What Size Kowa

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

What Size Kowa

Post by K Danz »

Looking for some input on purchasing a new Kowa spotting scope. Most folks using Kowa scopes at the high power matches that I attend use the 82SV.
However, this fall I will be going to Colorado for an Elk hunt and will need a new spotting scope. (my old Burris isn't going to cut it)
The idea is to have a scope for both hunting and silhouette. I really don't want to lug around an 82SV in my pack for 8 days.
My question is, what would I be giving up going with a 60 or 66 MM or even a 50 mm Kowa? I mean, a Prominar lens is a Prominar lens no matter the diameter, right?
I should also mention I want the angled model and will be purchasing the 20- 60X eyepiece.
Another driver for going with a smaller objective is that currently there are some good bargains on ebay on some used Kowa's, but those bargains are for the smaller scopes.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: What Size Kowa

Post by atomicbrh »

These cheap Kowa scopes for sale.
Are the sellers located in Japan?
If so, could you keep us informed as to how that buying experience goes, shipping times, etc.?
No matter which Kowa you buy, I recommend installing a clear or uv front filter.
We bought our 82 about 20 years ago, used it gently only for silhouette and never used it without a front filter and a waterproof cover on the eyepiece. Somehow we have deep chips in the front filter. I can only guess that it came from gravel flying from tires in parking lots. I would hate it if those pecks were actually in the real objective lens. In any situation, my family wants long eye relief because of safety glasses, eye glasses and finding the field of view faster. I have never hunted out west but I would do everything possible to waterproof a Kowa if I was hunting with it. I cannot imagine lugging around something as big as an 82 for 8 days.
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tomon »

It's warrantied! I've sent back an old TS821 due to a blue shift with the 20-60, and it came back fixed, or maybe replaced. No Charge except shipping to them.
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

I ended up buying a new 660 with angled body and the 20-60X eyepiece.
Bought it from Optics Planet. And I took the advice from you and a fellow shooter at my gun club and bought the filter/lens protector.
Everyone in my hunting party loved it. Looking through an 82SV and my 660 side by side you can't see any difference in the clarity between the 2 scopes.
I'm happy!!!
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

You have to be careful with this stufff. I once bought a Leupold Mk4 from a friend who had bought a few at a gun show. $350 or so as I recall, it was a price that If I had used my brain would have raised a red flag. As I messed with it I couldn't get the parallax adjusted right. I took one of the knobs off and was surprised at the poor workmanship of Leupold. I figured well heck lifetime warrantee right? Called Leupold and the woman asked me the serial number on the scope. She informed me that they didn't make that scope in spite of having leupold logo on it etc. It was a chicom knockoff. I would not be surprised if they do the same with Kowa spotters.

But, I have a few Kowa spotting scopes. Personally I think there is none better and they are well worth the price. The image is great and they are built to take a beating.
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

K Danz wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 pm I ended up buying a new 660 with angled body and the 20-60X eyepiece.
Bought it from Optics Planet. And I took the advice from you and a fellow shooter at my gun club and bought the filter/lens protector.
Everyone in my hunting party loved it. Looking through an 82SV and my 660 side by side you can't see any difference in the clarity between the 2 scopes.
I'm happy!!!
I have a 883 and every time I look through it I just say "damn, that's beautiful" such amazing glass...I'm glad you're happy with your decision!