Does everyone else tracks their scores?

This is what we do.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Does everyone else tracks their scores?

Post by DavidABQ »

I have been called a little strange at our monthly matches. Evidently I am the only person who tracks their scores and graphs them in Excel. I have the mean and standard deviations for my final aggregate scores and for the individual animals.

It just seems like the natural thing to do.

Does anyone else track and graph their scores?
Sill_Slayer
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Does everyone else tracks their scores?

Post by Sill_Slayer »

I do the same. :oops:

But Like you I just find it the natural thing to be doing. It helps keep track of your progression.
I also have a note book that I keep note of all variants in climate conditions , stance changes , ammo etc.

It allows me to collate the numbers and see when I shot best and how I shot best. It very quickly enabled me to hone what works for me
and saved me a lot of time not trying stuff that didn't work.

So keep it up it up aint doing no else no harm :D
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

It's a little OCD, even by my standards. But if it makes you happy, go to it! That's what this is for.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I would bet most of the best shooters keep diaries of every shot in matches and practice. Personally I write down what I got for each bank and animal. I just look for trends as I don't really have time to practice enough to make good use of the info.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

DavidABQ wrote:Does anyone else track and graph their scores?
Of course... with a macro to insert a new empty set of "score sheets" and another macro to update the 5 pivot tables that provide data for 6 charts
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

curmudgeon wrote:
DavidABQ wrote:Does anyone else track and graph their scores?
Of course... with a macro to insert a new empty set of "score sheets" and another macro to update the 5 pivot tables that provide data for 6 charts
WOW! :shock:
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I also keep a record of each match, showing hits/misses on each animal and compute avgs and SDs. It helps identify trends and the notes help next time I shoot at that range
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I am glad to see that I am not the only person who tracks their scores. My Wife just rolls her eyes and mutters, "Damn Engineers!"
Deau-we
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Deau-we »

Since I read Winning In Mind by Lanny Bassham, I have started keeping a journal of not only my scores in competition but how I practice as well. I know it's a little overkill, but hey, how else do you improve.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I saw a shooter in Az who was using his Mac I-Pad to show the hits - he would tough the screen where hit was and the shooter could see a black mark to indicate the point of impact. It seems that this might be a way to record the hits/misses and shoe any trends in aiming.

I don't have an I-Pad, but I'm pretty sure someone could design an App to do just this. Show the hits/misses, track bullet strikes and record match scores...could this also be a Smart Phone App?

M
Last edited by snaketail2 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
fartsinpublic
B Poster
B Poster

Post by fartsinpublic »

M, I was just wondering the other day of there was a "Silhouette App", to track practice, match and which rifle, target scale, etc.

Seems like there's be some takers.

For me, I have no idea where on the animal I hit, but I think I can tell when I hit and when I miss. :D

Pat
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Pat, with real good follow-through, you should be able to see your hits. Start with the rams and work your way back to the pigs.

You can paint a bank of targets, mark every hit on a cork board with numbered pins, then check your results when you set them back up and re-paint. Practice calling your shots and you will get better at it. It will also help you improve your follow-through.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote:Pat, with real good follow-through, you should be able to see your hits. Start with the rams and work your way back to the pigs.

You can paint a bank of targets, mark every hit on a cork board with numbered pins, then check your results when you set them back up and re-paint. Practice calling your shots and you will get better at it. It will also help you improve your follow-through.

That is a very good suggestion!
\m/
fartsinpublic
B Poster
B Poster

Post by fartsinpublic »

I like that idea. I typically go out and reset any old bank, usually the rams since I walk a little quicker than some of the guys, but if I go reset the ones I just shot, I can check the splatter mark.
Jerry G wrote:Practice calling your shots and you will get better at it.
I typically start calling out to them in my mind as soon as I'm in position. "Don't miss... Don't misss... C'mon, work with me here." I found that whispering to them through the stock made others look at me funny.
Jerry G wrote:It will also help you improve your follow-through.
And the follow through is sometimes a "...darnit!"

:D
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

fartsinpublic wrote:
I found that whispering to them through the stock made others look at me funny.

:D
People are always looking at me funny but then I am rather funny looking. I suspect the big ears and big nose could be the reason.