New Silhouette Scope

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

New Silhouette Scope

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Now that Weaver is no more.
Leupold doesn't have anything usable for us anymore.
Bushnell 4200's are gone.
Burris has nothing.
Nikon has nothing.
What's out there thats new that will work for either a SB or HP silhouette scope? :-??
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: New Silhouette Scope

Post by Doodaddy »

I spoke with Athlon a few weeks back trying to urge them into producing a scope that would be suitable for silhouette. I think they would do well and be affordable, but there wasn't much interest in it. I can't really blame them though. I don't think the market supports it otherwise Leupold would have kept the FX-3 Silhouette line or Sightron would have kept the Silhouette version of their 6-24 Big Sky scope.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I think that one of the big competitors for new scopes is used scopes. Good used scopes are not super hard to find and it seems like the prices have come down because the yahoos are all out buying the latest 90 power scope with an 80mm objective, 40mm tube, and a reticle that takes it's own user manual and special calculator.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Its simply a question of the interest in fixed power scopes. The tactical craze has every sniper wannabe bucking up for the latest fashionable tactical scope to put on their 22lb rifle along with a bi-pod, range finder etc. Silhouette is a more of a hunter's game and hunting is out of favor with the trendy folk. Apparently crawling around on the ground or bracing your firestick on a fence, a bench etc and pretending to snipe at a person is the new cool. Fixed powers are inexpensive to make and have a small profit margin. Leupold bagged the 6x, 12x 25x, AND 3OX fx3'S because they make more $$$ on the high dollar variables. Leupold also bailed on the whole line of bench rest scopes (i.e. 35x, 45x etc)....but the bench rest boys aren't concerned with weight or apparently money and have resorted to March and Night Force and Schmidt-Bender. BTW the 6x FX-3 was extensively used by the Hunter benchrest crowd (you are limited to 6 power)---so it just isn't about not selling.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

As a lark I tried the Precision Rifle game. There were about 30 shooters all of them sniper wanna be's. The time between shooting was almost an hour. I did ok with my HP Hunter's Rifle but waiting an hour to shoot my second relay was to long. Saw more tactical rifles than a SWAT team has. No thanks.
NRA Endowment Member
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

My club has a version of PRS called ' know your limits'. The use of AR's is encouraged. But the precision rifles that were there were the epitome of tactical rifles; the scopes alone were easily over $3000 a copy. Everyone of these heavy hitters was really big on showing off his rig during conversations regarding mil-dots, MOA, BC, etc. I took a chance and suggested that they try HP silhouette and that I would permit them to use their 16lb rifles. I was met with scoffs and comments such as 'what, shoot standing? That's awful tough' or 'I don't think I can hold a rifle still long enough' or ' I just don't have the time' . The truth of the matter is that our sport lacks the 'sniper mystique' ...I'd bet that if we use human torso steel targets they would be all over it especially if they can use their rigs or versions of them L-)
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I thought leupold still had the 25 power? If not I'm way out of it. Gonna have to ask Pete....
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

OldRanger wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:50 pm I thought leupold still had the 25 power? If not I'm way out of it. Gonna have to ask Pete....
I can save you a message. They don't and he can't. Image
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Snake wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 am My club has a version of PRS called ' know your limits'. The use of AR's is encouraged. But the precision rifles that were there were the epitome of tactical rifles; the scopes alone were easily over $3000 a copy. Everyone of these heavy hitters was really big on showing off his rig during conversations regarding mil-dots, MOA, BC, etc. I took a chance and suggested that they try HP silhouette and that I would permit them to use their 16lb rifles. I was met with scoffs and comments such as 'what, shoot standing? That's awful tough' or 'I don't think I can hold a rifle still long enough' or ' I just don't have the time' . The truth of the matter is that our sport lacks the 'sniper mystique' ...I'd bet that if we use human torso steel targets they would be all over it especially if they can use their rigs or versions of them L-)
Thank goodness our sport isn't about the rifle as much as it's about the shooter. Inviting them to shoot your silhouette rifle may be all it would take to peak their interest.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

"Sniper Mystique" - Maybe we should allow folks to wear ghillie suits (at least for their first match)!!!
Heck, we could even have some ready to loan out. Tell them it will add 6-8 points to their total! :))

If they like shooting under pressure, tell them they have to shoot the targets within 60 seconds!

Maybe we should coopt the phrase "One shot, one kill"! B-)
Better yet, tell those sniper guys "Wow, your ginormous scope is A LOT better than mine - you are likely to win!!!" :D

Never know what might get someone out and shooting Silhouettes!!! :-bd

ShootingStar
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I offered the use of my standard rifle and several hunting rifle class rigs which only succeeded in producing a change in topic. One ground crawler actually told me that he's never hunted anything and does not have a hunting rifle 8-| I also suggested that with their expertise, superb equipment, and experience silhouette should be very easy for them...no that may have struck a cord....well see! :-w
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

ShootingStar wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:33 am
Better yet, tell those sniper guys "Wow, your ginormous scope is A LOT better than mine - you are likely to win!!!" :D

ShootingStar
Scope Envy? :))
NRA Endowment Member
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:30 pm
ShootingStar wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:33 am

ShootingStar
Scope Envy? :))
Good one! Nope, just telling them what they want to hear in an effort to get them out to the next match so we can show them how REAL Marksmen (and women) shoot!!!
Maybe, just maybe, they'll come out with their Tactical gear and give it a try!
Remember: It's the Indian, not the arrow!!!
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

ShootingStar I have seen them show up but only once as they claim its to difficult to shoot standing...
NRA Endowment Member
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:11 pm ShootingStar I have seen them show up but only once as they claim its to difficult to shoot standing...
It's all about if you want a "high rewards for low effort" activity or the other way around.

Personally, I get much more satisfaction from doing a good job on something difficult after a lot of hard work to get there.
Allen Corneau