Which youth starter rifle?

This is what we do.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Which youth starter rifle?

Post by Ken Green »

I would also recommend the CZ 452 Scout if you can find one. The scout will shoot as accurate as the CZ 452 American. Do not under estimate the Scout because it has a short barrel. It has all the accuracy that you will need for smallbore silhouette.

I would suggest starting a new shooter on the bench. You want them to hit the animals and knock them over. When they are able to knock the animals down, they will be having fun. You want them to come back.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The bench is always a good way to start them. I coached a Jr. Shooter at my club from the bench. It wasn't long before he actually told me he wanted to shoot standing (like all the adults)!!
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

ShootingStar wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:27 am I wonder about the Ruger American Rimfire.
Is it any good? It has some adjustment, but will it be short enough and have good enough trigger?

Just throwing one more idea out for someone with experience to chime in on!
Would not recommend the RAR, unless you have a way to replace the barrel. I have one and the ergonomics, stock adjustability, trigger pull, are all great. Accuracy is marginal - fine for plinking, but I can't get mine to shoot better than 5" groups at 100yd. By comparison, my CZ 455 groups around 1".
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

The way everyone praises the CZ it makes me want to sell off my current silhouette rifle and buy a CZ.
I better stop visiting this thread before I,did something I may regret.
Jim Mc
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Jim Mc »

DavidABQ wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:59 am The way everyone praises the CZ it makes me want to sell off my current silhouette rifle and buy a CZ.
:D Yep, even though I have two nice annies the first nice shootin used CZ-45? that is offered for sale I will most likely buy on the spot just to say "I Have one". I do have a 527 HHornet varmint and really like it.
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

DavidABQ wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:59 am The way everyone praises the CZ it makes me want to sell off my current silhouette rifle and buy a CZ.
Well... one thing that is not mentioned too often is that the CZ American stock is sized for a fairly petite adult. I've had to add some things to mine to get the LOP and cheek height better. Also, the stock trigger is not great, but it can be worked on. All in all it's a very good value, but don't trade your Anschutz for one!

On second thought, trade your Anschutz to me!
Jim Mc
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Jim Mc »

mychippy wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:48 pm
Well... one thing that is not mentioned too often is that the CZ American stock is sized for a fairly petite adult. I've had to add some things to mine to get the LOP and cheek height better. Also, the stock trigger is not great, but it can be worked on. All in all it's a very good value, but don't trade your Anschutz for one!

On second thought, trade your Anschutz to me!

That's very good info on the CZ American stock LOP being suited more for persons with shorter arm lengths. Whats the best fix for the trigger? The Annies are here to stay! But I do like to try out what others feel are "very good value".
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

When I got a 452 I put in the DIP adjustable sear. I'm pretty sure they have them for the 455 as well. Smooth, predictable, but single stage only.

Then there is the CZ "Mr. Fly" two-stage trigger, but it seems from others that it's tricky to get springs right to get the weight up to the 2 pound mark for Hunter rifle. There are some guys over on RFC that have fiddled with them so if you go that route do some research over there.
Allen Corneau
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

Jim Mc wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:15 am That's very good info on the CZ American stock LOP being suited more for persons with shorter arm lengths. Whats the best fix for the trigger? The Annies are here to stay! But I do like to try out what others feel are "very good value".
The YoDave kit worked well for me, it's a set of tubular shims and some different weight springs to try out. It takes some fiddling, but it only costs $20 or so. The only thing to watch out for is when you remove the pin that's been staked, be careful not to drill thru the trigger hanger! I got in a hurry and almost messed that up.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

The best solution I could decide upon to remedy the trigger on my CZ 455 American was to R&R the rifle with an Anschutz 1712.

It was a very effective fix to the trigger issue.
Jim Mc
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Jim Mc »

acorneau wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:54 am When I got a 452 I put in the DIP adjustable sear. I'm pretty sure they have them for the 455 as well. Smooth, predictable, but single stage only.
For a new young shooter I would think a single stage trigger @ 2lb's 2 oz. is the way to start out. Learning trigger control and follow through seems easier to understand and execute with a single stage to me. I also feel it's less likely they let one go before they are ready to break the shot. I shoot a single stage on my 1712 and a true two stage on my 50-18. Not the best to have both but I don't feel the single stage is holding me back any at this time, just my ability to hold better and break the shot at the right time. All that said I have never coached a young shooter at this game so I'm sure others have different thoughts about it.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

mychippy wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:48 pm
Lets see, I am 6 foot, 33" arm length, and added a slip-on 1" butt pad for proper LOP fit. It felt to long for me and did not improve my scores. I removed the pad and was back to being more comfortable.

My 8 year old granddaughter, started plinking from 2 mobile Sight-in Pick-Nik tables, with a Savage YOUTH at that time , off Sandbags. She required 3 cushions. The scope was a discontinued NIB Simons MAG44, target dot made in the Philippines. I still have the set-up and is one of several we use for out annual youth shoot.

An added note: I forgot who it was, but around 3 years ago, a Master shooter on this board, bought a Ruger American to test out. He claimed 29 our of 40, which is a nice AAA score. I see Savage has a nice selection these days too, which will get you to AAA. A less expensive rifle, will get you there as a good starter rifle in SB Silhouette. Same as the CZ American as listed as a good starter silhouette rifle.

We have one shooter that was his late 20's, 10 years ago, AAA, that would bring his pee shooter rifle, iron sights, and topple over turkeys. It was hilarious and we'd all laugh. Then got a girlfriend and married with now 2 children with oldest 4.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tomon »

A vote for the Remington 581. There are people around that can do wonders with the trigger, and stocks are around to cut down for smalleer shooters. The two aftermarket magazine makers take care of the only less than desirable part of that one! Mine carries a PFI RR evolution scope to eliminate adjustments between the different animals.
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hotrodrockets »

Ruger American Works for me. A youth would need to be close to full size adult.
10/22 works great. Short LOP stocks.
Hard to go wrong, not expensive.
Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The Savage Rascal is an excellent first gun. Inexpensive only $150 new and they shoot incredibly well.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member