Savage Mark II - which base?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
ur2ez22
B Poster
B Poster

Savage Mark II - which base?

Post by ur2ez22 »

I’m upgrading the optics on my Mark II to a used Leupold FX3 that I picked up, and want to get taller rings (likely Morr or D3). The challenge is Savage put Picatinny bases on at the factory, and I can’t find the specs for replacing them.

- Does anyone know what bases will fit the Mark II? I see a few options on the Morr site specific to Remington, Kimber and 1.350” receivers. Will one of those work?

- Is there a need for the bases to be a riser, such as 20 MOA, or is 0 MOA fine for smallbore?

Ultimately I’m trying to have the centerline of the FX3 at ~1.75” above the rail, assuming the rail is a similar height to the Picatinny rail that comes from the factory.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Savage Mark II - which base?

Post by acorneau »

Why not skip the extra parts and just bolt the rings directly to the receiver? One less thing to potentially cause an issue.

I recently put Pete's D3 rings on my Anschutz 1710 and now my Air Arms HFT 500 air rifle. They're really nice rings with the options for 3/8" or 11mm dovetail and a varied selection of heights for only $50 a set make them a winner in my book.
Allen Corneau
ur2ez22
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ur2ez22 »

You mean mount the rings directly to the receiver? They won’t fit on the Picatinny rails as it seems like the main manufacturers only support dovetail mounts, but those can be removed as shown here. What I don’t know is what the size of the Savage action is to make sure the rings (or base if truly needed) will fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Oh, I see now... The receiver doesn't even have a dovetail cut into it! (How goofy is that?!?) My apologies for not understanding the situation.

Unless you get a gunsmith or machinist to cut dovetails into the receiver (which is possible) then you've got to use the bases (or get a one-piece base from someone like DIP) and use Picatinny-style rings.

Since you want the scope to be 1.75" (center of scope tube) over the rail/bases, that puts the bottom of the tube at 1.25" over. I'd do a search for Picatinny scope rings that meet that requirement and then pick from those.
Allen Corneau
ur2ez22
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ur2ez22 »

Easier said than done to find those unfortunately, at least without getting AR-style rings that weigh a ton. I was hoping that someone on here might know of a base that fits on the Mark II, as there are some mounts out there that are intended for dovetail rings (http://www.morraccuracy.com/store/p5/Bases.html).

I’ll keep trying to get ahold of Morr, but if anyone knows of something I’d greatly appreciate it. Trying to get this squared away in the next 2 weeks before the next match.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

My Markll came with weaver bases
That's a Weaver base in the picture.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
ur2ez22
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ur2ez22 »

Thanks for that, good catch. Not sure that simplifies the challenge in finding a solution though as all of the extra tall rings seem to be for a dovetail mount or heavy AR-style rings. Have you found some that get the centerline up to ~1.75” by chance?
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

I used AccuShot Premium 1-Inch Weaver Style See-Thru High-Pro Rings
For a T-24 using the stock mounts that came with the Mark ll.
Tim
ur2ez22
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ur2ez22 »

Ojaileveraction wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:04 pm I used AccuShot Premium 1-Inch Weaver Style See-Thru High-Pro Rings
For a T-24 using the stock mounts that came with the Mark ll.
Thanks, I just checked those out but looks like they’re only 18mm from the top of the rail to the bottom of the ring. I’m hoping to raise it up higher than that, in the 1.25” or 31-32mm range.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

I give. Why 1.75 inches?
I always want to as close to the bore centerline as practically possible.
Tim
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

My guess is for a much better heads-up position.

I personally have 1.5" height rings on three out of four rifles because it allows for the rifle to sit lower in my shoulder and hands while keeping my head upright, something very important in off-hand shooting. Look at any Olympic-style rifle shooter and they have a very high comb to maintain an upright head.

Some folks may have short necks and chubby faces (I'm talk about you, Pat!) and therefore will not need as much scope height to accomplish the same thing, but the goal is still the same. If you can have the rifle lower with your face/head higher, all the better.
Allen Corneau
ur2ez22
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ur2ez22 »

What Allen mentioned - trying to have more of an upright stance within a natural feeling hold. Some believe cocking your head close to the boreline can impact your equilibrium and this game is all about the little things right? One of the Masters shooters at my club helped me with a little trick he’s learned for shouldering the rifle to a natural feel with my eyes closed, and it had me staring right at the top of the ring on the current scope. I just measured from there to get to the height needed.

Now the challenge is getting ahold of Morr Accuracy, who seems to be my last chance at finding a preferred setup. If their bases will fit my Savage, then I can use those to replace the bases from Savage. But they aren’t fond of returning emails or voicemails apparently...
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Thank you!
I love learning.
Tim
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

You might consider Kelbly rings, they were recommended to me for a 40x which has the same problem you are describing. If that doesn't work you might find some bases that mimick the grooved receiver, I think they are called Davidson bases and sold by Harrell precision.

Brownells sells a blank base that could possibly be made into something similar also.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I believe Morr can make you an 11mm rail for his rings. He made a two piece setup for a Tikka I had at the time so I can use his rings.