What works on Rams?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

What works on Rams?

Post by SqHunter »

Hi folks,

I rang 8 rams at my first high power regional match shooting a 6mm BR loaded with 107 Sierras. It is obviously too small. What would you rebarrel too? I have tried reading through the historical threads here but can't come up with a consensus. Thanks!
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: What works on Rams?

Post by Doodaddy »

What bullets have you tried so far? That would be much cheaper and easier than rebarreling. I hear the 115 DTACs are a favorite on rams.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

If someone wants to they can set rams where a 30-06 won't knock them over.....

Just saying....
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by squinty_shooter »

I Agree with Merlin. We need more consistency in ram weight/rail dimensions/placement.
JMHO
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I shoot 90 gr Bergers at C, P, T and 107 Sierras at Rams. Varget powder in both. Been looking for 115 Bergers for a long time but can't find any. At the regional I hit one in the horn that didn't take it down and also one in the butt. Both were areas I was told to aim at. Center hits did nothing. Obviously, I need more gun. What will take them down no matter what? Does anybody ring rams with a 308 and 165s? I would think it would be hard to make an 8.5 lb 338 shoot well enough for the 500 yd line. What do you think?

Appreciate your advice.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I think you can get an 8# 338 to shoot great, I have one in 338-06AI and it shoots great, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to shoot it 40 or 80 rounds in a silhouette match.

Sorry to hear about all the rings with no falls.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

This was posted a few threads down by ErichM, who also shoots a BR.

"I use 29 grains of Vihtavuori N140 powder with Berger 6mm 95 Grain VLD Target bullets for the chickens, pigs and turkeys, and 30 grains of N140 with Berger 115 Grain VLD Target bullets for the Rams."

I've shot a 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 grendel. I simplifying so I'm using only grendel moving forward. We have a newborn, so I don't have time to dork with 2 rifles. I'm only 4-5 years into silhouette and a 2-3 into reloading.

I've rang rams with both of them, and I probably average better than 80% knockdowns for the ones that I hit. The creedmoor has a 24" barrel, and I shoot 139 scenars over ~39 grains H4350. The grendel has a 26" 8-twist, and I shoot 130 bergers over ~28 grains H4895. I don't know velocities on either. The grendel has less capacity than the 6Br.

I thought that the idea of the 6Br and trend to smaller cartridges was that you pick up more CPT, so it was ok to lose a ram or 8?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

jbmarshtx wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:54 am This was posted a few threads down by ErichM, who also shoots a BR.

"I use 29 grains of Vihtavuori N140 powder with Berger 6mm 95 Grain VLD Target bullets for the chickens, pigs and turkeys, and 30 grains of N140 with Berger 115 Grain VLD Target bullets for the Rams."

I've shot a 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 grendel. I simplifying so I'm using only grendel moving forward. We have a newborn, so I don't have time to dork with 2 rifles. I'm only 4-5 years into silhouette and a 2-3 into reloading.

I've rang rams with both of them, and I probably average better than 80% knockdowns for the ones that I hit. The creedmoor has a 24" barrel, and I shoot 139 scenars over ~39 grains H4350. The grendel has a 26" 8-twist, and I shoot 130 bergers over ~28 grains H4895. I don't know velocities on either. The grendel has less capacity than the 6Br.

I thought that the idea of the 6Br and trend to smaller cartridges was that you pick up more CPT, so it was ok to lose a ram or 8?

I am pretty sure Erich and Cathy are the reasons my smith chose the 6BR for my rifle, but it does not work for me. I can't afford to take time off or work and then travel 4000 miles for a match and the rifle not work. You would not want to go on a once in a lifetime Elk hunt with a .223, would you?

Once again I ask, what works 100% of the time?
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

SqHunter wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:51 am I am pretty sure Erich and Cathy are the reasons my smith chose the 6BR for my rifle, but it does not work for me. I can't afford to take time off or work and then travel 4000 miles for a match and the rifle not work. You would not want to go on a once in a lifetime Elk hunt with a .223, would you?

The lifetime elk hunt analogy doesn't work. Other than sighting in, I'm going to take 1 shot, maybe 2. A box of ammo can last a hunter 10-20 years. You're taking 40 shots in 1 match, over 80 if it's a regional, and probably more like 120. That's more than some hunters shoot in a lifetime.

Pick your poison. Smaller caliber, lower recoil, more pleasant to shoot, and potential for ringing rams. Bigger caliber, higher recoil, less pleasant, more CPT misses most likely, fewer rang rams. Or, we change the way they are set and have people ask if a record is really a record because "back in the day" we wouldn't light set the rams. Can you set a record using 1/2 scale targets at 1/2 highpower distance shooting light loads? It's a game. It's a game, and it's a game that people are passionate about. So passionate, that it comes down to the rams usually.

So if you rang 8 total rams, but hit 12 more CPT because of lower recoil and less flinch, you came out 4 ahead. That's the game. I don't understand how your rifle didn't work, unless you were perfect except for the 8 rams. The equipment is seldom the problem. Yeah, I'm being obtuse in trying to understanding how your rifle failed to work. I'm being this way because last year I directed a state championship, that on most accounts was well done. It wasn't without a lot of help from the RSO, another club match director, relatives, shooters, and target setters.

As of right now we will NOT have a state high power match partly (mainly?) bc of a 6br, rams, a passionate shooter, and a passionate RSO. TX is down to 1 highpower silhouette range, and I can say screw it and be done or I'm left in the position of trying to try to wrangle targets and see if a BPCR range will host a highpower match so we can have a state championship. And then we'll be in the same situation with how to set the rams because some of the rams that we might be able to source are known to be heavy.

edit to rearrange text.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

There is no "magic bullet", or in this case caliber. Nothing will work 100% of the time, at least not in a rifle/caliber you would be willing to shoot for 40/60/80 or 120 rounds. If you make it to the lever gun match this Saturday we can discuss at length.

Greg
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

SqHunter wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:51 am
jbmarshtx wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:54 am This was posted a few threads down by ErichM, who also shoots a BR.

I am pretty sure Erich and Cathy are the reasons my smith chose the 6BR for my rifle, but it does not work for me. I can't afford to take time off or work and then travel 4000 miles for a match and the rifle not work. You would not want to go on a once in a lifetime Elk hunt with a .223, would you?

That's exactly what Cathy and I do... We travel thousands of miles to a match with our 6BRs knowing full well we may lose some rams (knowing it MAY happen and expecting it to happen are different things) but it still seems to do pretty well. As Mr. Marsh stated, I use Berger 115gr. VLD Target bullets traveling at 2725fps on rams in my hunter rifle and yes it does have the occasional ring, but so does my Standard Rifle in 6.5x47 Lapua with 139gr. Scenars. I am flying home from the St. Louis High Power Regional right now, (airplane wi-fi) in which I rang eight of what I am told are the heaviest rams on any range. I also rang five with my 6.5x47. There were people shooting 7-08s with bullets over 160 gr. and they rang some too. I really enjoy shooting my 6BR especially over a 120 round course of fire, it keeps you from feeling it the next day.

To answer your question, what works 100% of the time... no caliber that is allowed within the rules will work 100% of the time. It's a balance between recoil and target damage. We don't want a lot of either. There are a lot variables that are out of our control when it comes to rams, (weight, wind, how they're set, etc.) and I don't want to spend time and energy worrying about those. I focus on hitting as many targets as possible with the expectation that they will go down, If they don't then oh well. Get the 115gr. bullets and get them moving at 2725fps and have fun!
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Last edited by Merlin on Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Interesting conversation, thanks guys.

My wife advised me to come clean, it was only 8 rounds out of 160 that did not work. She is smarter than I am and says that is statistically nothing and to not worry about it. How do you choose to not worry? I can tell you hitting a whole bank of animals and they not falling will really mess with your head! Hitting a whole bank may really have been a once in a lifetime experience, regardless of caliber!

My gunsmith recommended either the 260 or the 6.5 Creedmore as a replacement. I believe they shoot 140somethings in those, is that correct? Do they do a good job? If I don't do that I may just go with a 308 and shoot 165s at rams and 110s at chickens. That is pretty much what I do with my 3030 in CLA.

Last, is there a survey of ram loads somewhere? I can't seem to find one.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Merlin wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:21 pm Every Time!https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=57 ... &FORM=VIRE
I like it! :-c

I dreamed of building a silhouette rifle in .458 American last night. Pretty sure it would trash the chickens!