F-class setup questions

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Sam373
Unclassified Poster

F-class setup questions

Post by Sam373 »

Evening sirs. gettting involved in f-class and want to run a few things by yall to get your input on my first build. im at a loss of a few things even after weeks of research so ill get to the main setup im going for and the questions about it.

Chassis- AICS or Eliseo RTM tactical model
Barrel- Schneider 6.5x284 unknown twist yet
Trigger- Jewel at 2.5lbs
Action- defiance or simple 700 rem.
Optics-Nightforce NXS not sure which model yet.
Caliber- 6.5x284 due to the velocity/accuracy

my questions are
1. any reviews over the chassis systems in regards to issues with the caliber ill be firing?
2. im not knowledged on how the twist ratio impacts results, i hear alot use 1:8 and 5R for the grooves. does steel material make that much of a differnce? also what barrel size would be appropriate for 600-1200yrds
3. any reviews on the defiance actions or would it be better to save the money with a 700 rem. and use the other money towards a reloading system

i appreciate anyone who responds. i appologize for my lack of knowledge but i cant move forward to order parts at this point without knowning if what im buying is functional/accurate

-Sam
danthebulldog
B Poster
B Poster

Re: F-class setup questions

Post by danthebulldog »

What's up Sam, I am not a F-class shooter but the6.5x284 is a great round but a barrel burner. If you like the 6.5 cals look into the 260 rem,6.5 creedmore 6.5 br are great as well. Good luck with your built and shoot straight :D
Sam373
Unclassified Poster

Post by Sam373 »

Thanks for the reply Danny, I'm the same guy that we made a list of parts for at your work that you told me to come on here. I'll definitely look into those calibers for the longer barrel life definitely then upgrade later!
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Sam, not that there aren't some very knowledgeable shooters here and people with experience with the 6.5x284 but I'm wondering since it's your first post on the forum if maybe you got the wrong site. Virtually nobody is shooting a 6.5x284 in metallic silhouette. You'd get a lot more info over on accurateshooter.com

The RTM chassis will work great. You'll need a front rest adapter to mount to the round tube forend (unless you're planning on using a bipod). I just built up a RTS model for F-class and precision rifle.

Sam373
Unclassified Poster

Post by Sam373 »

Thank you sir, I will look into that website but for a mix of both for mettalic silhouettes your saying it would not be enough power ? My main class for the rifle will be F, but I'd like to have some fun as well with the silhouettes. Any caliber you recommend for a middle ground? Beautiful rifle BTW. How's she shootin?
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

6.5x284 isn't used in metallic silhouette because it's actually quite a bit more velocity than necessary. A great cartridge for both f-class and silhouette would be the 6.5 Creedmoor. You could try loading the 6.5x284 down to reduce velocity and recoil. The RTS/RTM chassis isn't technically legal for silhouette though. Local match directors might not have an issue with you playing but it's up to them to make that call.

Mine is shooting really well. Here is a little load testing.

Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

My 6.5x47 - 142 gr is still supersonic out to 1350 meters so the 1000 yd f class should be no problem. I would lean toward the 260 because of the large primers. the Lapua takes small primers and I have gone to the magnum primers to get the powder burning.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

If I was going to hop into F class (and I've thought about it quite a bit) I'd be hard pressed to not go the Defiance action route. 6XC would be my cartridge of choice. Less pounding on the shoulder and pretty good availability of components. 1-8 twist barrel and Berger vld pills.

Here's a link to where you can get brass.
http://www.davidtubb.com/xc-brass-norma

The cartridge is a 22-250 ackley imp opened up to 6mm. For punching paper at long distances I don't think you could go wrong here. I'm with you on the Jewell trigger. I have 2 on both of my silhouette guns (std and hunter).

Good luck!
Res ipsa loquitur
Sam373
Unclassified Poster

Post by Sam373 »

I appreciate all of yalls responses and all have added a good standpoint of where I'll take my build. Last question is just barrel size, from 26"-29" any past experiences or best outcomes with a certain size? Thanks! And have a happy paddy's day
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

There is quite a bit of f-class shot down here. 6.5x284 was very populate but barrel life before it needed to be set back was somewhere between 500-1000 rounds. The more populate cart right now is a 284 shooting a berger bullet. The real question is what class do you want to shoot?

If you want to shoot tactical rifle (TR) then you must shoot a 223 or 308, no front rest (bipod) and the rifle, scope and rest must be less than 17 pounds (as I recall).

If you want to shoot open the the rifle must weigh less than 22 (I believe) pounds and the only cart restriction is less than 35 cal.

I have seen very good score shot with 6mm, and there are lots and lots of posts on which is best. 6mm-260, 6 br, 6bri, 6xc, etc. They all seem to be about the same but there are many which will argue one way or the other. My 6mm-250 can easily shoot a 107 at 3000.
DennisC
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DennisC »

At our monthly 600 prone matches the 6BR is hard to beat...
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Trent wrote:Sam, not that there aren't some very knowledgeable shooters here and people with experience with the 6.5x284 but I'm wondering since it's your first post on the forum if maybe you got the wrong site. Virtually nobody is shooting a 6.5x284 in metallic silhouette. You'd get a lot more info over on accurateshooter.com

The RTM chassis will work great. You'll need a front rest adapter to mount to the round tube forend (unless you're planning on using a bipod). I just built up a RTS model for F-class and precision rifle.

You've come a long way since the 597 days Trent, did I miss it, what's the caliber on your new rig?
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Yeah, I guess I have come a long ways since getting into silhouette. I was perfectly content to play with rimfires and then you jerks just had to "help me" get into high power silhouette. Rimfire silhouette is a gateway drug... HP silo is the crack cocaine that leads you into the dark world of all things centerfire. Now I am stuck with a really expensive habit. Thanks??

It is a 6mm-OMC. It's a little wildcat that some "across the course" guys were working on before the 6xc was developed. It is just a .243win shortened by 0.250".

kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Trent, your welcome!!! Those little 6's are pretty impressive, I'm somewhat converted as well.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Kevin, if you think this is expensive, just wait until you have two sons that think your high power silhouette rifles look like dandy deer rifles.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis