6BR vs .243 Winchester

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 6BR vs .243 Winchester

Post by Merlin »

CoastDog I basically agree with every thing you said....

Especially the "Things (need to) change" statement....... Please excuse my liberties with the statement.

I'll just sit here feeling proud and satisfied and watch HP go away for the very reasons you state.... Recoil, difficulty, character of the game and keeping things the way they are.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Highpower silhouette is like bull riding.
If the rules are followed precisely, wimpy people will not be doing it or at least not doing it with the success they want.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Long time ago our club had a non member regularly shooting a 6 BR in monthly matches. He would ring some rams. I did not that was a problem, at his level more hits all 4 critters better than loosing the occasional ram & no doubt light recoil means more hits.

Problem was he was real nasty to our target setters over his ram knockdowns, blamed it on them. Setters were tipped & he never tipped. After a match put the range junker pick up away and found 3 C clamps in the bed.

With no direct experience and based on 243 barrel life stories I would pick the 6 BR. Could be wrong, worth investigating before you commit.

Boats
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

Going off a bit of a tangent here, but I went a different direction. I just finished building a .243. Barrel has a 1 in 7.8 twist so heavy bullets will not be a problem. I have 107 Sierra MK. 105 Lapua Scenar and am waiting for 108 Hornady ELDM's. I see load data in manuals with lots of slower powders which will work for Ram's. Does anyone have load info with faster powders for CPT loads? Ala Varget or something else in that range. Plan is to use the same bullet weight range. Just looking for lighter load, less powder etc.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

K Danz wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:32 pm Going off a bit of a tangent here, but I went a different direction. I just finished building a .243. Barrel has a 1 in 7.8 twist so heavy bullets will not be a problem. I have 107 Sierra MK. 105 Lapua Scenar and am waiting for 108 Hornady ELDM's. I see load data in manuals with lots of slower powders which will work for Ram's. Does anyone have load info with faster powders for CPT loads? Ala Varget or something else in that range. Plan is to use the same bullet weight range. Just looking for lighter load, less powder etc.
I used Hodgdon's 60% or so of max for H4895 reduced load suggestions in my 6.5 creedmoor using the 108 scenar. It was a really low recoiling load that had no issue with the c-p-t. If the Hodgdon data has H4895 listed as a powder for the 243, I think that you could use their reduced load guidelines.