Changing Zero

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

'm getting a headache
Blame Travelor........He asked someone to keep the thread going, and if there's one thing I know how to do its keep a dead thread going....

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

CNC Kitty, Of course you can keep a dead thread going, that is why you are CNC.
Bob259...headache? I didn't even start in the details of the waves lengths of radiation or how to measure them, and what the results are....oh yeah, take two asprin and call me in the morning.

Paul, just jerk the trigger, it works every time.

Unstable and still Innocent Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Why do you think that looking thru a scope is different than not using a scope?

There is on one single factor responsible for the change in impact of a bullet. Light, heat , humidity, wind, mirrage, just to name a few are to blame. And please don't forget that not all ranges face north. Is that magnetic or true north? It does make a difference.

Light on a target certainly does affect what you see and how you preceive it. I don't care if you are using a scope or open sights.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Changing Zeros

Post by Jim Beckley »

What about rotation of the earth? What about ranges that face grid north?
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Changing Zeros

Post by BlauBear »

Jim Beckley wrote:What about rotation of the earth? What about ranges that face grid north?
Shooting beneath a pyramid can control that variable. :wink:
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

You've got some pretty bad perception issues if the sun going around in the sky makes you think the ram's moved over.
Jerry G wrote:Light on a target certainly does affect what you see and how you preceive it. I don't care if you are using a scope or open sights.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Shorty, you are entitled to your opinions and I am entitled to mine. I believe that changing light changes what we see. It doesn't move the actual target.

I will drag a vice out to my range, clamp my rifle in it and watch a target as the sun moves across the sky just as soon as it quits raining here.
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

Enjoy.
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

_Shorty
A Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I've been shooting since Jan '07,
Jerry, it's hard to argue with someone that draws from such a vast well of experience.. :lol:

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Shorty,
How the brain percieves signals from the eyes is different with different people, I can personally list four examples of that within my own family.
Light and especially heat/humidity combination will cause the animals to be in places that they are not, maybe by only a fraction of an inch. But even that little amount can mean the difference between a hit and miss, or worse yet, a spun animal. Dry mirage is even another type of visual distortion and while it may seem minor, ususally the conditions that cause a visual distortion will also cause some changes in bullet flight patterns, and in many cases (especially with wood stocks) different barrel vibrations. Surely you are observant enough to know that some of those if not all will change the POI, and in many cases the POA.

Mary

_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

How long I've been shooting is irrelevant to the subject at hand, that being, light reflected off the animal going into your eye. "lol"
jneihouse wrote:Jerry, it's hard to argue with someone that draws from such a vast well of experience.. :lol:

Kitty
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

Heat, humidity, and any and all other things you can think of have absolutely nothing to do with light. Light is not a factor. It doesn't matter where in the sky the sun is, that animal is always in the same spot relative to you, and the light coming off of it and going into your eye is always at the same angle. The next day you're going to be home all day, sit your rifle outside in a rest/vise and point it at something. Go out there every hour and look through the scope. It's always going to be pointed at the exact same spot. How anyone could possibly think any other outcome would result is beyond me. Like I said, you go right ahead and adjust your scope to account for light. It'll only make you miss, and I don't care if you miss. Light does not affect trajectory, and only things that affect trajectory are going to cause differences in POI. Period.
Innocent wrote:Shorty,
How the brain percieves signals from the eyes is different with different people, I can personally list four examples of that within my own family.
Light and especially heat/humidity combination will cause the animals to be in places that they are not, maybe by only a fraction of an inch. But even that little amount can mean the difference between a hit and miss, or worse yet, a spun animal. Dry mirage is even another type of visual distortion and while it may seem minor, ususally the conditions that cause a visual distortion will also cause some changes in bullet flight patterns, and in many cases (especially with wood stocks) different barrel vibrations. Surely you are observant enough to know that some of those if not all will change the POI, and in many cases the POA.

Mary
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

I sometimes see animals in different places to, but I've attributed it to bad water :wink:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Bob259 wrote:I sometimes see animals in different places to, but I've attributed it to bad water :wink:
You might try Evelio's brand.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

fermented potatoes...works great.
Innocent