bolt failure

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

bolt failure

Post by psteiger »

Sorry to change the subject, but a friend of mine recently had an uncontained failure of his rifle. He did everything right. He was shooting a factory, unmodified Anschutz 1907, using Eley Edge ammo. The bolt was fully closed and locked. It was an aimed shot. He was shooting 3p. He was wearing glasses. The back of the bolt was blown off. The innards were distributed in his face and across the range. He seems to be fine. ANA got the pieces, repaired the rifle and sent the pieces off for analysis. I saw the pictures. It was spectacular. Had he not been wearing glasses he would be blind in both eyes. Do you wear glasses? I am not a safety Nazi. I only ever once asked a member here why he let his son shoot without glasses. He replied it was just an air rifle, and he looked at me like I was the dummy. Last time I ever said anything to anyone.

I had white corn chips tonite with really hot red salsa. It was good. Would it have been less spicy with blue chips?

now back to our regularly scheduled whining =))
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: bolt failure

Post by Sporty »

I'm glad he's okay. It wouldn't surprise me if they later found a squib.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

case head blew off. Barrel clean. He was shooting aimed shots. the previous shot was scored.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

No matter how long it takes please let us know what is found.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

psteiger wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:07 pm... He was shooting 3p. He was wearing glasses. The back of the bolt was blown off... Had he not been wearing glasses he would be blind in both eyes.
He said that he has/had his cheek rest well above the bore line and that most likely kept him from having parts imbedded in his face. Had that been his silhouette rifle with the cheek piece no higher than the bore line (per the rules) it would have been a much different result.

... Last time I ever said anything to anyone.
=)) :)) =)) :))
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Eley will say it was the rifle. Anschutz will say it was the cartridge.
If you work with Anschutz rifles very much at all you will see bolt housings with casting flaws and cracks, broken ejection stops, parts that are not heat treated properly or not heat treated at all and other manufacturing flaws right out of the box. For the high prices that Anschutz charges for its rifles, the bolt housings and trigger housings should be cnc machined out of billet not cast. The relief hole not being able to vent off the explosion tells us that the bolt housing probably had a serious casting flaw. Before we leave home for every match, we inspect our bolt housings for cracks and flaws. Pat and Allen, thanks for posting this. It is a good safety reminder.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

First, it's important to not shoot garbage Eley ammo and shoot LAPUA!

Second, that bolt should be able to handle a ruptured case. Anschutz needs to figure that out quick before some Eley shooter gets injured!

Dustin
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I saw pictures and know the guy. That bolt failed. There is no way a 22LR cartridge should be able to mechanically break a modern action.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

I don't know. I just welded the swinger back together at the range. There is a bit of force there. Makes me want to zyglo my bolts. Emmett, you ever done any of that?

Dustin, It was a dare and you called me on it. I will never dare you to post anything again. LOL. At least you didn't put Lapua rules Eley drools.....or the other thing.......
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

psteiger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:34 amDustin, It was a dare and you called me on it. I will never dare you to post anything again. LOL. At least you didn't put Lapua rules Eley drools.....or the other thing.......
I will have "Eley Sucks, Shoot LAPUA!" T-shirts available for sale at the next match.

Maybe we will do some green ones at the Shamrock match - .22LR bash-fest at an airgun match.

Dustin
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

psteiger wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:07 pm Sorry to change the subject, but I had white corn chips tonite with really hot red salsa. It was good. Would it have been less spicy with blue chips?

now back to our regularly scheduled whining =))
No, but it would have tasted richer with the blue corn chips.

I had chicken enchiladas this weekend with blue corn tortillas. They turn a good meal into an outstanding meal!
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

dustinflint wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:12 am First, it's important to not shoot garbage Eley ammo and shoot LAPUA!

Second, that bolt should be able to handle a ruptured case. Anschutz needs to figure that out quick before some Eley shooter gets injured!

Dustin
I was worried about my 1712 blowing up in my face but I shoot SK ammo so I should ok.

\m/
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:21 am Eley will say it was the rifle. Anschutz will say it was the cartridge.
If you work with Anschutz rifles very much at all you will see bolt housings with casting flaws and cracks, broken ejection stops, parts that are not heat treated properly or not heat treated at all and other manufacturing flaws right out of the box. For the high prices that Anschutz charges for its rifles, the bolt housings and trigger housings should be cnc machined out of billet not cast. The relief hole not being able to vent off the explosion tells us that the bolt housing probably had a serious casting flaw. Before we leave home for every match, we inspect our bolt housings for cracks and flaws. Pat and Allen, thanks for posting this. It is a good safety reminder.

What do you consider a bolt housing? No such official name in parts diagrams
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Zoran, just another name for the bolt body that "houses" the firing pin and spring assembly internally and the bolt handle/locking lug assembly externally.
Bobby H
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Has anybody reamed and installed a guide bushing in the firing pin channel in the bolt body to make firing pin travel more precise and prevent the firing pin channel from wearing out? The bolt body is just a cast part and that firing pin is travelling with great force. I think flexhone makes an abrasive ball hone small enough to put a crosshatch in that size bushing to aid in lubrication. Same principle as honing valve guides in an engine.