Picking a rifle and ammo

This is what we do.
JDBraddy
B Poster
B Poster

Picking a rifle and ammo

Post by JDBraddy »

Am new, have shot a couple matches eight or ten years ago, but was considering giving it another go. Thinking about what rifle to use, my 40x is best shooter, but has a Benchrest stock and tuner, and is too heavy. So I took a sporterized Winchester 75, with a Weaver 6-24x40 and a CZ-452 Grand Finalle with a Leopold 6.5-20 EFR to the range to test with 4 different types of ammo. Sk-match, Lapua Center-X, Eley-Club, and Eley-Match. The 50yd range was closed, so had to shoot off a bench at 100yd. I shot 20 round group with each type ammo, in each gun. The Win-75 shot best with Lapua Center-X 1.90", and a close second with Eley Match at 1.95". The CZ shot best with Eley Match at 1.6" and a close second with SK-match at 1.8". Given the cost difference, and wanting to save the Eley Match to use in my 40x for ARA benchrest, am thinking of using the. CZ and SK-match. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Picking a rifle and ammo

Post by Merlin »

Performance is similar between the two rifles. I would shoot the one that feels the best/most comfortable and shoot the cheapest of the ammos you listed. I would suggest you try some SK Standard as you find it and if you happen across a lot that shoots well in your rifle buy a substantial amount of it and shoot it as its half the cost.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Picking a rifle and ammo

Post by jbzeus »

I've gone to shooting two different ammos. Not just to save cost but to capitalize on more accurate ammo for the turkeys and ram distance.

I find the cheapest that will shoot well at 50yds and use that for chickens and pigs.

Not sure what others do but I find that the best ammo at 50 yds may not be the best choice at 100 yds.

Jeff