Which Smallbore Hunter Pistol?

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Which Smallbore Hunter Pistol?

Post by Sporty »

T/C Arms Contender G2 Pistol Break Open .22LR 12" BL 1 Round
or
S&W M41 .22LR 7" BL Semi-auto

Cost not withstanding, if you had to choose one or the other for Hunter Pistol competitions?

I envy the shooter who has shot both pistols.
Last edited by Sporty on Tue May 21, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Which Smallbore Hunter Pistol?

Post by Sporty »

Deleted
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

i use and like the t/c with a 10 inch barrel. back when i started you could only have 10 inch barrel. i have one setup with a aimpoint mark 2 and the other with a williams rear and adcock front sight. i use the same setup in 357 mag for hunter pistol. now for big bore i use a xp100 in 7-08 or a t/c in 7 tcu. all are 10 inch barrels. back in the day the ruger mark 1 and 2 were also used.
TexasSilhouette
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TexasSilhouette »

If I had to choose between the two I would go with the G2 Contender but personally would search for a G1 contender with the easy-open trigger guard. The triggers are that much better and easier to lighten.

I see used contenders pretty regularly although I avoid actively looking anymore as I already have many.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Thanks for your recommendations. I decided to spend less on a competition pistol and buy more ammo with the savings. After seeing a couple reviews on the Kel Tec CP33, I got one locally. I've been breaking it in and am pleased with its performance in practice off of a bag. I replaced the bright Williams Fire Sight with a TK "Eagle Eye" rear peep but haven't shot with it, yet. The Eagle Eye is designed for round steel target acquisition. This Saturday's match will be telling.

If it doesn't work out then I'll put it up for sale. They're selling way over MSRP at this time.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

Sporty wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm Thanks for your recommendations. I decided to spend less on a competition pistol and buy more ammo with the savings. After seeing a couple reviews on the Kel Tec CP33, I got one locally. I've been breaking it in and am pleased with its performance in practice off of a bag. I replaced the bright Williams Fire Sight with a TK "Eagle Eye" rear peep but haven't shot with it, yet. The Eagle Eye is designed for round steel target acquisition. This Saturday's match will be telling.

If it doesn't work out then I'll put it up for sale. They're selling way over MSRP at this time.
How has the CP33 worked out for you so far?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

The CP33 has a nice long sight radius for a semi-auto pistol. However, I did better with a red dot. The pistol likes Lapua Center-X. The groups below are with a bag rest. The pistol is fun to shoot but loading 33 rounds in the magazine is tedious. I'm selling it for $435 if you're interested. Only problem is the high cost of shipping a pistol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

Nice shooting - is that 100 yards?

Definitely a good price. Thank you for sharing the target pics!
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

77, 60 & 40 Meters is all I did that day.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

I see! Distances in the filename.