Scope for Air Rifle?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Scope for Air Rifle?

Post by nemo »

Greetings all,

what scope are you using for air rifle?

Kindest regards,

N
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Scope for Air Rifle?

Post by atomicbrh »

For me:
Open rifle: Leupold 6.5 to 20 EFR with the dot the leupold custom shop installed years ago or a Bushnell 4200 8 to 32x. The Bushnell has a field target elevation knob.
Target rifle: same leupold as above.
Sporter rifle: ancient leupold efr 6.5 to 20 with 1/2 dot. We do not know who installed it.
For Mrs. atomicbrh same scopes as above but a UTG 4 to 12x on her sporter. If you are on a budget, the UTG scopes that are slightly over $100 seem to hold up well.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I have three different scopes...
  • Target rifle (Anschutz 2002 SSP) has a Sightron SII Big Sky with a 1/2" dot.
  • Sporter rifle (AA TX200) has a Leupold M8 24X with 1/4" dot.
  • Open rifle (AA HFT 500) has a Weaver T-24 with 1/2" dot.
The Sightron and Weaver will easily focus to air rifle distances. The Leupold had to have the AO shifted down to cover 20 yards to 50 yards by myself.
Allen Corneau
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi atomicbrh, acorneau,

thank you very much for your replies, I am making a list and will start looking.

Kindest regards,

N
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I shoot 24X, 25X and sometimes 30X in Smallbore but even the 24X seemed too much magnification(wobble) for me in Air Rifle.
I liked the relationship of about 20X to the size of the air rifle targets.
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi atomicbrh,

thank you for the additional information.

Regretfully, it appears that one cannot choose but buy whatever comes first on the used market. Saying that, I will look for a lower magnification.

Kindest regards,

N
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbzeus »

Hi Nemo,

Saw your post and thought I would give my .02. While not as active as some of the other shooters on this forum I have shot some club silhouette and enjoy it. That said, my personal preference in order would be:
1. Sightron Big Sky Silhouette scope 6-24X. It has something like a .40 dot I think. I have a couple but haven't checked them.
2. Leupold EFR 6.5-20 with the Leupold style dot in whatever size works best for you.
3. Leupold 25X silhouette scope
4. Leupold 30X silhouette scope

But, of course these are all out of production. I prefer the variable as you can start out with a lower power and work up if need be. Straight power if you have to make weight. I make weight but where I shoot the rules are fairly loose to promote participation.

That said, any scope will work so grab something and shoot until something pops up. Don't get too hung up on a scope unless you have to make weight where you shoot. Have fun!

jbzeus
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi jbzeus,

thank you for the reply and the list of scopes. Perhaps you have overlooked that the scope is intended for an air gun?

I do have a Leupold 25X silhouette as well as 35x Competition, but neither will focus to 20 yards. I do agree that a variable would be preferred, I am just practicing hold with the 25X and it is currently rather difficult. However, with the scarcity, one cannot be choosy.

I am looking daily at different fora, unfortunately, being on the West Coast, before I stumble to the computer in the morning, the scopes of interest have been snatched. But, eventually I will luck into one.

I do not believe that air gun has a weight restriction, or, have I overlooked it?

Kindest regards,

N
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

nemo wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:04 am I do not believe that air gun has a weight restriction, or, have I overlooked it?
Technically, they do. Section 3.3-A of the 2019 rulebook, page 8...

Sporter is supposed to be limited to 11 pounds, Open is limited to 16 pounds. Target is supposed to be an "unaltered factory target rifle" or brought up to spec with "only factory catalogue barrel weights."

To be honest though, I have never had an equipment check at any major air rifle match I've been to and I don't think anyone really cares. As long as you're not shooting a boosted/high velocity rifle in Target class and shooting a springer of some sort in Sporter class you're good to go.

I do think eventually we need to put a restriction on pellet size so that everyone is on a common playing field. Most of us are shooting .177 rifles but I can see where a .22 or even .25 pellet is just too much of an advantage.

Edit to add: keep an eye out for a Weaver V-24 with their "Varminter" reticle. It's basically a fine duplex with a bigger than usual center section of the inner crosshair. There is a very small dot there too but it's not much, you just use the crosshair part. Focuses down to about 35 feet, good tracking on the adjustments. It's 1/8 MOA clicks, so if you put it on a Target rifle you may have to go a full revolution past your zero to get to Rams. Can usually be found for about $250 to $325.
Allen Corneau
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi acorneau,

thank you for the correction. As many times, an omission/assumption on my part caused a confusion. :( I have been practicing with a target rifle, hence my comment of no weight restriction.

I do have a Walther Dominator though, so your correction is appreciated. I just weighted it, at it is a piggy at 10.4 lbs.

Kindest regards,

N