Where to find .22 BPCR matches?

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Where to find .22 BPCR matches?

Post by snaketail2 »

Before I invest in in a Winchester 1885 I'd like to know if I can find matches within a half-day drive of home. I'm in south Texas (near Corpus Christi) I have no issues driving to Houston, Austin or New Braunfels for Lever Action Silhouette matches. Who offer 22 BPCR in my driving range?

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Where to find .22 BPCR matches?

Post by hermit5 »

Does anyone know of 22 BPCR matches in PA,or near by states?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Here's a fairly current list of places to shoot 22bpcr
http://www.22bpcra.com/match-information/
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

DonM,thank you for that info.
Looks like nothing Close nearby.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Hermit, there are matches being added around the country all the time.
Maybe get a set of targets and start one at your home range? That's the nice thing about the 22pbcr, the furthest berm you need is 200 meters, or yards if the meters thing won't work.
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 40-65rl »

If I may add, the targets are not expensive and you can use your existing Rifle lever gun rails to set the targets, 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards or meters. That is what we did for the first couple of years until we built a separate set of rails for the 22 BPCR game. Just posted to the 22 BPCRA.com web site are the rules, although most of the requirements for equipment, etc. are in the NRA silhouette rules for Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette. The target templates are also listed. We started about seven years ago and now host the second largest 22 BPCR competition in the US. This game is like a snowball rolling downhill.
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 40-65rl »

Here are the 22 BPCRA rules that are used with the NRA Rules for BPCR Silhouette.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Thanks to all for info.
I made up a set of swingers just to get started.
Since none of our Lever action shooters have a BPCR type rifle we experimented today on the Ram to see if it was possible to use our 39A with FPTK Williams and have enough elevation/ Nope,about 20 feet short.Maybe with a shorter front post.
2 1885 in 22 are on order at local gun shop,90 day wait.After today’s experiment,we are wondering what rear sight would be most useful, the Mid range or Long range?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

A long range on an 85 .22 is sorta ridiculous. Ditto on a MARLIN 39a. I use MVA 130 schuetzen soules on mine to reach far beyond 200m
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Sorry for being ridiculous,we are new at this.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Didn't say you were. But the sight would be on either of those rifles.

My apologies.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

MVA or Baldwin Schuetzen sights work very well for the 22 bpcr distance.
Baja_Traveler
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Baja_Traveler »

MVA Schützen sights are not the cheapest sights but they are extremely high quality and awesome to use. So easy to return to exact sight settings for every distance - over the years I've upgraded all my lever silhouette rifles with them.
SSShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by SSShooter »

hermit5 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:36 pm DonM,thank you for that info.
Looks like nothing Close nearby.
We shoot a 'modified' .22BPCR match at Quinton Sportsmen's in Quinton, NJ the 1st Sunday of each month, Feb - Dec. And, you're in luck.......... the next match is tomorrow.
The match is modified in that it is an "any safe rifle/any sights" match shot from "bench sticks". There are generally 5-10 of us who shoot single-shot rifles that conform to the .22BPCRA rules if one wishes to shoot for a certified .22BPCRA score for their book. One of the .22BPCRA board members, who lives in northern NJ, shoots the match most months. There is also a prairie dog (think narrow) that has been added at 75m to give us more animals to shoot at. It is shot at any "unsupported" (think elbows) position and those skinny 'dogs are easy to miss with any wobble. With 12 of each animal, it is a 60-shot match. Think the range record is 54.
The Ashland, KY match would the next one to look at. We shot a 60-shot match there this past weekend. Google "Kentucky BPCR" for their website. Think KY may be my favorite range for BPCR. Has a 'challenging' layout.
Ridgway, PA has everything needed to shoot a certified .22BPCRA match except a match director. Would/could that be you? The national HP & smallbore silhouette matches are held there every other year.
Last edited by SSShooter on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SSShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by SSShooter »

hermit5 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:36 pmLooks like nothing Close nearby.
Just found another .22BPCR match that may be closer to you in NW PA. That would be the Clairton Sportmen's Club, which is about 12mi south of Pittsburgh. Seems .22BPCR is getting more popular out this way, which is great.