2018 Shamrock Silhouette Shootout - St. Patrick's Day Weekend

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

2018 Shamrock Silhouette Shootout - St. Patrick's Day Weekend

Post by dustinflint »

March 17-18 in Baton Rouge, LA. %%- %%- %%- %%- %%- %%- %%-

Since the NRA has nixed the Air Rifle Silhouette National Championships, we are introducing the Shamrock Silhouette Shootout Air Rifle Silhouette Championship. Please come to Baton Rouge and join us on St. Patrick's Day weekend. The Program and entry form is attached.

Two notes:

First, this will be the first-ever championship match to include Field Target Silhouette (please see the attached match program). Please spread this around to your field target shooting friends.

Second, if you don't have three airguns, or just want to shoot one or two, bring your rifle and shoot! You can shoot a registered Open, Target or Sporter match in the Target and/or Sporter matches. Your score will not count in the match results but you can still set a national record and go for long-run records. So you can bring one rifle and shoot all weekend!

Please post any questions here and we will see you in March!

Dustin

P.S. Sorry this match is being announced late. We've been pushing the NRA to allow the national championships and recently got the final decision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 2018 Shamrock Silhouette Shootout - St. Patrick's Day Weekend

Post by acorneau »

Dustin, this looks like it will be a lot of fun and I'll definitely be there.

While I'm saddened that the NRA refuses to hold a national championship for an NRA-sanctioned silhouette discipline this looks like it will be a great replacement.

Do you know of a good resource to find the Field Target equipment rules? This part of the match sounds intriguing but the thought of shooting both concurrently (360 shots over the two days) sounds absolutely daunting. Probably should have some kind of "Iron Man" type of recognition for anyone that goes whole-hog on that one.

See you in a month!
Allen Corneau
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Allen,

Hopefully the nationals will come back. It's a participation thing. Unfortunately air rifle silhouette is the most niche of the silhouette disciplines and it's hard to get a lot of participation (plus no one can get on an airplane with three air rifles plus other gear). I don't think it will ever get much better with the current rules but we will see. We are working on new ideas.

One of those new ideas is FT silhouette. Try here for FT rules: http://www.aafta.org/

Any of your rifles will be legal but don't try to do the FT silhouette. This is not for silhouette shooters to have yet another match; it's for FT shooters to join in to silhouette. It wont appeal to you.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

We just confirmed with the Air Pistol match director at the club that there will be an air pistol silhouette match on Saturday at the 2018 Shamrock Silhouette Shootout! The match will be Saturday for cash prizes. No pistol match on Sunday.

This will be a fun match (not NRA sanctioned) because we will run in in conjunction with the rifle matches using the same commands. That makes the time sequence slightly different (15-second ready period instead of the air pistol specific 30-second ready period - shooters will still have 2.5 minutes to take 5 shots as per normal rules).

Rifle and field target silhouette shooters will easily be able to participate in air pistol as well by shooting pistol on a different relay from rifle. For example, a shooter will shoot 15 rifle shots on relay 1 then shoot 15 pistol shots on relay 3.

The entry fee for the pistol match is $10/gun and all sights are allowed (iron, scope, red dot). Shooters will compete against other shooters with the same sights with no minimum number of shooters required to create a class. Each pistol entry will be shot on a different relay. So technically a REALLY crazy shooter could shoot as many as 5 matches at a time (rifle silhouette on relay one, field target silhouette on relay two, iron sight pistol on relay three, scoped pistol on relay four and red dot pistol on relay five)!

If you're mailing in an entry form and you'd like to enter the air pistol match with your entry form, just include $10 per pistol and note it on the entry form.

Please post here or contact me with any questions.

Dustin
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

dustinflint wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:57 am... So technically a REALLY crazy shooter could shoot as many as 5 matches at a time (rifle silhouette on relay one, field target silhouette on relay two, iron sight pistol on relay three, scoped pistol on relay four and red dot pistol on relay five)!
If they dual-wield two pistols they could do eight!

:))
Allen Corneau
chardonnay
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chardonnay »

I will get my entry out asap
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Dustin Flint for President! \m/
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Reminder that the Shamrock Shootout is in two weeks! If you enjoy air rifle silhouette and want to see it continue come shoot! The sport desperately needs participation at the championship matches!

Hope to see you there.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I received two interesting questions about the Field Target Silhouette game at the Shamrock Silhouette Shootout. Here are the answers:

The first question was whether a three-position shooter could put a scope on her air rifle and shoot with full shooting coat and pants. The answer is YES, have at it.

The second question was whether I would create a similar game for BPCR shooters.

The answer specifically for the Shamrock match is that any person who shoots a 10m Olympic rifle with either the Olympic iron sights or a BPCR approved scope may enter the Field Target Silhouette match and shoot the chickens standing and the pigs, turkeys and Rams on shooting sticks. The rifle has to meet the rules for a Target silhouette Rifle.

The specific question was what I think would be a good BPCR Silhouette air rifle adaptation. Here is what I replied (this is a little different from what will be allowed at the Shamrock match because of target setting distance but this is something I think would be interesting for the BPCR folks to try):

Olympic 10m rifles only. Olympic iron sights or any scope /iron sight that is legal for BPCR. Chickens shot standing. Pigs, turkeys and rams shot off of sticks like regular BPCR. 1/10 scale air rifle targets set at 20 meters, 30 meters, 38 meters and 50 meters.

That should be just about impossible! Please let me know how it goes if anyone ever tries it.

Dustin
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Big thanks to Dustin and the rest of the Louisiana crew who helped to make this another great match. If you weren't there you missed out. The three-way shoot-off for Sporter champ was extra exciting with Dustin Flint and Bill Motl going to three banks of Turkeys to determine the winner.

The inclusion of the Field Target and Pistol folks was a great idea and it was nice having a little bit of a mix on the line. Those that shot in two or three relays to shoot multiple disciplines deserve an extra pat on the back.

I'm looking forward to seeing this match grow next year.
Allen Corneau
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Thanks Allen and everyone who attended. The match was a lot of fun and we look forward to doing it again next year.

Results are below:
2018 Shamrock Silhouette Shootout Scorebook.jpg
Dustin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I noticed a slight mistake in the results: In the Open Air Rifle result Bill Motl's 1st Master is not listed.

Dustin
Deau-we
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Deau-we »

Thanks to Dustin, and all his hard work, the inaugural Shamrock Silhouette Shootout was by all means a success. The match ran smoothly, and Jerry Tureau's jambalaya was very good. Even Bill Motl said so. I had a great time even though I didn't shoot as well as I hoped to. If you didn't make it this year, put it on your calendar for next year, you won't regret it.
Dewey
chardonnay
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chardonnay »

Thanks to Dustin and those who helped to make this a great match. If you didn’t make it you missed good food, a good time and great socializing with good people. Hope to see you guys at the Louisiana state silhouette match.