reject bullets

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

reject bullets

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I got another email asking about the reject bullets I post about here. I told him to look here for the reply.

This game ain't cheap and cheap bullets help stretch the shooting dollars. I get them from both Hornady and Sierra. I have sent thousands down range and really have nothing but great results with them all. For offhand practice they can not be beat. The main issue with buying them is you must go to the factory stores, they will not ship. :cry: Hornady is located close to I-80 and gets hit both ways with shopping traffic. Best to call ahead to check what may be in stock. Their inventory is low compared to Sierra.

The Sierra store is packed with 30 gallon steel drums with varying amounts of all they make. You buy them by the pound. Hornadys are boxed by the 100 count and are a little cheaper than Sierra. The formula that Sierra uses for pound price works out to about one half off of retail pricing per 100. Bullet quantities vary by weight, see the list. You can download the reject price list off their website. We hit them every year on the way to the best ever HP regional in the country. Or, we hook up with a buddy passing through the area and treat him nice. :ymhug:

Below are all I could find that I would call rejects from a box of 500 Sierra 140gr. pro hunter bullets. Some have worms on the tip, slightly deformed points, white oxide on the tips, water spots, even hollow jackets with no core. The vast majority just have a darker color and other wise look normal.

Trust me, they shoot fantastic.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/about-us/factory-outlet/

Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: reject bullets

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I got another 50 pounds (2500 approx) of those 140gr. 7mm reject bullets last week. I dumped a 25 lb. box out for a look see. Got a mixed bag of defects in this batch, but many perfectly usable bullets. A bunch of un cannelured 150 gr. 30-30, hollow jackets, worms, etc. Pick off the bad stuff and shoot them up. Must have been close to the bottom of the barrel, got a lot of lead scrap pieces. Hard to beat the price for general practice and plinking.

Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Wowzers. Just checked the Sierra price list and my jaw dropped. If only they weren't so darn far away.
Res ipsa loquitur
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I brought an extra practice 700 with me to St.Louis and fired 75 of these Friday afternoon. I would have felt comfortable firing for score with them, they are that accurate. I will fire more practicing at Lander this weekend.

Mark, they are not too far away. You are. :D
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Post by yankee »

Those things have worked for me for years. You are letting the secret out. Take the lead and some fishing weights and heat them up then pour into the Hollow point jackets. Shoot them at bad critters and it sounds like you hit them with a 2x4 whap
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Save 10 of the ones without cores for me Bob, I want to see how fast they clock over the chronograph, I'm thinking 26 grains of 4759, the speeds could be incredible. They will probably start to tumble right away so a few test shots might be a good idea in order to save my chronograph, regardless it will be interesting.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

OK, will do. Empty weight is 41.0 grs. each. Think of all the crap you could stuff them with! :idea:
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Like Cheese?!? :o)
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Just got done loading a mess of plinking / practice ammo, 262 rds. I usually toss my old brass that is getting up there in firings into a bag. When I get enough I load them up for cheap fun ammo. More than half of it has mixed head stamps from Fed, Hornady, Speer, PMC, RWS, Prvi and others. The rest is WW and RP 7-08. Half of it originally was a mix of .308...243...7x57...260 and even a handful of .338 Federal that was on the ground, all reformed to the fine 7-08 Remington cartridge. 8)

The chosen load is 41.0 grs. IMR 4320 behind the Sierra 140 gr. flatbase pro hunter bullets... the rejects. My famous Remchester loves this load. With 3100 shots fired it will still head shoot chickens off the bench. I used it last weekend at our practice session and won a round of "last target" with it. In fact, I believe I hit more targets than any one else with it.....including Mr.B :D I did lose one center hit ram, but not a money shot.

Scotty asked me where I bought bulk pack 7-08 ammo. My wife has not asked me yet if I have seen her new food storage container. :-$ I dunno....haven't seen it dear. :^o

Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

My wife has not asked me yet if I have seen her new food storage container
Just tell Sara that it is storing the precleaned food.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

I predict Bob finding a pile of ammo on his reloading bench and then having to go ask his wife if she has seen his new "ammo can".
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:J............Scotty asked me where I bought bulk pack 7-08 ammo. My wife has not asked me yet if I have seen her new food storage container. :-$ I dunno....haven't seen it dear. :^o
I see a call to Sarah is in order..... ;)
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

One of our hometown favorite shooters stopped at Hornady on his way to hunt in Minnesota last week. He grabbed me all the 7mm rejects they had. They gave him an extra 10% discount, too. These 162's have shot very well for me in the past.

Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Good deal, why the difference in prices, the bullet description looks the same?
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Something to do with the in house defect code (#) on the label. Over the years I've had a half dozen different codes on the boxes. Only two years ago these same bullets were $11.00 per box. I never had a bad box, all go where you point them.