SK Standard Plus

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

SK Standard Plus

Post by GTKF »

Just opened a case of SK (lot #223 47S2 368 1) that I bought last fall. I've always found it to be very consistent in both my 1712 and 54, with very little lot to lot (7 diff lots/cases) variation.

Shooting the first 2 boxes, in the 54, to check POI (mostly off the bench) I've noticed 5 rounds dropped 6-8" at 100 yds. None of those rounds sounded any different than the others. Just a bad lot or could something else be going on?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: SK Standard Plus

Post by atomicbrh »

I just opened a case of SK also. Cannot get to the lot number right now. It is not grouping good enough that I can shoot a local Match with it. Grouping 1 and 1/2 inches at the 100 meters with fliers worse than that. I missed a Pig at a monthly Match this past Saturday and I feel it was the ammo. I had a good center hold on that Pig and the bullet skimmed off the center of the foot between the legs and did not even shake the Pig. Rams were impossible with it. This is also the first case of SK that did not group well enough for me to shoot monthly matches. I am thankful to have it though because I can at least practice at the 40 meters but it will shoot two different groups even at the 40 meters. I questioned my bench technique when testing this ammo, switched to a different lot number and groups went back to what is normal at 100 meters. So, it was not me or the rifle but the ammo.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

GTKF.....I posted about a similar problem some time back.

Dang rimfire ammo...
Postby Bob Mc Alice on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:00 am

I had a problem with some ammo two weeks ago In Missoula. While shooting a bank of rams I had three out of 10 shots fall 8 to 10 inches low. They were good breaks in the animal, but the slugs were falling into the grass and gravel. I lost one in the first five, then two in the second set. CRAP !! I was shooting good for a change and losing animals to bad ammo hurt. I posted a 34, not bad. It could have been a 37 though.

The report was weak compared to the rest and I could easily track the bullet to the ground thru the Leupold. I may have also lost one turkey to an unexplained low miss.

I went back to the truck to get ammo from a different lot number brick. The ammo I was using is SK Standard Plus. Never had any trouble with this stuff before and no issues during pre match practice. The suspect lot number is 07742- 11234. I am not much of a small bore fanatic and use mixed lots of the SK either purchasing a few bricks once and a while or just using SK won as awards at our local club matches. This one box was one I got as an award ! I have four boxes of 50 of the suspect lot and will fire them for practice only. Anyone had any similar misfortune with this or any other ammo ?
Jm22
Unclassified Poster

Post by Jm22 »

Myself and some of the guys I shoot with are having the same experiences with SK Standard Plus and it's random fliers.
I do believe that in the last few years the quality and consistency of the SK + has went downhill, I remember when we first started shooting the stuff 3-4 years ago it was a lot better than it is now. Maybe it's a marketing thing to entice the consumer to pay an extra $100 a case for the SK Rifle Match
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

At over $500 a case now they damn sure better not be losing quality!! I've been fortunate I guess as I have never gotten a lot that wouldn't shoot. At $500 a case if it was bad I would be returning it for another lot. No reason to accept those prices and that level of quality. If I paid $500 for any product that wasn't right I would be returning it. Damn sure would with ammo that is way overpriced to begin with! I certainly wouldn't bother using it. If your ammo is guaranteeing you 5+ misses before you even start a match that is unacceptable. It doesn't matter how good a shooter you are if you ammo drops 6" from time to time you miss.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I realize this is an old thread but thought you guys might benefit from my experience with SK.

I found a similar pattern of erratic behavior with two different cases of Std Plus over the last year. It seems to be worse in hot weather too, so don't leave it out in the car during a match! However, I have found that sorting by rim thickness restores the majority of the performance that SK use to have. Sorting by weight has not helped me very much, but there is a definite improvement when sorting for rim thickness. The gauge I use is made by Neil Jones, I think it is sold by Champions Choice.

Hope this helps,

Rex
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

I read this a while back and never gave it a second thought until recently. I had a similar experience will doing some group testing on some rifles. The SK Std+ ammo I have is a few years old and may be from the same lot. It seemed like every so often I would have a low power round that would drop 2-3 inches low at 100 yards. It wasn't as noticeable at 50.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

I had a couple of rounds drop low while shooting groups with SK Rifle match. 2-3 inches at 100 yards. It seemed to be around 1-2 for every 50 rounds. So I decided I would weigh each round on a powder scale just to see if there were any variations. Sure enough, out of 2 boxes I weighed, 3 rounds came up about three tenths of a grain under weight. Next time I go to the range I will see if these three rounds shoot low.