reject bullets

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: reject bullets

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:. I never had a bad box, all go where you point them.
Over the animals back and into the dirt?!? :((
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
DennisC
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DennisC »

That's better than kicking up mud 20yds in front of em....
Load up some 'premium' bullets in that 7 Bob...you're cutting these 6.5 shooters way too much slack
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Hey Dennis, my four premium match rifles get premium match bullets. It's the other dozen play and practice guns that get fed the cheap stuff. Cheap, but still very accurate bullets for practice. :)
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I shot some of the reject Sierra's in my 6x47 on Saturday and they were horribly inaccurate, going to load some regular first runs and try them next weekend.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I use Sierra rejects. In a 600 yard bench rest match with my silhouette rifle (not made to ride bags like a bench gun) I shot a 2,8 inch 5 shot group at 600. There was no significant difference with box bullets. When I sorted the rejects there was only a 10% variance from sorted box bullets....Considering that one can't hold off hand like off the bench rejects are just fine for our game as far as I'm concerned. I will admit I sort the rejects for turkeys and rams
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I have little experience with the seconds, I hear people like you and Guru who think there great with no practical difference between them and first runs, other folks have had terrible luck with them, I assume both are correct, they end up in the reject bin for a variety of reasons. Someone once told me that the first few thousand from new dies automatically are rejected, ones that have nothing wrong with them. I have seen many however that have all kinds of visible flaws, I would assume that some that look fine are undersize, have cores out of spec or hundred other non-visible flaws.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

According to Sierra when a bummer shows on the line the ten in front and the ten that follow are dumped in the seconds bin. The spec for match kings is + or - .3 grain (.6 for Game Kings)...so the seconds vary beyond the spec to some degree....but if one sorts and batches his loading he will have consistency, So one would load all .3s, then all.4s etc...he has uniformity. But if you are mixing .3s .4s and .5s...you don't have good luck with seconds. If you sort box bullets you will find variations just not as much or many as seconds. If you sort seconds things work out and they're cheaper......if you sort box bullets things get really good :D I'm sure that there are rejects at the beginning of runs, at die changes etc. BTW...the hunting bullets are slightly smaller (about .0005) because of the thicker jackets and the bearing surface is different