anyone using a 10/22 Ruger for Silhouette

This is what we do.
saikatana

anyone using a 10/22 Ruger for Silhouette

Post by saikatana »

How about it? Anyone having a go at the game with Bill Ruger's popular rifle? Am working on one now with a Claude Gatewood stock, 18" stainless fluted barrel and hoping to send the bolt off to be reworked by
Conn. Precision Chamber. Right now trigger is at 4lbs. and hope to get that down by at least half.
Anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts?
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Yea - I picked up one of the Ultralight weight barrels from PacLite (TacSol) along with some Clark trigger upgrades. It's for my boys as they don't yet have the strength to hold up a typical rifle. It's pretty feather-weight and should help them get their positioning down. It's not a bad little shot either.
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: anyone using a 10/22 Ruger for Silhouette

Post by stsbuyer »

How about these, Briley BMG with MOA action and Kidd trigger and Briley hunter with Richards custom stock. Both are good smallbore silhouette rifles, but I prefer my Anschutz 1712 for most matches.
saikatana wrote:How about it? Anyone having a go at the game with Bill Ruger's popular rifle? Am working on one now with a Claude Gatewood stock, 18" stainless fluted barrel and hoping to send the bolt off to be reworked by
Conn. Precision Chamber. Right now trigger is at 4lbs. and hope to get that down by at least half.
Anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts?
saikatana

10/22 Ruger for Silhouette

Post by saikatana »

nice weapons, is that a Power Custon mount on the top rifle stsbuyer?
Have one to go on my rifle when finished and was wondering how well it works. Is that a barrel weight or a tuner on the lower weapon?

moredecia, that sounds like a sweet set up to start youngsters on. Hope that enjoy the game and become great chooters.

What ammo are you guys using with the 10/22? I have some 711b Federal and some Lupua Master M but thought I would ask for suggestions
Thanks Guys
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 10/22 Ruger for Silhouette

Post by stsbuyer »

THe Briley Hunter Rifle has a scope mount that can with the gun when I bought it. The tube and weight are used to adjust the balance for off hand shooting. I have used federal 711B in both and it is pretty good accruracy wise. But both guns shoot Eley match extra EPS a lot better than the Federal. Good luck, Paul
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Those are nice. Too nice - I could never shoot them. HAHAHA

What sort of groups do you get with that Kidd trigger and what are you using for fodder down those barrels?
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

There are a few custom 10-22's around but not a lot. You can take a stock 10-22 and throw a bunch of money at it and will shoot well enough to win in any class, providing the shooter is up to it. However, it is my observation that by the time you throw away everything but the reciever (that may have to be replaced by a billet stainless one from Volquartzen) and go back with top shelf parts you will have invested at least as much as you would in an Anschutz 1712 that will do the job right out of the box. But, I realize that sometimes half the fun of shooting a gun is the tweaking that you can do, and the 10-22 is made for tweaking.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary..........
Commander in Chief, F Troop
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

John,

Don't forget Mr. Lawton shoots one of these, when he's not letting Kevin hand him a defeat. :roll:

This game is 90 percent mental the other 10 is what you drink :shock:
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Is he still shooting it? Only saw him shoot bolt guns at the matches I was at this year. He did shoot one to good effect for a while.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/aug96secrets.html

The link will lead to an article where he is pictured shooting the 10-22. Haven't read it in a while but I think he discusses advantages/disadvantages. The article was written quite a while back. Kevin was just a small fry then. The kid is coming on pretty well now, it seems.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

John,

He could show-up with a sling shot and a bag of beans and give me a run for the money, but every Dawg has his day.

He shot that 10/22 for the fun match at winnie, IMHO

But then I was in my normal game mode
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

You got that right, about the rock throwing thing. The guy is good.....It 's a pleasure, though boring, to watch him shoot. ....He pull the trigger and a little animal goes down.....Where's the drama in that............If it weren't for guys like Lawton, and girls like Winstead, then we would have nothing to shoot at...
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

John,

Talking about Winstead, how's that working out.........duh.....Why Ike what ever do you mean, maybe silhouette's not your game how about a spelling bee

God Bless the USA

Dawg
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Kathy and I are not talking.......Limit to the lies that his board can stand...You may be right, silhouette may not be my game.....Might add it to that long list of other stuff that I didn't do well.........
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Well spelling ain't my game either been told that by a few, just thought I would put us both at a disadvantage, so I guess we'll just shoot.

Limited lying now there is a concept, how would we go about placing the
limits on some of these great stories that when told here seem to take on a life of their own, even when we that were there in no way saw or heard that.

To your list add watch out for me in georgia, but I'll give ya another chance, just the kinda guy I am.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Ammo

Post by stsbuyer »

I am using some Eley CLub that I bought a couple of years ago at Winsboro. It groups well from the BMG 3/8 at the chicken line 3/4"-1" at the ram line could do better I guess if I ever had good enough conditions. Have shot 31 with the BMG and a 30 with the hunter shooting Federal 711b. But I shot them for fun, and would use my Anschutz for Just about any of the big matches.

Later, Paul
mordecai wrote:Those are nice. Too nice - I could never shoot them. HAHAHA

What sort of groups do you get with that Kidd trigger and what are you using for fodder down those barrels?
mordecai wrote:Those are nice. Too nice - I could never shoot them. HAHAHA