SK Flatnose ammo

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Kujones
B Poster
B Poster

SK Flatnose ammo

Post by Kujones »

Has anyone shot the SK Flatnose ammo?
Kujones
B Poster
B Poster

Re: SK Flatnose ammo

Post by Kujones »

I guess not.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Don't give up yet!
I think they are a myth anyway. Sort of the Bigfoot of .22 ammo - elusive and strange.
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Sk flatnose match due on retailer's shelves 5/31/18.
Sk flatnose basic due on retailer's shelves 6/1/18.

Interesting that Eley puts the flatnose on the highest priced two ammo types in their product line but Sk-jagd puts their flatnose on the two cheapest ammo types in their product line. Does anybody in the silhouette world know why?
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

I do not know, but am willing to speculate. By offering the new bullet profile at a low price, more shooters are apt to try it. And if the new bullet proves itself as highly accurate, then demand increases and the company can raise the price and make a good profit on the back end.

It's sort of like a crack dealer offering cheap samples. Gets 'em addicted and then the customer can't stop!
Mark
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Cathy @ Goodshooting inc has the flatnose basic in stock...

https://www.goodshootinginc.com/index.p ... uctID=1175
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Emietenkorte wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:49 pm Cathy @ Goodshooting inc has the flatnose basic in stock...

https://www.goodshootinginc.com/index.p ... uctID=1175
That's priced better than I would have expected. I put in an order for a brick. We'll see how it does.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Well yesterday Goodshooting had 56 boxes... less than 24 hours later they're out of stock...
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Emietenkorte wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 am Well yesterday Goodshooting had 56 boxes... less than 24 hours later they're out of stock...
I got a UPS tracking number in a matter of minutes after my order was placed. I'm guessing I got one of the last bricks.

I'm curious to see how it performs compared to the Eley EPS bullet. My Stiller shoots the variants of Eley fine (better than MOA), but nothing like it does the round nosed Lapua/Sk options. I halfway expect that Std + will yield better results for me, but we'll see.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Doodaddy wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:42 pm
Emietenkorte wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 am Well yesterday Goodshooting had 56 boxes... less than 24 hours later they're out of stock...
I got a UPS tracking number in a matter of minutes after my order was placed. I'm guessing I got one of the last bricks.

I'm curious to see how it performs compared to the Eley EPS bullet. My Stiller shoots the variants of Eley fine (better than MOA), but nothing like it does the round nosed Lapua/Sk options. I halfway expect that Std + will yield better results for me, but we'll see.
Got the brick last night and took some quick cell phone shots. I don't know why I was surprised by how flat the bullet was considering that's what they named it. =))

Kujones
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Kujones »

I have a brick ordered; should arrive tomorrow
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I shot most of a box of Flat Nose at the range today. The only surprise was the minor elevation adjustment needed at 75 yards and again at 100 yards.
Lever action Henry rifle with Williams receiver sight. 1/2 turn up from "zero" @ 75 yards and 1 revolution more @ 100 yards. I'm used to more elevation.

The SK web site says it is 50 meter ammo - but it will go further. Accuracy was equal to Wolf Match Extra - perhaps better with a scope.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

snaketail2 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:58 pm I shot most of a box of Flat Nose at the range today. The only surprise was the minor elevation adjustment needed at 75 yards and again at 100 yards.
Lever action Henry rifle with Williams receiver sight. 1/2 turn up from "zero" @ 75 yards and 1 revolution more @ 100 yards. I'm used to more elevation.

The SK web site says it is 50 meter ammo - but it will go further. Accuracy was equal to Wolf Match Extra - perhaps better with a scope.

Michael
I was curious about the needed elevation changes at longer distances based on their "improved ballistic properties" statement. Interesting.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

That could be a good thing if you don't have to use as much elevation.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

snaketail2 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:58 pm I shot most of a box of Flat Nose at the range today. The only surprise was the minor elevation adjustment needed at 75 yards and again at 100 yards.

Michael
I'm curious about the rim thickness on the SK flatnose since you found it impacting higher than expected. What were you comparing it to?

It may be a spurious correlation but I've noticed with a single 10-shot test as rim thickness decreases the 100 yard impact elevation increases. I've only tested that out once at 0.0005" increments of bulk CMP Eley Standard that had rim thickness variance from 0.0375" to 0.0395". The rifle was a CZ 455 American with a 25X scope.

-Charlie Meli
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC