Ammo Suggestion

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Hutch
B Poster
B Poster

Ammo Suggestion

Post by Hutch »

Finished a 10/22 what ammo should I get to run through it to fine the best.
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Ammo Suggestion

Post by Bob259 »

Hutch wrote:Finished a 10/22 what ammo should I get to run through it to fine the best.
You'll need to try several brands, buy a few boxes of each and see which ones shoot best at 50 yards then try two 5 shots groups at 100M and see which has the tighter group. That will be the one to shoot. If it's the real good stuff, spelled expensive (which it usually is), get some of that for big matches and get the next best for regular matches (Buy as much as you can of that Lot number so you have the same Lot that shot those groups in your test sample). Silhouette isn't like 3P where you need one hole groups, but it sure is nice to see them :D

My 10/22 shoots Aquila SE and Aquila Match in less then 1/4" groups at 50 yards, SK, Yellow Box, Practice shoots very well also with slightly tighter groups. Never shot it a longer distance as I use it only for CMP smallbore. The bottom line on ammo is you have to try different ones to see which one your gun likes best. A good book to get and read for a starting point is the 'Riflemans guide to Rimfire Ammunition' by Steven Boelter available at Sinclair International http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/cat ... type=store, or you can get it directly from the author.

It's always fun burning up ammo during these tests :D
Last edited by Bob259 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

One thing I would add is to purchase a large quantity of ammo once you have found what shoots well in your gun. I am talking at least a case. It is frustrating to run low on ammo and then discover you can't get anymore for whatever the reason. Plus, by buying in large quantity, you save some money, and if the price of ammo goes up, you have saved a lot of money. This is a good way to justify large expenditures with a skeptical spouse. Just tell her the purchase is an "inflation hedge!" :)
Mark
Hutch
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hutch »

Thanks
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

As a class B beginner this summer with my Marlin 39A with Nikon Buckmaster Scope, I found Remington's Target for best result. I did try some more expensive CCI RN and ran into ejection problems every so often. Same with Federal 510, eject problems. Casing gets stuck in barrel. CCI mini mag RN was giving better group at 66 meters. Winchester Wildcat 22, is close second. I'm on a budget and will be practicing more as of today w Remington Target. 39A is my very first firearm. After so many years, wife let me buy a gun!
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

One of the better budget ammunitions is Federal Automatch - if you can find it.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

BlauBear wrote:One of the better budget ammunitions is Federal Automatch - if you can find it.
If I come across the automatch at the local stores some day, I will give it a try. Thanks!
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

AutoMatch can usually be found at Wally in 325 round bulk packs. If your shooting the Remington Target ammo I shot I would consider looking for some other ammo unless they have changed the ammo from a few years ago. I could hear the variation in velocity so clearly from shot to shot I got the chrony out and sure enough it would swing as much as 300 fps from shot to shot, for any ammo that is way out of wack. Maybe you are shooting the Rem Eley ammo I hear that is ok. But for the money they want for the Reg. Rem Target it is not worth it. The only Rem I find shoot well is the Sub Sonics but even they are getting price hiked to the point others are within the same cost range that are better.

The best thing I have found for accurate consistent ammo is CCI SV in the paper box. For the money it is hard to beat. I would give some of that a try.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

My 10/22 really liked Eley Black box. I did have ejection problems if I didn't keep the action clean. That combo got me into hunter AAA. It was the gun, not me.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Dee, Remington Target in my newer 39A has been pretty consistant up to 60 meters, compared to others mentioned before. This afternoon setting up paper at range of 100m. I only shot 5 rounds last week at 100 meters and group was 2-1/2 inches, but slight wind is a bigger factor at that distance. Subsonic not allowed. The wind is calm right now going on 3PM. Will be at the range around 3:30 which is 10 minute drive. I will call into our local Wally time to time for Federal Auto Match. Thank you for the info. Last Thursday eve match, knocked off 4 Rams with this 39A, which is the best I've done.
Maybe lucky and will verify for sure this evening......:)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Rem Target is very dirty ammo and will get sticky in your 10/22 action. Find some clean stuff for the shell shucker to avoid ejection problems.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

The 10/22 rifles are excellent....Mine shoots eley well but the waxy stuff can and will cause issues with the tight match chamber barrels which mine with a H and S precision barrel has....the Sk ammo works awsome since they use a diffrent lube....That really seems to be the issue with all 10/22 that I have shot.

P.S...its for sale too.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Until I can find a better target load, std, low budget, that will eject from my 39a consistantly, I have to stay with Remmington Target. At trying again at 100M two days ago,
my 3 shot group was 1-1/2 inches. I had to quit as would have been late for appointment. Our season is over and the stores still do not have enough brands in std velocities to try out. I keep going back and have the same which I have all ready tried. For now, happy at the other meter distances. Just might be me at the 100M. My scope is only a 14X which is still a far distance to see a dot which is the size of a dime. Anyway, will be back at it next season!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Don't even test at any distance under 100m. If you have a good barrel, any decent ammo (that throws out all but 1 US mfg.) should give you groups under 1 1/2 inches at 100m. If you think you have to but American, there is only Federal that needs to be looked at.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Jerry, I do competition shooting at 40, 66, 77, & 109yds. We have to make turret adjustments at those yardages for chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams for this sport. If I were hunting for small game, I would probably zero my scope at 50yds. Read my earlier posts and will get you up todate. Dee, I have my 39a at the gunsmith for trigger relief of 2.5#, plus some work on the ejector and firing pin. Also bore sight for my new 6.5-20 X 44 Simmons. Should be all set for additional trial for other mfg ammo.
Be next week and get it back. Our gunsmith belongs to our club and he shoots bench rest at 50 yds and trap. I don't like pistol silhouette as much but is fun and meet different people. It is getting cold here, so no more out door and go indoor January on paper at 50 feet.