World Cup of Silhouette

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

World Cup of Silhouette

Post by dustinflint »

For a couple of years, I've wanted to hold a regional match with a "match play" scoring system for something different and new. I've run through the idea of hosting a match like this at Winnsboro but we haven't come that far yet. This is my solution: the WORLD CUP OF SILHOUETTE!

Why the World Cup of Silhouette?
1. The name is not taken.
2. The World Cup is going on now and it's awesome.
3. Everyone in the world can participate!

What is the World Cup of Silhouette?
1. It's a postal match.
2. It is match play, so the only person you're shooting against is the shooter that you are paired against for that particular match.
3. It's a worldwide smallbore silhouette extravaganza (we could do this for Cowboy, too)!

When and where is the match?
1. Everywhere, all the time. (okay really just at silhouette ranges and just from March through October)
2. Any NRA Registered or Approved Silhouette match counts; local or big match, you just have to declare that the match is going to count before you shoot it. (actually, it doesn't have to be an NRA match, but it has to be an organized recurring match with 1/5 scale targets at 40, 60, 77 and 100 meters - we want shooters in Europe, Africa, Canada, Mexico, Ireland everywhere to play)

When will it start and end?
1. It will start in March 2015 and end in October 2015 (although we might do a short test run this year if there is interest).

How much will it cost?
1. $10

I am confused, just explain it to me step by step:

All you really have to do is fill out an entry form, send it to me with $10, shoot your normal monthly match and email me a picture of your scorecard each month.

Step 1 - Sign up
1. Print out the entry form and mail it and $10 to me sometime between January 1, 2015 and March 1, 2015.
2. You will be required to shoot one match per month while you are in the tournament so you will tell me on your entry form the date of your match each month from March through October.
3. The tournament will have either 24, 32, 48, 64, 96 or 128 shooters depending on entries received before the cutoff.

Step 2 - Shoot the Group Stage in March - May
1. Every shooter will be placed in a 4-shooter group and each shooter will be paired against each of the other three shooters. We will use the groups so that every shooter is guaranteed to stay in the tournament for at least 3 months.
2. After you shoot your match in March, email me a picture of your scorecard and I will compare it against the shooter you are against and you will both get either a win, loss or draw. These are 80-shot matches (Standard plus Hunter or Heavy/light, if you shoot two 60 shot matches they will be converted to two 40-shot matches)
3. After you shoot your match in April, email me a picture of your scorecard and I will compare it against the shooter you are against and you will both get either a win, loss or draw.
4. After you shoot your match in May, email me a picture of your scorecard and I will compare it against the shooter you are against and you will both get either a win, loss or draw.
5. After May, the top 2 shooters from each group will advance to the knockout stage of the tournament.

Step 3 - Shoot the first knockout round in June
1. After you shoot your match in June, email me a picture of your scorecard and I will compare it against the shooter you are against and the best score moves on to the next round (ties will be broken by reverse animal count)

Step 4 - Shoot the second knockout round in July
1. After you shoot your match in July, email me a picture of your scorecard and I will compare it against the shooter you are against and the best score moves on to the next round (ties will be broken by reverse animal count).

Step 5 - Shoot the third knockout round in August.
1. After you shoot your match in August, email me a picture of your scorecard and I will compare it against the shooter you are against and the best score moves on to the next round (ties will be broken by reverse animal count)

Step 6 - Shoot the fourth knockout round in September
1. After you shoot your match in September, email me a picture of your scorecard and I will compare it against the shooter you are against and the best score moves on to the next round (ties will be broken by reverse animal count)

Step 7 - Shoot the championship match in October (or maybe September)
1. If you've made it this far, after you shoot the championship match score, email me a picture of your scorecard and I will compare it against the shooter you are against and the best score wins the World Cup of Silhouette (ties will be broken by reverse animal count)

Step 8 - Get paid!
1. The winner will get 1/3 of the total money collected.
2. 1/3 of the money will be divided evenly amongst the shooters that made it to the round of 8, excluding the winner of the tournament. (or Round of 6 if it is a 48 or 96 person tournament)
3. 1/3 of the money will be divided evenly amongst 8 shooters drawn from a hat that did not make it to the round of 8.

So, you don't have to shoot well to win some money and you don't have to be a master class shooter to win some money or even win the whole tournament. There are lots of factors that will play a part: your opponent could have a bad day or the conditions could be much worse for a master class shooter paired against a AA shooter and the AA shooter could score an upset. There is no telling who will win this thing. I will post updated of the tournament's progress on SteelChickens so everyone can follow along.

As an example, lets say we get 64 shooters. At $10/shooter that's $640 of total prize money. The winner gets $213.33; the shooters that make it to the Round of 8 but don't win each get $30.48. Then the 56 shooters that didn't make the top 8 get thrown into the hat and 8 are drawn and each of those wins $26.66. If we have 128 shooters, the grand prize is $426.66, the top 8 get $60.95 each and those drawn get $53.33 each. Not bad for a $10 entry fee.

Here is a visual of the bracket for a 32-shooter field:
World Cup 32.jpg
So what does everyone think? Good idea? Bad Idea? Would you participate?

Dustin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeauxd
Unclassified Poster

Re: World Cup of Silhouette

Post by jeauxd »

Sounds like a lot of fun Dustin. I'll play.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

This is a very cool idea. I like it.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Sounds like an interesting idea :-bd
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I am all in. This could very well regenerate declining interest in the sport. we'll learn it.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Sounds like fun, but for an A shooter like myself I would think you need some kind of handicap in place. I'm not sure how/what but something. I could shoot the best score of my life and still lose every match by a lot....
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Sill_Slayer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Sill_Slayer »

I am based in Ireland and would love to shoot this . Would that be a problem ?
jeauxd
Unclassified Poster

Post by jeauxd »

No Problem at all Sill_Slayer. That's one of the main points of it being a postal match and calling it the World Cup of Silhouette. It gives everyone a chance to compete against people from anywhere that rifle Silhouette is shot.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Yep, all are welcome. The more shooters the better and the more from different parts of the world the better. I'll get things together and we'll do a practice run with 32 shooters without a group stage for the rest of this year. No entry fee until 2015.

I'll post the details tonight or tomorrow and we will try it out.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

OldRanger wrote:Sounds like fun, but for an A shooter like myself I would think you need some kind of handicap in place. I'm not sure how/what but something. I could shoot the best score of my life and still lose every match by a lot....
I thought about that and it's a consideration. I designed a handicap system for our year-long club championship here in Louisiana and it is fun and allows everyone to compete against each other. The problem is that no matter how you do it, it punishes the master class shooters. The way we do it here is average each shooter's last five scores and give a handicap of however many shots needed to get that average up to 40. So, if you average a 20/40, you get 20 shots added onto the end of your score. A master Shooter that averages and 35 gets five points added to the score, but even if the master shooter shoots a 40, the best (s)he can do is a 45 where as if the lower-class shooter shoots a 26 then she gets a 46. This puts the master Shooter in a position where no matter how well he shoots he may not be able to win.

I think the only way to handicap it and keep the integrity is to have separate brackets for each class. So, if we had 32 master shooters and 32 AAA shooters and 32 AA shooters and 32 A/B shooters, we could do four brackets and keep everyone shooting against people in their class. I am more than happy to do that if interest is there, However, if we don't get enough shooters to fill up all the brackets then it won't work. Also, it dilutes the prize money and makes for less prizes for the winner.

That is why we are designating 1/3 of the prize money as door prizes for the guys and girls that don't make the top eight. The point is that even though you may be a longshot to advance in the tournament, you still have a chance to win some money and still have a chance to shoot against shooters that you might never Get a chance to shoot against.

It is a work in progress.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Let's do a test run of this tournament starting now: Since we are already in July, we will abbreviate the group stage and do a 32-shooter tournament starting here in July. The first 32 entries I get will be entered. There will be no entry fees or prizes for this tournament; we'll start all that in 2015 and get the kinks worked out here in 2014.

There are 4 ways to enter:

1. Fill out an attached entry form and email it to louisianasilhouette@gmail.com

2. Copy the entry form text below and paste it into a new post here and fill it out and post it.

3. Copy the entry form text below and paste it into a PM to me and fill it out and PM me.

4. Copy the entry form text below and paste it into an email and fill it out and email it to louisianasilhouette@gmail.com.

Here is the entry form text:

Name:
City & Country of Residence:
Email Address:
What is your classification in Standard Rifle? M AAA AA A B
What is your classification in Hunter Rifle? M AAA AA A B
What is the average score of your last 10 matches?
What date will you shoot your July Match?
What date will you shoot your August Match?
What date will you shoot your September Match?
What date will you shoot your October Match?

Note that any date that you know you're going to shoot 80 shots is fine. If you want to use the smallbore nationals for your July match, simply pick one day of three and send in pictures of your scorecards from that day. Local matches are fine too.

If you enter you will get an email with the following instructions:

1. Competitors are required to shoot one 80-shot match/month on the dates provided above (a 40 shot standard match plus a 40-shot hunter match or one 80-shot standard or hunter match or a 60-shot standard plus a 60-shot hunter match). If you need to change a date, please email the change to louisianasilhouette@gmail.com prior to the first day of the month.
2. Matches should be fired at organized matches.
3. Targets must be 1/5 scale NRA targets at 40, 60, 77 and 100 meters.
4. After the match is fired, please sign your scorecard, have three other shooters sign the card to verify the score and email a picture of the scorecard to louisianasilhouette@gmail.com.

The first 32 entries get in. I am entering so it's the first 31 from now on...

Dustin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dustinflint on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Name: Dustin Flint
City & Country of Residence: Baton Rouge, USA
Email Address: louisianasilhouette@gmail.com
What is your classification in Standard Rifle? M
What is your classification in Hunter Rifle? M
What is the average score of your last 10 matches? 37/40
What date will you shoot your July Match? 7/19/14
What date will you shoot your August Match? 8/23/14
What date will you shoot your September Match? 9/6/14
What date will you shoot your October Match? 10/25/14
Sill_Slayer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Sill_Slayer »

Name: joe price

City & Country of Residence: Ireland

Email Address:joeprice@live.ie

What is your classification in Standard Rifle? A

What is your classification in Hunter Rifle? A

What is the average score of your last 10 matches? 20 - 25

What date will you shoot your July Match? 17 th

What date will you shoot your August Match? 4th

What date will you shoot your September Match? 1st

What date will you shoot your October Match? 6th
Last edited by Sill_Slayer on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

How about working Air Rifle in?
Stay Safe
Mark
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

High Speed wrote:How about working Air Rifle in?
Stay Safe
Mark
I don't think we have enough folks regularly shooting air rifle silhouette to support a tournament this big. BUT, if this catches on I'd be happy to do air rifle, as well as cowboy. Sign up for the smallbore tourney and lets get the kinks worked out and see how it goes.

Dustin