

In reality, I'm not overly concerned about making weight since I'm not shooting in official matches, I just want a great scope that has fantastic glass, tracks as it should, but still keep the weight down.

I'd made up my mind to find a used Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30, which weighs 21 ounces, but all I keep finding is the tactical version, which I don't mind but it comes in at 24.1 ounces. This scope is more along the lines of the scopes I use on my other comp rifles, but not exactly what I picture sitting on top of a Meistergrade...

I realize the Bushnell or any other 30mm tubed scope will require rings that may weigh an ounce or two more than the same ring in 1", but is the extra 4.5 ounces ( adding .15 for additional weight in the rings ) going to be that noticeable with how the rifle feels in the hand and how it balances?

I feel like I'm putting way too much thought into something that's not that big of a deal...but then again, I've learned it's better to ask the questions and do as much research as you can before making the purchase.

Would you go with the heavier Tactical model Bushnell?
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Re: How Heavy Is Too Heavy?

Post by Grantmac »

Elite 4200 6-24 if you don't mind duplex and 1/8 minute dials. You'll have to find it used but they come up.
Same with a bunch of different Weavers that can be good and usually have 1/4 dials.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: How Heavy Is Too Heavy?

Post by ShootingStar »

rolltide,
I'll give you my thoughts on your question (does weight <in a scope> matter):
Weight of the rifle system in an regulated match is limited by the rules. Therefore, the rules makers understand that more weight (and lighter trigger) tends to give an advantage. For example, my Target Air Rifle is an Anschutz Superair 2002 SSP (single stroke pneumatic) - an old 10 Meter competition rifle. Full up, ready to shoot with a 24x Weaver with an iddy-biddy dot is almost 13 pounds, with a couple oz, 2-stage trigger!! The rifle has seven weights (I've not weighed them) at the muzzle.

I am a slooooow shooter - in smallbore, but I can cock that Air Rifle, place in a pellet into the "chamber" under that scope, close the block, mount the rilfe, settle in and squeeze off the shot - 5x - in 6-10 seconds under 2.5 minutes, whereas I'm always concerned about the time in Smallbore.

So here's the specific input on weight - as you know the position of the weight is very personal. I've read where top shooters have their "extra" weight in the butt, in the middle, but mostly towards the muzzle as much as possible (to slow the movement of the muzzle). Having that extra weight really helps the gun settle in and all those weights at the muzzle slow those movements too!

You will have to try different rifles (or mock-up weights at different locations on your own rifle) to see how different weight distributions feel.
When I go back to my loaner rifle - CZ Style - it's overall low weight and thin barrel I really notice the movement! It's not a steady as my Anschutz 1712 nor even close to the Superair!!!

You can get some lead weights - like from Harbor Freight - and tape them to different spots on the rifle to mimic the scopes of varying weights. Also add them at the butt or the front end of the forearm - just to feel the difference.

Good luck. Hope that helps at least a little.
ShootingStar - Greg Chandler