Scopes vs Irons

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Scopes vs Irons

Post by chuck d »

After 20 years of NRA HP I have committed to Silhouette shooting, and really enjoying it. One thing I was famous for was swithcing equipment, constantly. I did hurt me score wise, but shot a lot of different guns :)
As I get more into this, I am wondering if scope to Iron sights is s problem. I really suffered going from arpature (round) sights to a post in HP- some really good shooters have told me it was a season to get dialed in on one from the other. I want to make the most of this, as I am starting to get to the Older side of life- and Cowboyhas several disiplines. With a scope I can shoot only SB, no chance of HP silhouette.

So looking for any experiences of you who do or have shot both scpopes and cowboy thur the season. Is it a problem, or are you better to concentrate on one?

thanks
chuck
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Scopes vs Irons

Post by Innocent »

chuck,
Having shot SB for 20+ years with irons before breaking down and buying a scope, and now back to irons in cowboy I don't see a lot of difference in my shooting. Having different size apertures for the different lighting conditions helps a lot, much like having the ability to adjust power on a scope for the various environmental conditions. As for going back and forth to scope/iron I don't see a lot of adjustment needed in my shooting techniques.
Now, going from irons to laser on a pistol does take it's toll on my abilities.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Scopes vs Irons

Post by Tlee »

Chuck -

It's an individual thang... I shot nothing but scoped for years, assuming my eyesight wasn't ever gonna allow me to shoot iron sights. Finally, at a state pistol Silhouette match one day I thought "what the heck, how bad can it be?... It's something to do while waiting around for the next scoped match".... Well, I shot AAA on my 1st two attempts (and I hadn't even shot a single AAA score with the scoped gun yet).

What I discovered, 1st on the pistol, later on the rifle, is that correcting the vision to see the front sight clearly is EVERYTHING, and the target's focus is secondary.... Heck, most of the time I can't even see the target clearly enough to tell if it's facing right or left (seriously, especially the Ram). I simply put the post at the same spot in the blurred target image every time.... If I miss, 95% of the time its because I failed to break the trigger on the target, not because I couldn't see the target clearly!

Nowadays, I don't know if it's because I've developed the habit of shooting with iron sight most of the time or what, but when I do shoot scoped now, I find myself turning the magnification down, down, down (WAY below what I used years ago), in order for the wobble factor to not distract me as much.... Recently I wasn't happy with my 1st match scoped score at the HP Silhouette nationals so I decided to shoot my iron sight gun in the next scoped event, and was rewarded with a personal best score. I'm not giving up on scopes yet, but I definitely won't hesitate to shoot the iron sights if I'm struggling with the scope!

just my .02,

-Tim