legal stocks for hunter

This is what we do.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

legal stocks for hunter

Post by ter »

I would appreciate information on replacement stocks for the Anschutz 1712. Currently I have the McMillian stock, but I just can't get comfortable in it. Naturally I am looking at aftermarket stocks that are appropriate and legal for hunter class. Well, I contacted Mark Pharr, and he sent me information on the stock. They look really (super duper) nice to me. One thing that kinda has me concerned is Marks comment below:
"This has a high comb that is parallel with the top of the stock, if not bedded in at the right height it may or may not pass for the use as a standard (10lb2oz) class. It is not a problem for the hunt class, there is no height restrictions on the comb."
No height restriction scares me. Is this really true? It seems to me that "standard" was the custom class, and hunter was well defined. The scary part is someone changing the rules and comb limits after I invest my time and money into a new stock. To me it is easy to play by the rules, no rules and potential changing rules may cost me... The way it looks to me now is "hunter" is changing, and some don't like change. If there are no comb limits, I'm sure someone will like to place a limit. Am I off base on this? I saw a rifle dimension jig at Ridgeway for the Standard rifle, is there a jig for hunter class rifles? The only current hunter rules I know of are: 1 1/2 inch scope height, and no thumbhole. Any other rules, dimensions?
Thanks, Terry
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

Terry,

There is no jig for hunter class. it just has to look like a hunter rifle, have a tapered barrel, 2lb trigger, and rings no higher than 1.5". The hunter rules aren't changing. They are changed. Have been for at least 2 years? The real limit comes in if you want to shoot one rifle in both classes. Your rifle has to fit the jig for the standard rifle. The other limit is that the rifle has to look like a hunter. If one got silly and exaggeated the dimensions in any area to dramatically i'm sure it would not pass tech.

Mark's stocks are currently used by shooters across the country for both classes. I have an 1808 bedded in of his stocks that is legal for both classes as do a multitude of other shooters with the 1710/1712 actions. If you are concerned about the bedding, let Mark do it and you won't have problems. He does an incredible job. Not only do his rifles shoot extremely well they are absolutely gorgeous. To date i believe his stocks allow the highest degree of functional accuracy for a rifle in our game.
dave
Uncle Irv

Hunter Class

Post by Uncle Irv »

Dave,
I got out the old orange rule book, (it's 1999), and it bumps the .22
hunter rifle definition to 3.1.1 'High Power Hunting Sillhouette Rifle", which
reads in part ......"It is the intent of the Rule to describe a common hunting rifle that is built by major arms manufacturers and readily available to the general public over the counter. "
Restocking seems a bit much unless this has been changed.
Irv
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

Hi Irv,
Throw away your 1999 rules book. there are a number of threads speaking to this topic but basically the rules now state that a smallbore hunter rifle must weigh no more than 8.5lbs, have a 2lb trigger with a working safety, have a tapered barrel no longer than 26" and must LOOK like a hunter rifle. There is no more verbiage regarding major manufacturers or readily available. As long as it meets the requirements above and looks like a hunting rifle, anything goes.

From the current rule book

Post by Guest »

From the current rule book dated March, 2005

3.1.1 "A hunting style rifle..."

c. Stock: A hunting style stock;

e. Barrel: A hunting style contured barrel that tapers from chamber to muzzle.

Chicken

Walks like a duck.....
Uncle Irv

Hunting rifle

Post by Uncle Irv »

Veeeery interesting,
I happen to have, lying around:
A 1910 Mauser 98 Oberndorf action with Timney trigger,
(a project that got interrupted), a Redfield 6-18x scope,
(just too much of a bargain to pass up),
and a RamLine synthetic light thumbhole stock.
If the thumbhole is acceptable, I might start a new project.
All thats lacking is high mounts, (there even be might be some
lying around in the parts pile), a barrel and some fiddling
around in the basement.
What do they mean by "looks like a hunting rifle"?
Do you think the thumbhole stock would be a problem?
I've seen 'em` on walking varminters.
Irv

"When in the course of human events it becomes neccessary..."
- to actually DO something, it's a good time to be elsewhere.
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Irv,

The thumbhole is not allowed.
IIRC it was OK the first year or so after the rule change but at least one full-house Anschutz 1808 -- with no change other than a tapered bbl and heavy trigger springs -- was submitted to tech as a 'Hunter' and that got the troops stirred up.
So thumbholes were outlawed...
E Kuney
Uncle Irv

Post by Uncle Irv »

Rats!! - (Possiible new Tgt. -75 yds/M. or so?)

Probably should have posted that in high power,
guess the same would apply though.

Thanks ,
Irv

P.S. - Does give cause for thought though-
Would anyone be interested in a 'true hunter` category,
possibly mimicking field conditions,
* true 'box stock` rifles, (to let the average hunter in),
* targets 100-300 Yd.s - ranges not posted - rangefinders prohibited
(more closely approximates field shooting and would open up
more ranges where 300Yd. plus is unavailable),
* no sight adjustments permitted between targets,
(so you have to know & judge your trajectory, no compensating
reticules beyond Mil. Dot permitted)
* an 'Iron Sight` Class
I wonder how long it would last before 'specials` started to appear?
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

sounds like the Buckmaster competition...