cast boolits for high power rifle silhouette

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

cast boolits for high power rifle silhouette

Post by curmudgeon »

I'm interested in hearing about experiences/observations/stories/legends/fantasies involving cast boolits successfully being used for high power silhouette.

A friend successfully shoots 7mm-08 at a local, reduced distance, range. Any other cast shooters online?

Thanks,
-Steve
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: cast boolits for high power rifle silhouette

Post by Jerry G »

Gotta be either reduced range or a very big caliber bullet. The charcoal burning crowd shoot cast bullets all the time at normal ranges but they have real big guns and shoot from their belly. I'm guessing if you used the HP pistol ranges (rams at 200) you could get in some good practice with a 30 cal at velocities under 1,200 fps. Much faster than that, you will start to have leading problems in your barrel.
JIM PENDLETON
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JIM PENDLETON »

I shoot High Power Silhouette using cast bullets. I have been shooting at Ridgway PA for 30 years. I have used a Parker-Hale in 30-06, Remington 700 in 308 Win and a Remington 788 in 30-30. This year I am building a 300 Whisper on a 700 action. Every June there is a cast bullet only match at Ridgway. The standard load is a RCBS-180-SP (180gr) at 2000FPS for the Rams. That load produces 433FT/lbs. energy at 500M. The load that I have been using is the Lyman 311299 bullet at 1750FPS. That is a 200gr bullet. I either use heat treated wheel weights or linotype. I use LBT blue lube. I have used that lube to drive a bullet at 2300FPS without leading. One time I put 250 rounds thru my gun without cleaning and the groups did not open up. I do not have much experience using a 7mm. Most of my loads shoot around 1.5" at 100M. I have no problem hitting a clay target at 500M from the bench. I do not ring a Ram very often with this load. I hope this helps.

JIM PENDLETON
MARKDALE ONT.
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

Jim Pendleton- What barrel twist rate are you going to use for the .300 Whisper? Also, any custom bore diameters? Great information!
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if folks were using something larger than .30 cal?

I have a NOE 316-202-RN ordered (NOE's interpretation of a 316299) for my Long Branch No.4; it sounds like it will do the job if I can get an accurate load in the 1,800 fps range.

Currently, I'm working on loads for LBT 316-160-LFN, also using LBT soft blue.

-Steve
JIM PENDLETON
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JIM PENDLETON »

The gun is at the gunsmith right now getting the barrel put on. Because of the US export restrictions a $200 barrel in the US costs $500 to $600 in Canada it is cheaper to have a custom barrel made. I got a Bob Jury of Red Deer Alberta barrel. It is a stainless steel barrel 24" long with a Tikka #3 taper with a .625" muzzle. It has a 1 in 9 twist. We are using a Pacific Tool and Die reamer.

JIM PENDLETON
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

How welll would a Gibbs .505 with cast bullets work on the rams?
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

DavidABQ wrote:How welll would a Gibbs .505 with cast bullets work on the rams?
yikes! that's almost 7 lbs of lead and 1.6 lbs of powder for a couple 40 shot matches

I'd need a Sherpa to carry my gear bag
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

curmudgeon wrote:
DavidABQ wrote:How welll would a Gibbs .505 with cast bullets work on the rams?
yikes! that's almost 7 lbs of lead and 1.6 lbs of powder for a couple 40 shot matches

I'd need a Sherpa to carry my gear bag
You could always think of it as a way to exercise?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I must apologize for my previous comments. I was informed that they were insensitive and implied you needed to exercise.

You could always use an electric golf cart to get around the range and carry the Gibbs .505 ammo instead. I suspect the momentum carried by that bore size would be enough to knock down those pesky rams.
caseyboy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by caseyboy »

I am that "friend" referred to in the first post. The reduced range is 200yds, 240yds, 280yds and 310yds with the animals scaled down appropriately for the distances. I shoot cast at these distances very successfully. For C,P, T I use a gas checked 130 grain bullet (Lee) with a muzzle velocity of 1950fps. For the rams (which are about 28 pounds), I use the RCBS 145 grain silhouette bullet at 1850fps. Recoil is mild at these velocities. My powder of choice is SR4759 which sadly has been discontinued. Fortunately I have about 6 pounds left and will last a bit as I can get about 400 rounds to the pound. The bullets are all cast by myself and are of wheel weights with a sweetening of pewter for the high tin content. The rifle I shoot is a Rem700 in 7mm-08 with the standard factory twist.
Cheers caseyboy.